ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Clarification on dependent work rights

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rg1234
Newly Registered

Clarification on dependent work rights

Post by rg1234 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:57 am

Hi,

I need some help on understanding dependent work rights.

I currently am working under Tier 2 Visa and planning to switch into Tier 4 General. My course will start (as per CAS) on 9th October. Thus, I can start the processing of this switch as early as 9/10 September. My wife is working on Tier 2 dependent Visa and wish to continue working during my studies.

Reading through UKBA website I understand that if the course if for 12 months or more, then my wife will be eligible to work (given that she is not a doctor or a dentist)
This part is quite crystal clear.

The part that's not explicitly explained is the dependent's work eligibility before 9th October (My course start date).

I am planning to use the premium service and the dates that suit me are between 10 -14th September. If I take the appointment say on 14th September and if been lucky to get the Visa, then what happens to work right of my dependent.
I am sure that she can work from 9th October until the Visa expiry date. But whether her work eligibility retains between 14th September and 9th October? If her work eligibility doesn’t stay, then I will be inclined to apply Visa by post that will allow her to work until the outcome and that will certainly not be known before 1.5- 2 months.

I called up UKBA as well but the person who attended my call didn’t seem knowledgeable and advised me that you will get to know when you visit the PEO on the appointment date. :roll: - Not a comforting reply.

Request experts to provide me with your opinion.
Thanks,
RG

rg1234
Newly Registered

Re: Clarification on dependent work rights

Post by rg1234 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:55 pm

Hi,

Request moderators/experts to shed some light.

Thanks,
RG

aspirant910

Re: Clarification on dependent work rights

Post by aspirant910 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:19 pm

Sorry....can't help you in your query. However, did you returned to your home country (outside uk) to switch to tier 4 from tier 2 visa.