ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Doctorate Extension Scheme 8 Years Time Limit

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

questionguy65

Doctorate Extension Scheme 8 Years Time Limit

Post by questionguy65 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:59 pm

Hi all,

I am just wondering if Doctorate Extension Scheme visa would be included in the 8 years Tier 4 time limit as I get different information.

On UKBA (.GOV) website it says: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... l_15_f.pdf
102. In all cases, if you have already completed a course leading to the award of a
PhD, Post Graduate research qualification or Research Masters Degree (as listed
in Annex 5 of this guidance) in the UK, the grant of leave you are seeking must not
lead to you spending more than 8 years in the UK as a Tier 4 (General) Migrant, or
as a Student.
On UKCISA website it says: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/International- ... -on-study/
if you have already completed a PhD (or one of the postgraduate research qualifications listed in Annex 5 of the Home Office's Tier 4 policy guidance [^]) in the UK, any new Tier 4 application is subject to an 8-year limit (including courses below degree level, but not including Tier 4 leave granted under the Doctorate Extension Scheme).
Which one is correct? Can I get Doctorate Extension Scheme considering I have spent more than 8 years including my PhD?

Thanks.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Doctorate Extension Scheme 8 Years Time Limit

Post by sah10406 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:51 pm

Paragraph 101, which precedes the paragraph you have quoted from the Tier 4 Policy Guidance, confirms that extra periods of leave granted before and after the course are deducted from the cap. This would include time spent on the Doctorate Extension Scheme.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:15 pm

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

questionguy65

Post by questionguy65 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:50 pm

Thanks for you reply.

Paragraph 101 talks about the five years limit. What about the 8 years cap?

questionguy65

Post by questionguy65 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:00 pm

sah10406 wrote:Paragraph 101, which precedes the paragraph you have quoted from the Tier 4 Policy Guidance, confirms that extra periods of leave granted before and after the course are deducted from the cap. This would include time spent on the Doctorate Extension Scheme.

Thanks for you reply.

Paragraph 101 talks about the five years limit. What about the 8 years cap?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:41 pm

Forget the Policy Guidance. Your application is assessed under the Immigration Rules. See immigration rule 24ZY(bb).
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.