ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Extension of Tier 4 Visa

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sweetbutterfly
Newly Registered

Extension of Tier 4 Visa

Post by sweetbutterfly » Mon May 11, 2015 8:46 pm

Hi,

I'm currently studying a 5-year medical degree at an institution in England. I have recently been accepted to a 1-year course at another institution which I intend on undertaking this September, and following this I will go back to medical school to complete my degree.

From what I understand - and correct me if I'm wrong- I will be required to apply for a NEW Tier 4 visa for next year that is linked to this other institution. I will then have to additionally extend the five year visa for my current institution.

I had a look at the visa guidelines it says that if I'm already in the UK I can only EXTEND my visa, and not apply for a new one (https://www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa/apply)- does this mean that I will have to leave the country to apply for the new Tier 4 visa for my 1-year course? Or is it possible to extend my visa to be tied to a separate institution just for a year?

Thanks in advance!

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Extension of Tier 4 Visa

Post by sah10406 » Tue May 12, 2015 11:31 am

sweetbutterfly wrote:does this mean that I will have to leave the country to apply for the new Tier 4 visa for my 1-year course?
No. Your current sponsor will let the Home Office know that you are interrupting your studies with them, and your visa will be curtailed. Meanwhile, as long as the new studies start no more than 28 days after your curtailment date, you can apply for a Tier 4 extension using the the new sponsor's CAS.
sweetbutterfly wrote:Or is it possible to extend my visa to be tied to a separate institution just for a year?
Yes, see above.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.