ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

further extension, PhD study

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

londonphd

further extension, PhD study

Post by londonphd » Wed May 06, 2015 6:32 pm

Hi,
I came to the UK in September 2006, ever since I have been on student visa. Started with diploma course and currently, I am a PhD student. I have been phd student since January 2010 and I am expected to complete the course by 1 November 2015. As you can see, by the completion date, I will have done this course for 5 years and 10 months. My supervisor thinks I will need at least another 12 months or so. I will consult with the international student admission officers at some point this month. But, before doing so, I was wondering if I can hear suggestions/advice from you.

Also, what do you think, will there be legal or other obstacles to further visa extension? Is there a limit to the number of years one can do a PhD course?

Thank you!

askhan

Re: further extension, PhD study

Post by askhan » Fri May 08, 2015 1:42 pm

HI Mate.

Well it depends on HO, as long as you University is properly recognised and your supervisor can issue you a letter for extension I dont see any point why would HO will refused to give you visa.

Thanks
A
Kind Regard,
A.Khan
-------------------------

londonphd

Post by londonphd » Fri May 08, 2015 3:26 pm

Hi,
Thanks, yes, it appears there is no cap on Postgraduate research study and it is not included in the 5 year cap - spoke to the uni's student welfare officers yesterday. My worry was the fact that I have already spent 8+ years studying in this country and Home office would not extend my stay any further.
Thanks

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sat May 09, 2015 10:08 am

You have misunderstood the 8-year cap. That is for people who want to extend under Tier 4 for further studies *after* their PhD. PhD study itself is excluded from any cap.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.