ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Gf is Chinese, studies in UK want to get married

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Smgordon
Newly Registered

Gf is Chinese, studies in UK want to get married

Post by Smgordon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:41 pm

Ok, from my title, my girlfriend (Chinese national) and I want to marry. We are together for two years now. She has a valid student visa. Can we simply apply and marry? I have a well paid job and a house in the uk. I am a uk citizen. Appreciate some help as the guidelines are ambiguous to me. Thanks.

Casa

Re: Gf is Chinese, studies in UK want to get married

Post by Casa » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:03 pm

Firstly, in order to marry in the UK you will have to register with a Home Office designated Registry Office. The Registrar is then legally bound to notify the HO who can then extend the notification period from 28 to 70 days in order to interview you both if they choose to do so, before the wedding can take place. When does your fiancee's current visa expire?
Alternatively, if you can show that you have been living together in a relationship 'akin to marriage' for at least 2 years, your fiancee could apply for a FLR(M) Unmarried Partner visa.
Minimum earnings of £18,600 p.a required. A1 level English from an approved test provider (or a degree taught in English) and she will have to pay the NHS surcharge of £500 online before submitting the visa application.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Amin1988
Newly Registered

Post by Amin1988 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:16 am

Hi all,
I applied for flr m on 15 December 2015 from Uk.My ielts certificate was valid upto 20th December 2015 that means on the date of application it was valid.I got ielts points average 6:00(Academic) from British council,sylhet,bangladesh on 21 December 2013.Also I got 7 points on speaking module and 6 points on listening module.This exam centre is still approved for ielts exam by home office.also i came uk on 15 March 2014 via tier 4 students visa by using this ielts certificate(entry clearance visa).Home made new rules from 5 November 2015 that they no longer accept ielts certificate which taken before 6 April 2015.So my question is will home office accept my ielts certificate as valid for flr m application?

Smgordon
Newly Registered

Post by Smgordon » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:11 am

My girl friend's visa will run to end of the current academic year. She will continue to apply for next year and so on until the 3 year course is complete. My salary exceeds to minimum required.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:20 am

So you have plenty of time to marry at your leisure. I should also mention that not all couples are interviewed and it shouldn't be anything to be concerned about. Post if you have any specific questions about the FLR(M) application. Your wife can switch to spouse on form FLR(M) immediately after the wedding, either in person at a Premium Services Centre (PSC) for a premium fee, or by post. Once your wife's spouse visa has been granted she will be free to work without restriction.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Smgordon
Newly Registered

Post by Smgordon » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:03 am

Casa,

I appreciate your feedback. I spoke with my local (Northampton) HO designated Registry, however, the lady could only google for answers to my questions, then gave up and suggested I speak with the Home Office. My questions were really
1. What is the step by step process to make an appointment at a registry office ?
2. Once "registered", how long is this valid, such that the ceremony can be booked etc.?
3. What documents etc. need to be taken along to satisfy the registrar ?

One can go round and round in circles looking at the websites.

Any input would again be appreciated.

S.

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:10 am

I'm astounded that the Registrar isn't aware of the requirements! This link should help you:
https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-part ... n-national
(Casa, not CR001)

Smgordon
Newly Registered

Post by Smgordon » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:19 am

Casa,

Thanks. I now have received some quality feedback using the weblink from northants registry. One last question (!) it states that You and your partner will need to have resided in Northamptonshire for at least 9 days, before attending the appointment." ; is this cumulative in the past or immediately prior to the appointment? It may seem a daft question but it makes a difference.

Regards,
S.

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:22 am

I believe that it's the last 9 days prior to registering the intent to marry.
(Casa, not CR001)