ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please help, Tier 4 Visa has been Curtailed

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Drifter25
Newly Registered

Please help, Tier 4 Visa has been Curtailed

Post by Drifter25 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:19 pm

Hello,

I am from America currently living in the UK where I was previously taking a MA course (1 year) which has now ended. My course started late August/early September and was suppose to end July 22nd (according to my academic calendar) but it actually ended July 19th (date of my final presentation). My visa originally ends on January 19, 2017 but I was sent an email stating that because I have completed my course early my Visa will be curtailed. I have read through various sources, including the email that was sent, that my Visa will likely be condensed to 60 days. This is a shame because I planned to find a job in animation that offered sponsorship so that I can leave to remain but I don't think this will be the case considering what little time I will have.

At this point I am trying to consider the best option. I have yet to receive my letter of curtailment and my university sent out the report to Home Office the 4th of August. Is there a specific time I should wait to receive it before I book my plane ticket? Also should I still try to apply for jobs in hopes of finding one that will offer a sponsorship or is the curtailment time too little for there to be any hope?

Thank you!

Greenie
Respected Guru

Re: Please help, Tier 4 Visa has been Curtailed

Post by Greenie » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:44 pm

your dates don't sound right. if your course started late august/early September and was due to finish on 22nd July you would only have been issued a visa for two months after the end of the course, not 6 months. I also don't understand why your university would report you for finishing 3 days early this doesn't sound correct.

keysersoze22

Post by keysersoze22 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:25 am

Take your original CAS letter to your International Office, or International Student Advice Team. Your original CAS letter should have a course end date of 19/09/2015. Ask to see why it is that your course finished early, and why.

Also - you need to find out what report was made for you. If your University reported you for Early Course Completion, you will generally get the extra 4 months on your Visa (though you need to ask them, because they've reported you for early course completion with a year, so the UKVI may only give you 2 months). However, unlike other reports you can work legally during this curtailment process. Ordinarily you can't work when you have been reported to the UKVI.

Drifter25
Newly Registered

Post by Drifter25 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:04 am

keysersoze22 wrote:Take your original CAS letter to your International Office, or International Student Advice Team. Your original CAS letter should have a course end date of 19/09/2015. Ask to see why it is that your course finished early, and why.

Also - you need to find out what report was made for you. If your University reported you for Early Course Completion, you will generally get the extra 4 months on your Visa (though you need to ask them, because they've reported you for early course completion with a year, so the UKVI may only give you 2 months). However, unlike other reports you can work legally during this curtailment process. Ordinarily you can't work when you have been reported to the UKVI.
Thank you both for the reply. As it turns out, my CAS letter does have an end date of 19/09/2016. If that is the case then my course did end early since it finished 19/07/2016.

But I am confused why I was given the date of 19/09/2016 in the first place if my course's academic calendar says otherwise. It seems that curtailing visas for early completion is the norm to rush people out of the country.

In the email they state that they reported me for Early Course Completion.

So do you think there is some sort of mix up?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:29 pm

Drifter25 wrote:As it turns out, my CAS letter does have an end date of 19/09/2016. If that is the case then my course did end early since it finished 19/07/2016.

But I am confused why I was given the date of 19/09/2016 in the first place if my course's academic calendar says otherwise. It seems that curtailing visas for early completion is the norm to rush people out of the country?
No, it just seems like the university made a mistake with the course end date on the original CAS, and hence you were given the wrong end date for your visa. Visa end date should have been 19/7/2016 +2 months, not 19/9/2016 +4 months. This will now be corrected, and your visa will be curtailed to 19/9/2016.

So you do still have a short window of opportunity to switch to Tier 2 within the UK.

You might want to let the university know that while you understand now that your visa should only ever have been valid until 19/9/2016, you were rather misled into thinking you had all this extra time in which to switch to Tier 2. It can't be changed back, because it is actually correct, but you are justified to be unhappy about the talk to-up.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Drifter25
Newly Registered

Post by Drifter25 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:47 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Drifter25 wrote:As it turns out, my CAS letter does have an end date of 19/09/2016. If that is the case then my course did end early since it finished 19/07/2016.

But I am confused why I was given the date of 19/09/2016 in the first place if my course's academic calendar says otherwise. It seems that curtailing visas for early completion is the norm to rush people out of the country?
No, it just seems like the university made a mistake with the course end date on the original CAS, and hence you were given the wrong end date for your visa. Visa end date should have been 19/7/2016 +2 months, not 19/9/2016 +4 months. This will now be corrected, and your visa will be curtailed to 19/9/2016.

So you do still have a short window of opportunity to switch to Tier 2 within the UK.

You might want to let the university know that while you understand now that your visa should only ever have been valid until 19/9/2016, you were rather misled into thinking you had all this extra time in which to switch to Tier 2. It can't be changed back, because it is actually correct, but you are justified to be unhappy about the talk to-up.
I see, this clears it up. Still trying to figure all of my options.

How difficulty would it be to take up a 6 month course? Basically extending my tier 4 visa? Or is there somewhere you can point me to a guide for international students already in the UK looking to study another course? Thank you

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:34 pm

Drifter25 wrote:How difficulty would it be to take up a 6 month course? Basically extending my tier 4 visa?
Depends on the course. It would need to start no more than 28 days after the end of your current leave, plus it would need to be at a higher academic level than your previous course, or at the same level but showing logical academic progression.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.