ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student Visa with Recent Conviction??

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

greeneyes
Newly Registered

Student Visa with Recent Conviction??

Post by greeneyes » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:47 pm

I am getting ready to send off my Tier 4 application, for my master's program that starts in January. I'm an American student, and I was convicted with Reckless Driving this spring. I have immediately paid my fines/dues/etc. and completed the judge's requirements. The judge even reduced the fine, which is usually unheard of. No jail time, but I am on probation for a year (no official meet-ups). Apart from that, I think I have one speeding ticket from long ago and talking on the cell phone while driving. I'm an American, and I'm getting very nervous and confused about the new changes to unspent criminal convictions (i.e. applicants who have had a non-custodial sentence may be refused if the offence occurred within 12 months). But is that just for the ILR applicants? Does Tier 4 not count as that? What are the odds that I will get accepted- I already have my financial aid government sponsors, my CAS, etc. I am also planning on writing a personal statement letter. Please, please help. I am so nervous that I can't sleep until this is figured out. I've looked everywhere, and there hasn't been much on recent convictions. Thanks in advance.

Casa

Re: Student Visa with Recent Conviction??

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:06 pm

Are you permitted to leave the country (or even the State) while on probation? You may not be stopped when you leave but it will probably be flagged up when you re-enter the US as a violation of your probation. Do you have a probation officer?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

greeneyes
Newly Registered

Post by greeneyes » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:11 pm

Yeah I have no restrictions on me, I don't even have a probation officer. I'm allowed to travel

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:13 pm

The application form requires you to state any criminal convictions, including traffic offences, that you have obtained in any country, and to provide details. This is because the Immigration Rules include provision to refuse the application of someone with certain criminal convictions, under the general grounds for refusing
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

greeneyes
Newly Registered

Post by greeneyes » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:23 pm

Thank you for your advice, I am planning on declaring all of my unspent convictions. I am just wondering if anyone has experience/has heard of people with previous criminal convictions that are reduced approved student visas, compared to ILR visas.