ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from Tier 4 to Tier 2 Dependant before course ends

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kmdeep
Newly Registered

Switching from Tier 4 to Tier 2 Dependant before course ends

Post by kmdeep » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:51 pm

Hi all,

I am currently studying towards my MPhil (for 1.6 years) in UK and I will be completing my studies by December 2016. My spouse is making a Tier 2 application. My concern is whether I can apply along with him. Am I eligible to switch my visa from tier 4 to tier 2 dependant? In some websites, it's mentioned that I can apply if I had completed 12 months of my study but in some websites it's mentioned that this rule is applicable only for PhD degree. I am extremely confused. Can somebody throw some light on this issue asap please. I appreciate your quick reply.

Thanks a ton !!!

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Re: Switching from Tier 4 to Tier 2 Dependant before course

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:40 am

You can switch to being a tier 2 dependent from tier 4. That is a simple straight forward matter.

Switching from tier 4 dependent to tier 2 is more complicated. Is your partner your tier 4 dependent?

kmdeep
Newly Registered

Post by kmdeep » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:06 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Yes. You are right. My partner is currently on my dependant student visa and now his company is sponsoring for Tier 2 application.

Kind regards

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:12 am

kmdeep wrote:Am I eligible to switch my visa from tier 4 to tier 2 dependant?
Yes.
kmdeep wrote:In some websites, it's mentioned that I can apply if I had completed 12 months of my study but in some websites it's mentioned that this rule is applicable only for PhD degree. I am extremely confused.
You appear to be looking at the eligibility for switching from Tier 4 to Tier 2, which is not what you are doing. You are switching from Tier 4 to PBS Dependant.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

kmdeep
Newly Registered

Post by kmdeep » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:09 am

Hi,

Thank you so much for the clarification. You are right. I got confused between Tier 2 and Tier 2 dependant as there are no explicit requirements/guidance provided. Also, in most of the discussion forums, nobody has searched or posted about my current situation. It is either the other way around or a different case. Hence the confusion :roll: Fingers crossed now :)

Kind regards !!!