ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

tier 4 dependent visa work rights

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rsrameshsunil

tier 4 dependent visa work rights

Post by rsrameshsunil » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:10 pm

a quick question around tier 4 dependent visa work rights. I can see the guidelines say dependents are allowed to work if the main applicants are enrolled for pg course of 12 months or more.

My question is how is this determined ? If a student takes up a typical 1 year Msc or MBA program. Technically course start and end dates would be 11.9 months approx. Does this allow the dependent to work ?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: tier 4 dependent visa work rights

Post by sah10406 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:24 pm

rsrameshsunil wrote:My question is how is this determined ?
You count how long it is from the start date to the end date.
rsrameshsunil wrote:If a student takes up a typical 1 year Msc or MBA program. Technically course start and end dates would be 11.9 months approx. Does this allow the dependent to work ?
No.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:20 am

There is a much easier way to work it out.... Your tier 4 visa will give your right to work as either being 10 hours or 20 hours during term time. If that is stated then your dependent can work without restriction.
If you are enquiring unfront before you apply you have to be attending a HEI on a degree or above level course that lasts more than twelve months to qualify for work rights for you thus giving your dependent work rights too

rsrameshsunil

Post by rsrameshsunil » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:30 pm

there are some universities that offer 2 year courses. 1 year study and 1 year industrial training. Does this satisfy the condition of 12 months or more PG course ? Would the dependent have work rights in this case ?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:42 am

rsrameshsunil wrote:there are some universities that offer 2 year courses. 1 year study and 1 year industrial training. Does this satisfy the condition of 12 months or more PG course ? Would the dependent have work rights in this case ?
That's a question for the university. Ask them what are the course dates. I can't see how it would be anything other than 2 years.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Nitin Alavala
Newly Registered

Post by Nitin Alavala » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:37 pm

rsrameshsunil wrote:there are some universities that offer 2 year courses. 1 year study and 1 year industrial training. Does this satisfy the condition of 12 months or more PG course ? Would the dependent have work rights in this case ?

Hi rsrameshsunil,
Do you have any update on this? Can dependents of 2 year MSc course work in UK?