ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 4 nationality change

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

xucho
Newly Registered

Tier 4 nationality change

Post by xucho » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:08 pm

TL;DR - Tier 4 visa, got new citizenship which is EU. What should I do, if anything?

I am currently on a Tier 4 visa as a non-EEA citizen (already my second one, undergrad + postgrad, starting my 6th year of studies in the UK) and I have just been granted citizenship from an EU member state (I had lived there on permanent residence before coming to the UK and it is still my home out of the UK). I will not be giving up my previous citizenship. With this change I technically no longer need the UK visa. So do I have to inform the Home Office about this change and if so, how? How can I be taken off the Tier 4 visa status and switched to an EU national? (I don't mind about course fees implications in this case, I have already found out that can't be changed.) Do I even have to do anything?

I have spent hours looking for any advice on this but it seems my case is too rare to be easily googleable... Any help on this matter would be very much appreciated!

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Re: Tier 4 nationality change

Post by Frontier Mole » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:10 am

You have a range of choices but it really does not matter what you do or don't do as it has not real effect in law. As you are a full EEA citizen exercising your treaty rights you can do as you please.

It is more good practice than anything else to tidy things up.

You can inform UKVI about your change in status. They won't do anything other than place a note on file. They won't curtail your t4 leave as you have leave under EEA status.
Telling your sponsor - that is a good idea as they will tell UKVI and as above. Saves you some effort :-)

You technically should return your BRP card but again no one is going to chase you for it.

One piece of advice do inform DVLA about your new status as they do checks with UKVI to see if you are an overstayer and cancel your licence! You can see that your old nationality could be a problem there.

xucho
Newly Registered

Re: Tier 4 nationality change

Post by xucho » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:54 pm

Thank you for the very useful advice, it is much appreciated!:)