ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 4 status extension

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

londonphd

Tier 4 status extension

Post by londonphd » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:46 am

Hi,

I will have to extend my Tier 4 status by another year to complete my PhD. My current visa expires on 1 March 2016, and my current course ends on 1 November 2015. When is the earliest time to apply for extension given the dates above? I want to apply for extension as early as possible, preferably in September 2015, to minimise the hassle during the academic year, is it possible?

I have not spoken to the immigration adviser at the uni, but hope to do so sometime in August.

Many thanks in advance!

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Tier 4 status extension

Post by sah10406 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:47 am

londonphd wrote:When is the earliest time to apply for extension given the dates above?
The day your Tier 4 sponsor issues a CAS for the new period of study.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

aaliya1986
Member of Standing

Post by aaliya1986 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:40 am

what do you mean by hassle during the academic year?
applying for a visa will not take more than 2-3 hours. and these days the university sends almost all of the applications through the Batch scheme, so probably you will fill the online application under the supervision of the immigration adviser at the university.

moreover i also think and assume that first you will have to get the course extended from your research school, once they confirm that the course will finish a year later than planned initially, then you will have to apply for a cas from the designated department at the university,

once applied for the cas you will probably get the cas anytime within the 28 days of your visa expiry date and not before.

so if your visa expires 1 March 16, you will get the cas any day after 14th Feb 2016, and probably not before.

londonphd

Post by londonphd » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:44 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your replies,
I was not aware of the transition to online application system when I made this post, the last time I applied for extension was three years ago and I have 4 dependants, thought would be a hassle with paperwork.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I should probably not worry about any hassle