ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling outside UK after submitting dissertation

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Akhan87
Newly Registered

Travelling outside UK after submitting dissertation

Post by Akhan87 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi, I have submitted my final master's dissertation on 20th Aug 2011, now I am planning to travel outside the UK for 3 weeks time. I do have visa till 16th Jan 2012. On my returning what documents should I have to show them and would it be ok to travel? Results are yet to announce and graduation ceremony is due in Nov. Reply with your honest opinion.

Regards
A Khan

Akhan87
Newly Registered

Post by Akhan87 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:23 am

Waiting for reply on this post.

silverchloride
Member of Standing
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by silverchloride » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:16 pm

- Letter from your University clearly mentioning the dates of your student status

- Any other documents that you have which show that you are a student

Also, be aware that since you're done with your studies, the immigration officials might quizz you at the airport about why you're back. So be prepared to answer any of those questions in detail.

Thats basically about it I think. And also, since your graduation is in November, that should give them a concrete reason why you're back, etc.

Anyway, I'm no expert on this, but this is what I personally think.

mia777

Post by mia777 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:35 pm

I'm in the same boat and I'm very nervous about the situation.

I am going to submit my dissertation on September 8 or 9, 2011. I booked a trip back to the US (where I am from) on September 15, 2011. I am going to visit my mother and grandmother for two weeks and return on September 29, 2011.

I'm concerned I might have to cancel my trip because I will be refused re-entry.

I naively thought that since my student visa expires on January 29, 2012, this would be fine.

Does anyone else have any advice?

I'm pretty sure that my results will be available in late November/early December. It seems reasonable that I want to return to get my results. I also want to reapply for a post-study work visa and that application depends on the results.

barbie1

Post by barbie1 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:36 pm

OMG dude, cannot believe you're asking this and the people are giving you a hard time replying too.

Your visa expires in 2012. End of it. During this time you can go do whatever you like as long as you're not leaving your studies to go travel (which you aren't) and you shall be fine and noone will dare to say a word jeez!

barbie1

Post by barbie1 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:38 pm

mia777 wrote:I'm in the same boat and I'm very nervous about the situation.

I am going to submit my dissertation on September 8 or 9, 2011. I booked a trip back to the US (where I am from) on September 15, 2011. I am going to visit my mother and grandmother for two weeks and return on September 29, 2011.

I'm concerned I might have to cancel my trip because I will be refused re-entry.

I naively thought that since my student visa expires on January 29, 2012, this would be fine.

Does anyone else have any advice?

I'm pretty sure that my results will be available in late November/early December. It seems reasonable that I want to return to get my results. I also want to reapply for a post-study work visa and that application depends on the results.

Do you have a multi-entry visa? During the time you've been a student you never left this country? That's strange. I was a student in the UK for 4 years, travelled in and out of the country in the middle of my studies and during summer holidays as much as I wanted. Unless your visa is single entry you should have no problem...

barbie1

Post by barbie1 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:39 pm

mia777 wrote: I also want to reapply for a post-study work visa and that application depends on the results.

Has that scheme not been abolished now? How are you going to apply for post study work? Strange..

mia777

Post by mia777 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:44 pm

I don't believe that it's that simple.

It seems that when I submit my dissertation, my "purpose" has changed and I may be refused entry.

I've seen in other places that because I am still awaiting results, I may be fine.

The new post-study work scheme does not begin until next year so I'm not concerned about that.

If you were in my situation, would you cancel your holiday?

barbie1

Post by barbie1 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:47 pm

mia777 wrote:I don't believe that it's that simple.

It seems that when I submit my dissertation, my "purpose" has changed and I may be refused entry.

I've seen in other places that because I am still awaiting results, I may be fine.

The new post-study work scheme does not begin until next year so I'm not concerned about that.

If you were in my situation, would you cancel your holiday?

NO I would NOT I do not believe they have got a right to refuse you entry into the country since your visa does not expire until January.
Noone knows whether you've submitted your dissertation or what grades you got, they're UKBA not your university professors. You were granted a visa until 2012 for a reason. That is when you are considered to complete your studies. Just because you go on holiday and come back shouldn't change a thing...

P.S. If you're so concerned, give them a call or consult the international office at your uni.

barbie1

Post by barbie1 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:52 pm

mia777 wrote:I don't believe that it's that simple.

?
That post in that other topic is referring to a totally different situation.

That guy had a visa for a YEAR longer than his studies were, that could be the case when your course is a bachelor not full time but sandwich. When you apply for a visa they give it to you for 4 years however when you become a student you decide you want to take the full time course and not the placement so you complete in 3 years rather than 4 and have got an extra year to spare. I do not believe you should be allowed to stay in the country during that extra year though because you'd have graduated. I am very confident his situation has been similar to what I described. You are not in that position. You have NOT graduated.

mia777

Post by mia777 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:53 pm

Thanks barbie1 for your input.

If your studies last one year, they always tack on an extra four months. So it's actually obvious that my studies are "done" (I still haven't gotten my results so in my eyes I'm not finished yet).

I consider myself an honest person so I just want to follow the law. When I applied for my masters, the advice on this forum was invaluable. I'm simple trying to get an opinion from those who might have gone through the same experience.

What I've read on these boards about this issue gives me enough concern to consider the possibility of cancelling my trip.

I've e-mailed student help line at my university.

EDIT I've read your latest reply and hope that is the correct interpretation!

mia777

Post by mia777 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:07 pm

Here is what I found from my university's website:
Travelling at the end of your studies

Some students have raised concerns about travelling in and out of the UK on a student visa after their course has ended. Under the student visa rules, you are usually granted your visa for the length of your course plus an additional 4 months. These additional months are given to allow you to attend your graduation ceremony and make any necessary arrangements for leaving/staying on in the UK, such as clearing out your accommodation or applying for a new visa in order to work here.

As you will still have a valid visa during this period you are allowed to re-enter the UK if you have travelled abroad, but you should be aware that you may be questioned by the immigration officers as to why you are coming back to the UK. If you have already finished your studies, they will want to know your reason for re-entering using your student visa. If you need to travel after the end date of your course you should ensure you get a confirmation of studies letter which confirms the date of your graduation, and, if possible, the approximate time that your results will be released. This can then be used as evidence that you have not yet formally completed your studies, so have not been able to apply for further leave in the UK. You should also ensure you carry with you a bank statement to show that you have enough money to stay in the UK.

There is a danger that, if for some reason an immigration officer does not believe you, s/he might choose to cancel your visa. If this is the case then you should return home and make any visa applications to return to the UK from home. Please be aware that for some visas the requirements are different when applying from outside the UK so ensure you check the guidance carefully to avoid refusal.
So... "there is a danger" but it seems that if I follow procedures it should be okay,

mia777

Post by mia777 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:34 pm

Finally, for the sake of anyone else in this situation, this is what my university advised me to do:
Please request a student status letter from the Compass and ask them to include details of when your graduation ceremony will take place, this should be sufficient. You have the right to re-enter on your student visa up until it expires but you may be questioned as to why and what your intentions are now that you have completed your dissertation.
If anyone else has further advice, please give it!

silverchloride
Member of Standing
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by silverchloride » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:09 pm

Yeah, I think its good to be worried. I would not travel outside the UK during the end of my visa but if you've not had your graduation yet, you would be entitled to come back.

- Have all your documents, letters, etc ready at hand,

- Also, a perfectly reasonable argument to come back is to pack up all your stuff and sort the flat leases, etc that you might have on your name.

When you come back to UK, a normal question that the border agency officials ask is that why you are coming to the UK today. So if you've got a perfectly reasonable answer, and its in-line with the regulations to the leave to remain that has been granted to you, it should be fine.

Akhan87
Newly Registered

Post by Akhan87 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:08 am

Thanks for all of you for giving honest opinion and suggestions. I am travelling.

Sobhia
Newly Registered

Post by Sobhia » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:14 pm

Hi Akhan,

I seem to be in the same state of confusion :? I'm planning a trip next week and wanted to return before my results are out. I reckon that you would have returned by now. Could you please share your experiences and tell us how things went on. Also pl. let me know the essential docs expected by them. Thanks :)

Deviser

Post by Deviser » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:17 pm

If you guys have completed your degree requirments but degree not yet awarded, your entry may be REFUSED at the airport.

This is what law says and its happened with many students.

mia777

Post by mia777 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:15 pm

I think all individual experiences are unique, but I traveled outside the country for the holidays even after having been notified of my degree classification.

Oddly, the award date was in the future (dated January 2011).

My uni realized this may be a problem and wrote a letter stating that although the board had met an ratified my degree, I wouldn't find out about it until January.

Anyway, the officer asked me where I was studying and what course (even though I was done, although we didn't get that far), and that was the end of it. No problems.

I didn't have to use my confirmation of study letter, but I would not have traveled without one.

os328
Newly Registered

Re: Travelling outside UK after submitting dissertation

Post by os328 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:33 am

Dear Akhan,

have you been allowed reentry to the UK?

In a similar situation, need to make a decision asap.

os328
Newly Registered

Re: Travelling outside UK after submitting dissertation

Post by os328 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:34 am

Dear A Khan,

have you been alloweed to reenter the UK?

I am in a situtation similar to yours, need to make a decision asap.

Cheers!