ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

University Fees for Discretionary leave holder students

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sh17uk
Newly Registered

University Fees for Discretionary leave holder students

Post by sh17uk » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:17 am

Hi all,

I am confused about the fees to be paid to Uni in case of DLR.
Can anyone please guide me that if a student having DLR in UK, which fees he has to pay if he wants to study in UK university, I mean the international student fees or the local student fees.
Any information please in this matter?
Thanks.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:38 am

Those with discretionary leave do not automatically qualify for home fee status anymore but may qualify if they fall under one of the other categories listed here:

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/info_s ... e_overseas

the most common one is if the person is married to a British national and this is why DL was granted – however you would need to meet 3 year residence requirements – see category 3.

sohail410
Newly Registered

Post by sohail410 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:30 pm

Greenie wrote:Those with discretionary leave do not automatically qualify for home fee status anymore but may qualify if they fall under one of the other categories listed here:

the most common one is if the person is married to a British national and this is why DL was granted – however you would need to meet 3 year residence requirements – see category 3.
Hi there, having similar issues with my wife's application at Leeds uni.

We have been married for over 3 years and she has been a resident here the entire time, we have a 3 year old child and she was initially in the UK on a student visa but then was given a 3 year Discretionary Leave as my spouse.

The website link above speaks of Discretionary Leave given to people who initially applied for Asylum, no longer being able to be classed as home students.

Clearly that wasn't the case for us but the website doesn't say anything about Discretionary Leave on basis of marriage but keep bleating on about asylum and humanitarian protection.

Any chance you understand the current status better than im making out?

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:14 pm

sohail410 wrote:
Greenie wrote:Those with discretionary leave do not automatically qualify for home fee status anymore but may qualify if they fall under one of the other categories listed here:

Hi there, having similar issues with my wife's application at Leeds uni.

We have been married for over 3 years and she has been a resident here the entire time, we have a 3 year old child and she was initially in the UK on a student visa but then was given a 3 year Discretionary Leave as my spouse.

The website link above speaks of Discretionary Leave given to people who initially applied for Asylum, no longer being able to be classed as home students.

Clearly that wasn't the case for us but the website doesn't say anything about Discretionary Leave on basis of marriage but keep bleating on about asylum and humanitarian protection.

Any chance you understand the current status better than im making out?
as per my post above see category 3 on the UKCISA link. If your wife was on a student visa at any point in the last three years however she may not qualify due to the requirement that the main purpose of her stay in the last three years must not have been for full time education.

sohail410
Newly Registered

Post by sohail410 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:11 am

Greenie wrote: as per my post above see category 3 on the UKCISA link. If your wife was on a student visa at any point in the last three years however she may not qualify due to the requirement that the main purpose of her stay in the last three years must not have been for full time education.
No, she was on a student visa between 2006-2008, for over 3 years shes been on Discretionary leave on the basis of marriage to me.

Ive looked at the categories and found the bit i needed. Thanks for your prompt reply.

Going to ring them on monday, because theyve already refused the application on the grounds that she isn't under humanitarian aid (as though thats the only reason to be on discretionary leave) and rang up on Saturday and they said your application has been deleted.

Going to be a fun time next week sorting this out! :roll: