ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will I be denied Tier 4 visa for visiting UK too much?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ding_bat
Newly Registered

Will I be denied Tier 4 visa for visiting UK too much?

Post by ding_bat » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:47 pm

I'll soon be applying for a Tier 4 student visa. Assuming I'd meet all of the requirements, could I be denied a visa because of the following:

I was in the UK for about 5 months in the summer/fall of 2016. (Americans are allowed up to 6 months in the UK in a 12 month period.)

I went to the UK again for 2 weeks at the end of 2016. Upon arriving in London, the border patrol officer absolutely grilled me on what I was doing there. I was allowed in, but now I have special stamps on my passport that will basically "flag" me each time I enter. He was very "suspicious" of me because I have friends there and stayed so long the last time.

Thoughts? I technically did not break any laws, but the immigration officers are suspicious of me now! Will I be denied a Student Visa for this?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Will I be denied Tier 4 visa for visiting UK too much?

Post by sah10406 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:48 pm

ding_bat wrote:(Americans are allowed up to 6 months in the UK in a 12 month period.)
This is not so. Anyone of any nationality can *visit* the UK as often as they wish, for up to six months at a time. There is no 6-out-of-12-months rule, and there are no special arrangements for Americans. Problems and suspicions will arise if someone appears to be using a series of fake visits to live in the UK. This is about the purpose of their stay, not specifically about the length or any 6-out-of-12 months rule. This may have been the source of the suspicion.
ding_bat wrote:He was very "suspicious" of me because I have friends there and stayed so long the last time.
There is nothing wrong with staying for 5 months in itself. Perhaps when you first entered you intended to stay a shorter time, and then changed your mind? In that case there may have been the suspicion that you used deception the first time you entered, and that you always intended to stay for many months.
ding_bat wrote:Will I be denied a Student Visa for this?
No, unless you used deception at any point.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

immoman
Newly Registered

Post by immoman » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:15 pm

Great answer from above, having previously been an immo officer in the UK I can tell you you that all you have received is a code 3 stamp. The stamp itself is a general warning to all other immigration officers in the UK informing them that you were "grilled" last time and that notes were taken for the reasons of your visit and filed. It hinders your credibility slightly but so long as you can prove you are genuinely coming as a visitor and returning, there shouldn't be an issue.

So long as you have not exceeded the maximum period allowed for Non visa nationals (6 months) there should not be an issue with making a student application (that being a short term student or T4 student)

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:24 pm

No idea why my post refers to "bad quality visits", which is not a thing. I just wrote "visits"!
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:50 pm

sah10406 wrote:No idea why my post refers to "bad quality visits", which is not a thing. I just wrote "visits"!
It is the word censor. F A K E and a few others automatically get changed to 'bad quality'.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:19 pm

CR001 wrote:It is the word censor. F A K E and a few others automatically get changed to 'bad quality'.
Ah okay, thanks. Can't remember what I wrote. Maybe I did write that word.