ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working during the 60 day curtailment period (Tier 4)

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Drakhlur
Newly Registered

Working during the 60 day curtailment period (Tier 4)

Post by Drakhlur » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:39 pm

Dear All,

This is my first time posting on here, therefore forgive me if I am asking a stupid question.

Background Information:

I am a current Tier 4 student in UK, however I have been temporarily withdraw from University due to pending resits.
On the day when I found out my exam results (July 13th), my institution informed me that they would be reporting my situation to the home office and I would have 60 days to leave the country. Even though I still have not recieved my curtailment letter from the home office, I have booked my flights and fit within the 60 day curtailment limit from the exam result day.

Question:

Before I found out my exam results, I have enrolled in a summer intership full time, as permitted by my visa (20 hrs term time and full time during holidays), in a period of time which would have been my summer holidays. Now that my univerity sponsorship has been withdrawn and I technically have no summer holidays, am I actually allowed to continue with my internship? (Note that the end day of the contract fits within the 60 day curtailment as well).

I would like to avoid breaking any rules for the sake of my future application when it comes to resuming my studies in April 2016.

Thank you very much and sorry for all the text. Just trying to give as much information as possible.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Working during the 60 day curtailment period (Tier 4)

Post by sah10406 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:11 pm

Drakhlur wrote:Now that my univerity sponsorship has been withdrawn and I technically have no summer holidays, am I actually allowed to continue with my internship?
No. See http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/International- ... -has-ended
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Drakhlur
Newly Registered

Post by Drakhlur » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:34 pm

This is bad news. I guess I'll have to quit my internship ASAP. How dire is my situation at the moment?

Also, I have just found the following document:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _final.pdf

It has a following section: Q67 What are the consequences of a student’s permission to be in the UK being curtailed (cut short)
In the event that the student’s place of study closes or they stop studying with their sponsor before the completion of their course, the student will normally have their permission to be in the UK curtailed (cut short) to 60 days. During this time they may find a new education provider and course and apply to the Home Office for further permission to stay. During this period of 60 days,a student may work full time provided their conditions of stay permit them to work, and may continue to do so until the point that their application is decided. If, after 60 days, the student has not applied for further pe
rmission, their existing permission expires and they will no longer have the right to work.
The two documents seem to contradict each other?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:43 pm

They do. It's your employer's call. You need to let them know your new circumstances, and they can take advice on whether they can employ you.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Drakhlur
Newly Registered

Post by Drakhlur » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:56 pm

I have three weeks remaining in my internship. If you were in my place, would you proceed with what you suggested? Or just contact the employer and quit immediately?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:06 pm

You knew a month ago that you were no longer a student on vacation, but on interruption. You really should have updated your employer on 13 July. As you have seen, the guidance is ambiguous, but your employer needs updating so they can decide what to do.

Sorry, you asked.

Drakhlur
Newly Registered

Post by Drakhlur » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:08 pm

All right. Thank you for your help. I will contact my employer immediately and quit. Hopefully it wont affect my future visa applications....

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:19 pm

Don't quit unless they want you to. It's up to them. There's guidance that says it's fine, as you have seen.