ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying green card for my mother

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

tribalgirl

Applying green card for my mother

Post by tribalgirl » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:23 pm

Hi there ,

My sister has applied for my mum's immigration a month ago. She has submitted the I-130 and I-485 along with the required supporting documents . She said that she has got the confirmation that the application and the fees has been accepted. My mum is currently in US on a visitor's visa and she had a return ticket booked for 7th of this month as she will be completing her 6 months stay .

My question is what is her status now as they had already submitted the I - 485 form . Can she continue to stay in US or does she have to leave the country.

Thanks & Regards

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Re: Applying green card for my mother

Post by obormot » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:34 pm

It is a common path to bring parents on green card, once a child naturalises. Status of your mother is "immigration application pending", and she can stay in US while her case is considered. Moreover, I would strongly recommend against leaving the country before she is granted green card - since immigration application was already submitted, it can create problems for the future if she leaves now.
Technically though, part of the application package for green card is so-called "advanced parol", which allows he to leave the country and come back, while her application for green card is pending. But in her place I would only use it in a REAL emergency.
Currently, AOS applications take about 6 months on average.