ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Asylum application in the US

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

z4ydi

Asylum application in the US

Post by z4ydi » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:50 pm

Hi
My dad is 60 years old and he submitted an asylum application in the United States around 11 months ago. He received a letter shortly after submission acknowledging the receipt of his application.
He has been waiting for the past 11 months but he has not received an interview date yet or any other update.
Is this normal to wait 11 months for an initial interview?
Is there a way to expedite the process?

Thanks

Amber
Mood:

Re: Asylum application in the US

Post by Amber » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:13 pm

It may take a long time if they are awaiting a Judge to look at it.

Also,
USCIS wrote:you cannot apply for permission to work (employment authorization) in the United States at the same time you apply for asylum.

You may apply for employment authorization if:

150 days have passed since you filed your complete asylum application, excluding any delays caused by you (such as a request to reschedule your interview) AND
No decision has been made on your application
Give them a call on 1-800-375-5283
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

z4ydi

Post by z4ydi » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:12 am

Many thanks for your reply. But unfortunately it is not answering my initial query. Like I said in my initial post my dad has been waiting for an interview following the submission of his asylum application 11 months ago. It has been 11 months of waiting and he still has not received the initial interview. the question is:
1. Is it normal to wait this long for the initial interview following the submission of asylum application?
2. Is there a way to expedite the process?

Many thanks

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:48 pm

Timing wrote:According to the Immigration and Nationality Act (I.N.A.), U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) should follow the following timeline:
Within 21 days after USCIS receives your complete asylum application, you will receive the following via mail:
receipt notice (confirming that USCIS received your application)
biometrics (fingerprinting) appointment notice for you and any children included in your asylum application who are older than 14, and
interview notice (specifying the place, day, and time of your asylum interview).
Within 43 days after USCIS receives your complete asylum application, you will be interviewed at one of the eight U.S. asylum offices if you live close to one of them. Currently, the asylum offices are located in the following cities: Arlington (VA), Chicago, Houston, Miami, Newark, New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco.
If you live far from one of the asylum offices, your interview might be scheduled a bit later than within the 43 day timeframe. This will depend on when an asylum officer can travel close to your location. Note that you will be interviewed only after you (and all your children included in the asylum application who are older than 14) have been fingerprinted. If you are not fingerprinted by the date of your scheduled asylum interview, the asylum office will reschedule your interview to a later date.
Within 60 days after USCIS receives your complete asylum application, including your interview, you will receive your decision. The asylum officer will either grant your asylum application or deny it and refer your application to the Immigration Court.
If it has exceeded these times you should contact them!
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

z4ydi

Post by z4ydi » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:59 pm

Many thanks for your email. My dad submitted his application 11 months ago and did his fingerprints about a month or so later - he has been waiting for 11 months for his initial interview following his asylum application but absolutely no news. We wrote to them a letter 3 months ago and they said that he should wait and no elaboration as to why. 3 months have passed since our last letter and they still haven't written or invited him for interview. We called the number you provided few times in the past 11 months but they cant give us any information and each time they ask us to check the status of the case online.
From your response it is quite clear that they are for some reasons delaying his interview by a great length. Is there anything else we can do? please advice.

Thanks

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:46 pm

Ask your local official to the senator to get involved.

auron2003
Newly Registered

Post by auron2003 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:22 pm

If he applies in NYC or other crowded cities then it is normal to wait that long or even longer. He is just out of luck. Even if you ask lawyers in here, the answer will be the same, nobody knows. Some of my friends got interviewed within few weeks while others have to wait for a long time. It's purely based on luck, they have computers that randomly assign the interview dates.