ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Fiancee Visa & Permanent Residency Application

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

martinproll
Newly Registered

Fiancee Visa & Permanent Residency Application

Post by martinproll » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:20 pm

Hi All

I am from the UK and intend to marry my American girlfriend in Houston, Texas, and then buy a house with her in Houston. Am I able to apply for permanent residency in the US after we have married there? Or must I return to the UK and do my interview at the US Embassy here?

Many thanks

Martin

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:55 am

You should have a fiance visa (K) in order to do what you want to do.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
Latvia

Post by Administrator » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:09 pm

Outline of your current immigration strategy:

- get a fiance visa
- travel to the U.S.
- get married
- change status to that of spouse (from within the U.S.)

As a spouse, you can apply for a Green Card (Permanent Residency). I've forgotten the time frame, but I think it is one year (??) .. other members need to correct me if I botched that.

It will take some time to process; there is quite a backlog right now. I think it goes almost out to three years at this point.

Anyway. You will not be required to leave the U.S. after your marriage. Just make sure you understand all regulations tied to your visa types and obey them. Your finace visa is time-limited, so you need to get married "soon," and you need to switch status to that of spouse as soon as possible after the marriage. It will give you rights to work, for example.

All other things even, you should have a fairly smooth ride of it. Won't be entirely easy, but your case is straightforward compared to many others.

"You" will need to demonstrate means to support "yourselves" ... your wife actually sponsors you, but your combined assets can be used .. so, all bank records in order is a priority.

the Admin
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice

martinproll
Newly Registered

Thank you...

Post by martinproll » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:11 pm

Many thanks for the info. Very useful. Regards, Martin.

darko

Post by darko » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:48 am

Administrator wrote: It will take some time to process; there is quite a backlog right now. I think it goes almost out to three years at this point.
3 years?? whole process took me 5 months (I applied a year ago)