ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help!!! I just had my ACPO Police Certificate. Bad news!

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

applemad
Newly Registered

Help!!! I just had my ACPO Police Certificate. Bad news!

Post by applemad » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:36 am

Hi all,

I'm really hoping for some advice. When I was 18, young and stupid I got involved in a silly prank that went wrong and ended up with a Police caution for Theft from Person. This was back in 2001.

Further to that the only trouble I have been in was following a car accident. I went to court and received a fine and points for failure to stop after an accident and a fine for driving without due care and attention. This was in 2004.

I have read the 'Step-Down' guidelines for the 'Theft' which should step down after 5 years so should not show on the certificate. I have been unable to find any guidelines in respect to the driving offenses I have.

I have been offered a job Coaching Football (Soccer) to kids in the USA, it's always been a dream of mine to do this and waited over 10+ years so I could do this, done all the qualifications and now it looks like this dream is over. I have no idea where I stand. I learnt from the mistake I made when I was 18, now 30 I have never been in trouble with the police since, only a stupid car accident.

Do you have to do anything in order for convictions to be stepped down??? Surely it's an automated process giving that they have step down procedures.

I'm scared that if I tell my prospective employer, they will just retract the employment off and I'm pretty sure I would be refused a Visa :(. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Archibald_Shagnasty
Newly Registered

Re: Help!!! I just had my ACPO Police Certificate. Bad news!

Post by Archibald_Shagnasty » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:03 pm

Hi, when applying for an American visa application, it's important to declare all arrests and then explain it as best you can. It's entirely up the US authorities to decide if it was a youthful indiscretion or something more serious. And rather than taking seriously any advice, mine or anyone else's, in an internet chat room, consult with a qualified American immigration attorney.

But remember, for immigration purposes, the US does not recognise spent convictions. All arrests, convictions, etc. should be declared ... when it comes to any kind of immigration application, always err on the side of disclosing. Should you not declare something and it gets found out, it will get much worse for you and can result in a permanent ineligibility and automatic rejection of any further visa application or attempt to enter the US.

Amber
Mood:

Re: Help!!! I just had my ACPO Police Certificate. Bad news!

Post by Amber » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:42 pm

Request an ACPO certificate, at first instance it should not be on the certificate. Moreover, if you were not arrested before the caution was given it may not have to be declared for the purpose of ESTA. However, the Court conviction would have to be declared for ESTA and would lead to a refusal. You would have to visit the Embassy where an interview could be undertaken, at which point information regarding the caution may need to be disclosed.

I am not sure how the US interpret a caution for theft for the purpose of working with children. That should be discussed with your prospective employer.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.