ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I have H1B and want to get a greencard - How?

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mzagorski
Newly Registered

I have H1B and want to get a greencard - How?

Post by mzagorski » Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:17 pm

I have a H1B visa... 6 months in USA so far. I'm married to a non-American so my only option as far as I can tell is to get an Employment based Greencard.

As I'm already in USA on H1B, what is the process for me to try and get a greencard?

I work as an Intern Architect (I have a 4 year Bachelors degree) but won't be licensed as an "Architect" until I've worked 2 more years and passed more exams.

Thanks for any advice.

Mike

Filip
Newly Registered

Post by Filip » Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:45 pm

Hi,

first of all, you are not able to apply for a Lawful Permanent Residence through employment by yourself. According to the US Immigration Laws, your employer should "sponsor" your Green Card. You will find the details on Government's web-site:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/resi ... oyment.htm

Good luck!

mzagorski
Newly Registered

H1B -> Greencard

Post by mzagorski » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:20 am

I have already seen that website and it isn't exactly explained clearly.

I am also aware that it is my employer that would have to sponsor my greencard and that isn't a problem.

I'm basically trying to find out:

1) The approx. cost involved in getting a greencard

2) As I am already in the US on H1B, I am not sure if I need to go through the Labor Certification process. I had to go through all that crap when I got my H1B. Get my degree and experience evaluated to make sure its equivalent of a US degree - which it was.

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:45 pm

The total cost depends on your attorney(s), presuming you have one, which is advisable unless your employer has their own counsel for these matters. It's quite common that employer, who must be the sponsor for this application, also pays for its costs.

Having H1B certainly can expedite and simplify your application, provided you will base it on the same skill / position type.

mzagorski
Newly Registered

Post by mzagorski » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:48 pm

Thanks for the reply. The application would be based on the same current position that I have here in the US.

Any ballpark figures for cost.. like, for a best case scenario are we talking hundreds or thousands?... I know my H1B cost about $4500 (premium processed)...

Thanks

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:05 am

I imagine it wouldn't be less than $1,000, and perhaps no more than $3,000. However, this is subject to local idiosyncrasies and also what firm are you working for -- if it's a big milking cow, it might be milked well.