ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indefinite Leave to remain in UK(PR) and Green Card USA

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

techguy007

Indefinite Leave to remain in UK(PR) and Green Card USA

Post by techguy007 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:20 am

Hi,

One of my friend has the Indefinite Leave to Remain in UK and he will be applying for the UK Citizenship mid of next year.
He has applied for USA Green card this year.

In case if he is selected for green card, is there a way he can have both uk citizenship and USA PR.

The green card process will take a considerable time so by the time it starts processing my friend will have obtained the British citizenship.

** During the green card visa process, my friend's citizenship will be changed to British and will that cause any issue as I noticed British citizens cannot apply for green card. Am i correct?

Thank you in advance

crusador0408
Member of Standing

Post by crusador0408 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:17 am

Regarding dual citizenship, you are allowed to have dual citizenship i.e. keep US and UK passports while staying in US.
I have my ILR since march 2013, previously based on HSMP+Tier1 ext. All views are my own, am not a professional on immigration matters.

ouflak1

Re: Indefinite Leave to remain in UK(PR) and Green Card USA

Post by ouflak1 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:23 pm

techguy007 wrote:... I noticed British citizens cannot apply for green card. Am i correct?
No. British Citizens may apply for permanent residency in the United States as long as they meet all of the standard requirements.

Being granted citizenship of another country shouldn't affect your PR application or status.

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:39 pm

techguy007 wrote:Hi,

One of my friend has the Indefinite Leave to Remain in UK and he will be applying for the UK Citizenship mid of next year.
He has applied for USA Green card this year.

In case if he is selected for green card, is there a way he can have both uk citizenship and USA PR.

The green card process will take a considerable time so by the time it starts processing my friend will have obtained the British citizenship.

** During the green card visa process, my friend's citizenship will be changed to British and will that cause any issue as I noticed British citizens cannot apply for green card. Am i correct?

Thank you in advance

just asking is it for American Green Card Lottery ? If yes then British citizen not accepted because they sent a total of more than 50,000 immigrants to the U.S. in the previous five years
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

techguy007

Post by techguy007 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:53 pm

Thanks for the reply.
He was worried if he get selected to Green card he might have issues with his PR/British Citizenship.

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:29 pm

askmeplz82 wrote:
just asking is it for American Green Card Lottery ? If yes then British citizen not accepted because they sent a total of more than 50,000 immigrants to the U.S. in the previous five years
is I-130 application affected by that as well?
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:57 pm

There are no restrictions on citizenship when you apply for Green Card through work or relatives.
The only case when your citizenship matters is when you try to win Green Card by playing the diversity lottery. Countries from which too many people got Green Card recently are not allowed to play; UK is among those (as well as India, Philippines, China, etc.).
BUT: whether you are allowed to play and collect your winning (in case you win) is NOT determined by whether you are a current citizen of one of those forbidden to play the lottery countries. It is determined by where you were BORN. So it does not affect naturalized citizens in any case.
Tell your friend to relax and forget about this issue.
(By the way, even if you were born in UK, but either your spouse, or both of your parents were not, you could still qualify to play)