ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving to the US of A for Police?

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Macca98
Newly Registered

Moving to the US of A for Police?

Post by Macca98 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:56 am

Hello, my name is Brandon McCulla. I am fifteen years old and at the moment one of my dream ambitions is to become a member of a police department somewhere located in the United States of America. I know you'll say I shouldn't have made up my mind or anything yet but for around three/four years now this has been one of my aspirations.

What I want to do is become a US citizen so I can apply to become a police officer; but from what I have read I do not think I can qualify to become one from the required ways to become a citizen. So what I made this post for was to see if it is realistically possible for me to follow my dream or will I have to find a new goal.

So if someone could answer these I would be so grateful.
1-Is it realistically possible for me to become a US citizen to become a police officer?
2-Is there a certain age limit before you can move there (i.e. twenty one etc.)?
3-Will the police department actually accept an immigrated Britain?
4-Even if I have no family over there does it matter?

It would be great if someone could clear that up for me! I am looking to move there on my own and without family.
(I am being truthful by the way. I legitimately want to work for a police department in the United States).

Thank you,
Brandon.

ouflak1

Re: Moving to the US of A for Police?

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:01 pm

Macca98 wrote:Hello, my name is Brandon McCulla. I am fifteen years old and at the moment one of my dream ambitions is to become a member of a police department somewhere located in the United States of America. I know you'll say I shouldn't have made up my mind or anything yet but for around three/four years now this has been one of my aspirations.

What I want to do is become a US citizen so I can apply to become a police officer; but from what I have read I do not think I can qualify to become one from the required ways to become a citizen. So what I made this post for was to see if it is realistically possible for me to follow my dream or will I have to find a new goal.

So if someone could answer these I would be so grateful.
1-Is it realistically possible for me to become a US citizen to become a police officer?
2-Is there a certain age limit before you can move there (i.e. twenty one etc.)?
3-Will the police department actually accept an immigrated Britain?
4-Even if I have no family over there does it matter?

It would be great if someone could clear that up for me! I am looking to move there on my own and without family.
(I am being truthful by the way. I legitimately want to work for a police department in the United States).

Thank you,
Brandon.
Actually I think it's great that you are thinking about this sort of thing now, when you really have the time and opportunity to do things right. Anything in life is realistic if you plan ahead, work hard, and are genuinely capable. My suggestion would be to start saving money, beef up your grades and see if you can't become a student at an American university via scholarship. Look at especially doing well on the achievement exams SAT, ACT, and perhaps most importantly for you now, the PSAT. If your grades are good, and you can get a scholarship, you would then go over on a student visa. Once there, I recommend studying something like Forensics, Criminal law, something along those lines. You *might* be able to find part-time work with the local police department. Otherwise, take advantage of any relevant internship opportunities. Look into this well before you pick your school. Keep in mind that there are certain working restrictions related to that visa type. This would get you invaluable experience. Once you've got your degree, you can then get an OPT visa, which will basically allow you to work full-time for one year, after which you can then try for an H1B visa. Once you've got this done, you may be able to apply for a Green Card via employment. Once you've got that, and met the residency requirements, you can then gain citizenship.

It won't be easy. There are several unforeseen things that can go wrong. But if you plan well, and plan well-enough ahead, you should be able to handle whatever is thrown your way. Good luck.