ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

My Citizenship has been changed after H1b approval..pls help

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

nvr
Newly Registered

My Citizenship has been changed after H1b approval..pls help

Post by nvr » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:25 am

Hello experts,

When my employer filed H1b petition on behalf of me I was holding Indian passport. After receiving my H1b approavl my Citizen has been changed to British now I wanted attend for the H1 visa but in I-129 petition it shows i'm an Indian citizen.
Is there any impact due to change of citizenship?
Do I need to fill any other forms?
Do they accept British passport, if I show my Indian passport surrender certificate?
I'm not getting answer for this question from anywhere...Im so worried I need to go for the visa in couple of weeks time. I really appreciate your advise..

Kind regards
nvr

lifofifo

Post by lifofifo » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:15 am

Ask your lawyers about this. They should be able to get an updated petition, if needed.

nvr
Newly Registered

Post by nvr » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:25 am

lifofifo wrote:Ask your lawyers about this. They should be able to get an updated petition, if needed.

Thanks for the reply. I have done that already but they simply asked me to take surrender certificate for the H1b visa interview to show that my Indian pp is not valid anymore..etc. I'm not convinced with that answer. Just I wanted to check is anyone has got clarity on this...

Thanks
nvr

VR

I am in a similar situation as yourself

Post by VR » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:07 am

I learn that a fresh filing will have to be done which should not be a problem as you are outside the quota.

I suggest you get in touch with your employers to initiate the process. Let the board know how you get on.

Timing is important as you cannot travel on an Indian passport after 3 months of getting your naturalization in UK.

The problem is once you land up in the US your Indian Passport would be invalid and I doubt if they get a VIOP stamp on your British Passport as its a different country altogether.

Checkt this possibility at the US embassy in London.
cheers
vr

VR

No need for a fresh petition

Post by VR » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:48 pm

nvr,

You can stamp the H1b visa on your UK passport and proceed. The feedback from a leading US firm is that the H1b is issued to you and not against your passport.

He says for it is better for a person to get a H1b stamped on UK passport in London rather than attempt to get it stamped on an Indian Passport.

Cheers
vr