Permanent Residency / Green Card Question

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, Administrator, sbrennan

Permanent Residency / Green Card Question

Postby sparklyrose » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi all, hoping someone with a bit more understanding can help me!

I'm (tentatively) in the early stages of starting to look at emigrating to the US and am poking around the residency / green card requirements. I'm British, aged 25 and unmarried, and the daughter of a US permanent resident. My father has been living out there since 2005 and holds a green card, he is also married to a US Citizen - with this in mind I'm looking at the section on USCIS about Green Cards for a Family Member of a Permanent Resident and trying to work out if I would hypothetically qualify.

Does anyone with a bit more knowledge know what criteria I would need to meet? From the website I seem to understand that I would probably qualify and therefore be put in a "family preference category" meaning that I would get a visa at some point when numbers allow... However I keep thinking 'that sounds FAR too easy' and am convinced I'm missing a catch somewhere.

I guess my question is this: Have I got the wrong end of the stick, or am I missing something fairly obvious here? Are there any additional criteria I would need to meet?

Thanks in advance - I'm only in the early stages of considering this as a possibility, would really appreciate any clarification!
Newly Registered
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:24 pm

Re: Permanent Residency / Green Card Question

Postby Marco 72 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Hi - how old were you when your father married his US citizen wife?
Marco 72
Diamond Member
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:53 pm
Location: London

Postby raziya » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:43 am

As a green card holder (permanent resident),can petition for certain family members to immigrate to the United States as permanent residents. Like Spouse (husband or wife)
Unmarried children under 21
Unmarried son or daughter of any age
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:24 am

Return to US immigration


  • Related topics
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests