ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question about re-entry

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Lena8
Newly Registered

Question about re-entry

Post by Lena8 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:13 pm

Hello,

I have a question which I am hoping someone can help me with. I am married to an American and have the 10-year greencard. Unfortunately, we had to move back to Germany 3 years ago and have been living here since but we do want to move back to the United States. My greencard was issued about 3 years ago so technically it's still valid but officially it's not valid since I've been living out of the country for those 3 years.
So my question is, can I still enter the country?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
Lena

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Re: Question about re-entry

Post by obormot » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:27 pm

Legally, you cannot use your green card if you were out of USA for more then 1 year - after 1 year out you legally lose green card status. They might let you in at the boarder, but might send you away. If you do not have to move to USA urgently, better apply for green card again via consulate (since you were married for more then 2 years, it should be not very difficult)