ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Immigration to USA

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

EquineNat
Newly Registered

UK Immigration to USA

Post by EquineNat » Thu May 08, 2008 2:54 pm

My family has lived in the USA for the past 10 years. We originally went over there on a H Visa, because my father got a job over there. He got a new job after 8 years, and after that we became illegal for a year. But that didn't matter because my mother wanted to move back to the UK. We moved back to the UK, and within a year were planning to move back to the USA. In April 2007 my family moved back to the US using a 90 day waver. At that point we started our Green card process, for the entire family. After our attorney told us we could stay six months for the first time, after seven we returned to the UK for a few days, then went back to the US. We got in and continued to live our lives for the next three months, waiting on these immigration papers (that were being sent to our UK address). When the next three months came around, we paid the expenses to go back to the UK, and come back to the US in a day or two, at this point it was February 2008. We did this to stay legal, because we'd been told that the minute we were illegal we wouldn't be allowed the Green card. When coming back into the US, we were refused because we didn't have the correct paper work that minute. Even though we came up with it the next day, we were still being deported. Now, waiting in the UK for these Green card forms, I wonder how long it usually takes to get the forms from London after the first time you apply? It's been over a year now, is that normal?

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Sat May 10, 2008 9:40 am

So you were refused entry into the US (under the visa waiver) AND you were deported? If it is 'yes' to both, then you will not be able to enter the US again under the visa waiver: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/vi ... d_req.html
Travelers to the United States who have been denied entry into the United States, have been deported or removed, or have overstayed on a prior visit are not eligible to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program. They are required to apply for visas before traveling.
I know that doesn't answer your question, but I am not sure if you already knew that.

As for your green card - what has your attorney told you of your current situation?

You might also want to post (or do a thorough search related to) your query at www.britishexpats.com

EquineNat
Newly Registered

Post by EquineNat » Sat May 10, 2008 3:33 pm

No, sorry, we weren't technically deported, just denyed entry. Although we were allowed in for a few days to get things sorted with our four dogs over there. We were sent back to wait for the Greencard. Once we've got that we can go back in.