ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK National living in the US - Advice needed HELP PLEASE!!

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jimmydabosh
Newly Registered

UK National living in the US - Advice needed HELP PLEASE!!

Post by jimmydabosh » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:28 am

Hi

I moved to the US from the UK in 2007 on a 3 month visitor visa. I overstayed my visa after marrying my wife and have lived here with no green card for almost 8 years, being married to and living with my wife the whole time. My passport has been expired for some time. We have lived on one pay check the whole tim and have a four year old son together so we've had no extra income to be able to afford either the green card process or to have my passport renewed.

So to confirm, I am a UK national living in the US with an expired visa and an expired passport. My marriage is ending and I cannot stay in the US any longer. As I have not been able to work I have literally NO money and my soon to be ex wife obviously doesn't want to give me any.

Getting my passport renewed before I leave is not an option. Staying and getting the green card process finished is not an option. My only option is to turn up at the airport with my expired passport and ask to be deported home.

I am aware and understand that I may be barred from returning for up to ten years(?) and I'm ok with that, once home I can get working and have my son flown out for visits. My concern is any legal trouble I may encounter, or if I get turned away at the airport for not having an in date passport. I don't want to be stuck here in the US homeless and in limbo.

Will they renew my passport there at the airport for me and slap with me a bill for the flight and the passport fees or am I looking at something more serious? I really don't have much option to be honest, I just want to know what I'm walking into when I get there. I doubt they'll want to throw me in jail but you never know...

Regardless, I will be arriving at the airport in about 30 days telling them I have overstayed by 7 years and have an expired passport. Please advise as to what may happen.

Thank you so much for any info you can provide!

J

SKK27
Newly Registered

Re: UK National living in the US - Advice needed HELP PLEASE

Post by SKK27 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:29 am

jimmydabosh wrote:Hi

I moved to the US from the UK in 2007 on a 3 month visitor visa. I overstayed my visa after marrying my wife and have lived here with no green card for almost 8 years, being married to and living with my wife the whole time. My passport has been expired for some time. We have lived on one pay check the whole tim and have a four year old son together so we've had no extra income to be able to afford either the green card process or to have my passport renewed.

So to confirm, I am a UK national living in the US with an expired visa and an expired passport. My marriage is ending and I cannot stay in the US any longer. As I have not been able to work I have literally NO money and my soon to be ex wife obviously doesn't want to give me any.

Getting my passport renewed before I leave is not an option. Staying and getting the green card process finished is not an option. My only option is to turn up at the airport with my expired passport and ask to be deported home.

I am aware and understand that I may be barred from returning for up to ten years(?) and I'm ok with that, once home I can get working and have my son flown out for visits. My concern is any legal trouble I may encounter, or if I get turned away at the airport for not having an in date passport. I don't want to be stuck here in the US homeless and in limbo.

Will they renew my passport there at the airport for me and slap with me a bill for the flight and the passport fees or am I looking at something more serious? I really don't have much option to be honest, I just want to know what I'm walking into when I get there. I doubt they'll want to throw me in jail but you never know...

Regardless, I will be arriving at the airport in about 30 days telling them I have overstayed by 7 years and have an expired passport. Please advise as to what may happen.

Thank you so much for any info you can provide!

J

Hi J,
I understand your concern,I think you want what HOMEland security want...to show up in front of them.
It would be a normal procedure for you if you turnup in front of homeland security then they will arrange your deportation.
You did not disclosed about your son,is he with you or with his mom.
For your best bet, show up to the homeland security office.
Good luck

nemo999

Re: UK National living in the US - Advice needed HELP PLEASE

Post by nemo999 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:24 am

Sorry to hear about your situation.

I am not a lawyer but common sense suggests that you should go to the British High commission in USA (BEFORE approaching Homeland security) and explain the situation, requesting consular assistance and also requesting an emergency travel document.

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document

Usually they are very supportive, they MAY* also be able to arrange for your flight back to UK.

British High commission in USA should be able to send you home and also provide legal representation /immigration attorney , if required.

Good Luck, and take good care of your health. It may sound trivial but do eat well and do not get in trouble with police / alcohol etc.