ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US & UK dual nationality

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

vp23

US & UK dual nationality

Post by vp23 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:48 am

Need to get your view point
My daughter is a US born citizen now in UK on ILR. As a minor we are looking for her to be registered as a British citizen soon.

Need to understand
1. Any issues with dual nationality and will she be able to retain both nationalities ?
2 do we need to be aware of any tax or benefits issues at a later date onc you are a major

Any help is greatly appreciated

noajthan

Re: US & UK dual nationality

Post by noajthan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:52 am

vp23 wrote:Need to get your view point
My daughter is a US born citizen now in UK on ILR. As a minor we are looking for her to be registered as a British citizen soon.

Need to understand
1. Any issues with dual nationality and will she be able to retain both nationalities ?
2 do we need to be aware of any tax or benefits issues at a later date onc you are a major

1) No, not really. Yes.

2) Not really. Just pay taxes due.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:21 am

You should be aware that USA tax people on their worldwide income as far as I understand. You should look into that.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kankerot

Post by kankerot » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:45 pm

vp23 wrote:Need to get your view point

Need to understand

She can have multiple citizenships - it all depends on which countries. You can have US and UK.

US taxes all income no matter where it is earned. US taxes based on citizenship whilst the UK taxes on residency ie

Muira
United States of America

Post by Muira » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:01 pm

The US requires that income over a certain amount must be declared through filing a tax return; but if she is working in the UK and paying the taxes due; then she will likely not need to pay taxes to the US as both countries have an agreement for it.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:03 pm

Muira wrote:The US requires that income over a certain amount must be declared through filing a tax return; but if she is working in the UK and paying the taxes due; then she will likely not need to pay taxes to the US as both countries have an agreement for it.
Please don't dig up old threads. This one is from March 2016 and the OP hasn't visited the forum for 6 months :!:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.