ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will this cause my wife permanent problems?

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Nick2442
Newly Registered

Will this cause my wife permanent problems?

Post by Nick2442 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:33 pm

I have a question that has probably been asked before, but I didn't find the precise situation by searching the forum. Here is my question:

I'm an American citizen, and my wife is Thai -- we emigrated to Canada together, and lived there for one year. I couldn't find a decent job, and ended up taking a position in Montana; my wife flew in to Calgary, I picked her up, and she came to join me (she has a standing 10 year multiple entry visitor visa). We told the border guard that we were both visiting my parents. Our plan was to stay in Montana until I found a job in Alberta.

I found a job in Alberta just before my wife's 6 month stay was up. We drove up to accept it and to look around, but had to go back to Montana to wrap things up. I told the border guard the truth, that my wife had been living with me, that we were in the process of moving to Edmonton, and that if he could let her back in for two weeks we would be very grateful. He did, but also said that we were pretty much 'up the creek' and that he was only letting us pass because not doing so would probably cause more difficulties. He told us that he was making a note in my wife's record, and that the next time she entered the States we should make sure that we bring evidence of our ties in Canada (contracts, leases, etc.).

My question is this: does my wife's ability to enter the U.S. in the future now rest on the discretion of a border guard? Is there a chance that if she tries to come in she will be banned? Or is this a situation where, if we bring evidence that we really are living in Canada (which is true, we have no intention of emigrating to the U.S.), we should really not have much trouble? I do understand that lying to a border guard is a crime, and that a visitor visa is not a residence visa; but at the same time, my wife did not overstay and did not work.

Finally, when we become Canadian citizens, will this follow her onto a new passport? Basically, what we want to know is whether we can count on getting admittance, as much as anyone can, for things like funerals, family reunions, etc.

Just Wondering

Re: Will this cause my wife permanent problems?

Post by Just Wondering » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:10 am

He can note whatever he likes on her record but if she hasn't violated her visa then it shouldn't cause any issues with her re-entering the United States.

Best advice would be to bring proof of your life in Canada when you cross the border by car. By air, you'll normally have a return ticket.

The border guard sounds like he was being a bit jumped up.