ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help with last visa before applying for 10 year route

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Ikea345
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Will I fail 10 year route because of this small gap?

Post by Ikea345 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:53 pm

Hi members and moderators,

I initially arrived in the UK as a student on 18/09/2014 under Tier 4. Subsequently, I switched to a family life private visa in 2018, which expired on 23/05/2021. I submitted an application to switch to my current Skilled Worker visa on 23/04/2021, within the UK, and went for biometric appointment on 21/05/2023. However, my current BRP's date of issue is on 26/05/2021, resulting in a 3-day gap. I am concerned about whether this gap might impact my application for the 10-year route this September. Additionally, I would like to note that my Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) from my employer covers the period from 06/06/2021 to 05/06/2024, if that information is relevant.

Many thanks in advance any help would be greatly appreciated.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Will I fail 10 year route because of this small gap?

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:54 pm

CoS is irrelevant.

Gap is not an issue provided you applied before your previous visa expired.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ikea345
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Ikea345 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:06 pm

Thanks CR001 for your prompt response, you've truly helped me feel much more at ease. Would it be advisable for me to include email confirmation from 2021, indicating that I applied for my current visa before its expiration date, when I apply for my 10-year route in September, or is it unnecessary? Many thanks again.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:08 pm

Unnecessary. Submit only what is required.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ikea345
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Help with last visa before applying for 10 year route

Post by Ikea345 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:28 am

I initially arrived in the UK as a student on 18/09/2014 under Tier 4. Currently, I am on a skilled worker visa, and my Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) is set to expire on 19/06/2024. The Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) provided by my employer covers the period from 06/06/2021 to 05/06/2024. I am in discussions with my employer regarding the renewal of my skilled worker visa. Considering my upcoming application for the 10-year route in September, should I extend it for 1 year or 2 years?

I appreciate any assistance, and thank you in advance for your help.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Help with last visa before applying for 10 year route

Post by zimba » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:49 pm

Ikea345 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:28 am

I initially arrived in the UK as a student on 18/09/2014 under Tier 4. Currently, I am on a skilled worker visa, and my Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) is set to expire on 19/06/2024. The Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) provided by my employer covers the period from 06/06/2021 to 05/06/2024. I am in discussions with my employer regarding the renewal of my skilled worker visa. Considering my upcoming application for the 10-year route in September, should I extend it for 1 year or 2 years?

I appreciate any assistance, and thank you in advance for your help.
You need another year of visa to get to 10 years, so that is the minimum
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Ikea345
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Ikea345 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:51 pm

Thank you, @zimba and @CR001. Following my previous post, I am currently in discussions with my employer regarding extending my skilled worker visa. Upon the introduction of the new HC 590, I noticed a discrepancy in interpreting the long residence route.

HC 590:

LR 11.3. Subject to LR 11.4, the applicant must have had permission on their current
immigration route for at least 12 months on the date of application, or have been
exempt from immigration control in the 12 months immediately before the date of
application.

LR 11.4. If the applicant’s current permission was granted before 11 April 2024, LR
11.3. does not apply.

Explanatory memorandum:

5.35 Appendix Long Residence includes a policy change whereby applicants must have had their current permission for one year (or have been exempt from immigration control within the 12 months immediately before their application) to qualify for settlement on this route. This aligns the requirements of this route with wider requirements for settlement.

My question is, if I apply to extend my skilled worker visa before the 11th April, as long as I submit my application before that date, I am eligible to apply for ILR under the 10-year route this September? If I submit my extension application after the 11th of April, will I need to hold my Skilled Worker visa for 1 year before I am qualified for the 10-year route? But I am already on my Skilled Worker route? Or is that a break in the route? Very confusing!

Ikea345
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Ikea345 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:54 pm

Ikea345 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:51 pm
Thank you, @zimba and @CR001. Following my previous post, I am currently in discussions with my employer regarding extending my skilled worker visa. Upon the introduction of the new HC 590, I noticed a discrepancy in interpreting the long residence route.

HC 590:

LR 11.3. Subject to LR 11.4, the applicant must have had permission on their current
immigration route for at least 12 months on the date of application, or have been
exempt from immigration control in the 12 months immediately before the date of
application.

LR 11.4. If the applicant’s current permission was granted before 11 April 2024, LR
11.3. does not apply.

Explanatory memorandum:

5.35 Appendix Long Residence includes a policy change whereby applicants must have had their current permission for one year (or have been exempt from immigration control within the 12 months immediately before their application) to qualify for settlement on this route. This aligns the requirements of this route with wider requirements for settlement.

My question is, if I apply to extend my skilled worker visa before the 11th April, as long as I submit my application before that date, I am eligible to apply for ILR under the 10-year route this September? If I submit my extension application after the 11th of April, will I need to hold my Skilled Worker visa for 1 year before I am qualified for the 10-year route? But I am already on my Skilled Worker route? Or is that a break in the route? Very confusing!

I understand that this new update is quite confusing, and unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any information online about it. Could anyone provide some insight into my question?

Thank you!

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:19 pm

You need to have held you visa under ROUTE for at least a year, so an extension under the same route does not prevent you from applying immediately
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Ikea345
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Ikea345 » Thu May 16, 2024 4:17 pm

I will soon be placed on a PIP because my company is struggling. This means that starting in June, I could be dismissed at any time (I hold a SWV until Mid 2025). With my 10 year route ILR set to complete for September, will I still be able to submit a ILR application based on the 10 year route, even if I am not being sponsored by my employer? (I assume the SWV curtailment letter will follow straight after I am dismissed). And what type of immigration status will I be classed under if I am dismissed? Could any member or admin kindly answer this question? Many thanks!

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Thu May 16, 2024 4:46 pm

Ikea345 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 4:17 pm
I will soon be placed on a PIP because my company is struggling. This means that starting in June, I could be dismissed at any time (I hold a SWV until Mid 2025). With my 10 year route ILR set to complete for September, will I still be able to submit a ILR application based on the 10 year route, even if I am not being sponsored by my employer? (I assume the SWV curtailment letter will follow straight after I am dismissed). And what type of immigration status will I be classed under if I am dismissed? Could any member or admin kindly answer this question? Many thanks!
Losing your job does not have any effect as long as the new visa expiry (due to curtailment) gives you enough visa time to reach within 28 days of becoming eligible when you can indeed apply under the long residence.