ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Family permit for Australian unmarried partner of EU cit

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

aussiegirl

EEA Family permit for Australian unmarried partner of EU cit

Post by aussiegirl » Tue May 20, 2008 11:09 am

I would greatly appreciate any advice on our situation. I am an Australian citizen, living in Australia, engaged to an Austrian/Australian dual national living in the UK. My fiance moved to the UK 12 months ago as a result of a fantastic job offer, and plans to stay in the UK for at least the next 2 years. I have just completed my doctoral studies here in Australia and am now ready to join him in the UK. We are trying to find the fastest possible way for me to join him in the UK that will also allow me to undertake full-time employment.

We first moved in together in Australia in November 2003, into a house that I own in my name. We have loads of documents and bills in joint names, photos, emails, etc. that document our life together since this time. We plan to be married here in Australia in October 2009 (on a holiday from the UK). From what I have read so far about the EEA family permit, it seems that I could be eligible as an unmarried partner, if the Home Office accepts that we have been living in a 'relationship akin to marriage'.

However, I envisage one problem - we have spent substantial periods of time living in different countries. I spent two years overseas as part of my PhD studies, and we have now been living apart for another 12 months (although we have spent over 3 months together during this last year). While I was studying overseas, my partner continued to live in our home, and we still have the requisite swag of bills and documents for the entire period even though I was not living there. Obviously, whenever we are both in the same country, we have been living together as a couple. The amount of time that we have spent living together, although not always in Australia, would be approximately 2.5 years. Is this going to complicate things for us? Should I omit this information from the online application (not lie, just omit)? Would I be better off perservering with a standard work permit?

Also, does anyone know how long is it likely to take to process the EEA Family Permit after lodgement in Australia, assuming that all the required paperwork is in order and we are indeed eligible?

Any advice would be most appreciated. We're very keen to live together permanently!!

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu May 22, 2008 10:09 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.