ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Multi-visit schengen visa

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

waqsbey14
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Multi-visit schengen visa

Post by waqsbey14 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:23 pm

Hi,

This forum has been really helfpul, and I wanted to ask about schengen visa for a family member please.

The got a visa for 3 months, already travelled abroad, and now want to go again to another country. Can this be done on the same visa or do they need a new schengen visa ?

Many thanks for your help

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: Multi-visit schengen visa

Post by Angel99 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:36 pm

Hi,

if the visa is mutilple entries they can use it to travel to any schengen area until the 90 days period. However if they are going to a different country which issued the visa it's best to have proof of funds nd hotel booking or proof of accommodation on hand at the airport.

waqsbey14
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by waqsbey14 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:44 pm

Angel99 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:36 pm
Hi,

if the visa is mutilple entries they can use it to travel to any schengen area until the 90 days period. However if they are going to a different country which issued the visa it's best to have proof of funds nd hotel booking or proof of accommodation on hand at the airport.
Thank you, visa was issued by Switzerland, but now going Spain. We'll have booked a hotel, and proof of funds would be no problem. I rang Spain consulate, they said it's fine but check with Swiss consulate, I rang them and they're confused why Spain asked to call them :|

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:48 am

Angel99 wrote:
Hi,

The OP might not be able to use it for the full 3 months (90 days). The amount of time OP can use in the Schengen area would be clearly depicted in the "duration of stay" on the visa.

Example: So if it says 25 days and OP has already been in the Schengen area for 10 days, OP is left with 15 days.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:48 am

Ticktack wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:48 am
Angel99 wrote:
Hi,

The OP might not be able to use it for the full 3 months (90 days). The amount of time OP can use in the Schengen area would be clearly depicted in the "duration of stay" on the visa.

Example: So if it says 25 days and OP has already been in the Schengen area for 10 days, OP is left with 15 days.
Maybe read what I sent carefully "until the 90days period" which exactly means until all 90days has been used.

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:01 pm

And multiple entry schengen visas do not have a limit of stay except the 90days period or validity of the visa. If OP has 3 months visa with multiple entries. They can use it for several entries for 3 months in 180days until the visa expires.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:48 pm

Angel99 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:01 pm
And multiple entry schengen visas do not have a limit of stay except the 90days period or validity of the visa. If OP has 3 months visa with multiple entries. They can use it for several entries for 3 months in 180days until the visa expires.
Be careful what you advise with such certainty!
DURATION OF STAY………DAYS indicates the number of days you may stay in the Schengen area. The days should be counted from the date you enter the Schengen area (the entry stamp) to the date you exit the Schengen area (the exit stamp), i.e. both days included.

The period of time between "FROM …UNTIL" is usually longer than the number of days printed in the "DURATION OF STAY" field. The difference in period is meant to give you flexibility to plan your entry into and exit from the Schengen area, but your stay in the Schengen area must never exceed the exact number of days in the "DURATION OF STAY …DAYS" field. No matter how many days you have stayed in the Schengen area, you must leave no later than the date printed in the "UNTIL" field."
https://home-affairs.ec.europa.eu/how-r ... sticker_en

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:13 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:48 pm
Angel99 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:01 pm
Be careful what you advise with such certainty!
DURATION OF STAY………DAYS indicates the number of days you may stay in the Schengen area. The days should be counted from the date you enter the Schengen area (the entry stamp) to the date you exit the Schengen area (the exit stamp), i.e. both days included.

The period of time between "FROM …UNTIL" is usually longer than the number of days printed in the "DURATION OF STAY" field. The difference in period is meant to give you flexibility to plan your entry into and exit from the Schengen area, but your stay in the Schengen area must never exceed the exact number of days in the "DURATION OF STAY …DAYS" field. No matter how many days you have stayed in the Schengen area, you must leave no later than the date printed in the "UNTIL" field."
https://home-affairs.ec.europa.eu/how-r ... sticker_en
You are just misunderstanding yourself.

With a multiple-entry visa, you can travel as often as you wish from a country outside the Schengen area to the Netherlands or other Schengen countries, as long as your visa is valid. Remember that you are not allowed to stay in the Schengen area for longer than 90 days within a 180-day period.

https://www.netherlandsworldwide.nl/vis ... entry-visa

You will not be given a multiple entry visa which is valid for 3 months with 10days duration of stay each visit. The term multiple entries is there for a reason.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:23 pm

Angel99 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:13 pm
You will not be given a multiple entry visa which is valid for 3 months with 10days duration of stay each visit. The term multiple entries is there for a reason.
I wouldn't quite agree - you can be given a visa that has a less than 90 day duration, absolutely. I myself was given a 3.5 month visa which had 20 days I could spend in Schengen zone instead of usual 90.

But that would be a total duration for the whole 3 months (or however long the visa is for), you decide how you want to spend it (all 20 days in one go, spend a day or two each visit, etc).
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:43 pm

meself2 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:23 pm
Angel99 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:13 pm
I wouldn't quite agree - you can be given a visa that has a less than 90 day duration, absolutely. I myself was given a 3.5 month visa which had 20 days I could spend in Schengen zone instead of usual 90.

But that would be a total duration for the whole 3 months (or however long the visa is for), you decide how you want to spend it (all 20 days in one go, spend a day or two each visit, etc).
I sent a reference so you can go through it. Maybe the country who gave you that visa did it in their own terms or the applicant stated the duration. But a normal multiple entry visa can be used until it expiry unless it's 90 days + visa which must be under the 180days clock.

Most and I mean almost all multiple entry visas I have seen are all 1 year or more with 90days clock.

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:51 pm

I just came across what you mentioned and saw some which are as you stated. But if the applicant exit the Schengen area the duration restarts.

The OP question was can they use it again to "travel" to the Schengen area but another country. And i stated it can be used until it validity. He obviously has an idea th duration of stay written on the visa since they have used it before.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:53 pm

To add to the above from @meself2, I've personally seen "issued from" which was an earlier date.
Valid from: Date you plan on entering the Schengen area and valid until (say 6 months). But duration was 90 days.

Example;
Issued from 01.01.2023
Valid from 06.04.2023
Until 02.10.2023
Duration 90 days and some duration is 60 days

Schengen rules of engagement are different. There's no standard to it.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:58 pm

Angel99 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:43 pm
Most and I mean almost all multiple entry visas I have seen are all 1 year or more with 90days clock.
I guess your nationality is in the list of reputable ones, I've seen a big amount of "multiple entry" visas for 30, 10 or even 4 days; people ask for multiple entry, hoping for longer visas, and they get multiple entry, but there's no time to even leave the country and come back for a second trip.
I can just be happy for your freedom in Schengen zone.
But if the applicant exit the Schengen area the duration restarts.
You're correct, but be vary it's not the case for all of them, only if it's long enough where 90/180 rule works. If, like in my case, you have a 3 month visa with 20 days duration, it's 20 days total validity, you leaving Schengen doesn't restart it.

But I agree, we're very much going off track here - let's pause with thread pollution and not derail it, ceasing giving OP unnecessary information.

OP, you're fine traveling somewhere else as long as your visa is in date and you abide by 90/180 rule.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:06 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:53 pm
To add to the above from @meself2, I've personally seen "issued from" which was an earlier date.
Valid from: Date you plan on entering the Schengen area and valid until (say 6 months). But duration was 90 days.

Example;
Issued from 01.01.2023
Valid from 06.04.2023
Until 02.10.2023
Duration 90 days and some duration is 60 days

Schengen rules of engagement are different. There's no standard to it.
Ofcourse the issuing date is not necessarily the valid date of the visa. It depends on the embassy and what you stated on your application form.

About the duration I just researched and saw some which are given shorter days even when its multiple entries but normally it has 90days duration because the multiple entries are normally given to frequent travellers or a relative.

The OP question was answered and accurate. He did not ask for the duration. He asked if it's still valid for travel.

Even if you are given 20days duration as soon as you leave the EU the duration restarts until 90days or its validity.

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:09 pm

meself2 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:58 pm
Angel99 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:43 pm
I guess your nationality is in the list of reputable ones, I've seen a big amount of "multiple entry" visas for 30, 10 or even 4 days; people ask for multiple entry, hoping for longer visas, and they get multiple entry, but there's no time to even leave the country and come back for a second trip.
I can just be happy for your freedom in Schengen zone.
But if the applicant exit the Schengen area the duration restarts.
You're correct, but be vary it's not the case for all of them, only if it's long enough where 90/180 rule works. If, like in my case, you have a 3 month visa with 20 days duration, it's 20 days total validity, you leaving Schengen doesn't restart it.

But I agree, we're very much going off track here - let's pause with thread pollution and not derail it, ceasing giving OP unnecessary information.

OP, you're fine traveling somewhere else as long as your visa is in date and you abide by 90/180 rule.
Exactly.

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:17 pm

@meself2 .

How come your schengen multiple visa was valid for 3months and has 20days duration of stay but leaving the state doesn't restarts it. Then it is not mutilple entries. Are you not sure your visa had 02 or dual at entry column? Because it's 20days limit each visit for 3 months.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:39 pm

Angel99 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:17 pm
meself2 .

How come your schengen multiple visa was valid for 3months and has 20days duration of stay but leaving the state doesn't restarts it. Then it is not mutilple entries. Are you not sure your visa had 02 or dual at entry column? Because it's 20days limit each visit for 3 months.
Nope, it had "mult" in entry, looking at it right now.

It, basically, allows you to use the days in different chunks, ie come for 5 days, another 5 days, another 5 days and so on, until you hit 20 (as my fellow countrymen aren't welcome in Schengen by that embassy).
Not sure what's the source here, but here's another way to phrase it -
https://en.m.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Travel ... engen_Area
Hence, if you are given a multiple-entry visa valid for three months but the length stay only allows 10 days, the 10 days won't be reset by you leaving the Schengen zone and returning later. In this case, if you stayed for 4 days on your initial visit but wish to come back while the visa is still valid, you can only return for a maximum of 6 days on that visa.
Or another quote from Danish authorities:
https://nyidanmark.dk/de-DE/Words-and-c ... a-sticker/
The section entitled 'DURATION OF STAY… DAYS' states the maximum number of days in which the holder can stay in the area in which the visa is valid. This number of days can be spent either on one continual stay or various stays, within the time frame of the visa's validity and in accordance with the number of entries permitted. In other words, a visa holder may not spend more days in Denmark (or the Schengen region)than the amount of days stated in this section, regardless of the period of validity stated (cf. 'Text B').

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:03 pm

meself2 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:39 pm
Angel99 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:17 pm
meself2 .

Nope, it had "mult" in entry, looking at it right now.

It, basically, allows you to use the days in different chunks, ie come for 5 days, another 5 days, another 5 days and so on, until you hit 20 (as my fellow countrymen aren't welcome in Schengen by that embassy).
Not sure what's the source here, but here's another way to phrase it -
https://en.m.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Travel ... engen_Area
Hence, if you are given a multiple-entry visa valid for three months but the length stay only allows 10 days, the 10 days won't be reset by you leaving the Schengen zone and returning later. In this case, if you stayed for 4 days on your initial visit but wish to come back while the visa is still valid, you can only return for a maximum of 6 days on that visa.
Or another quote from Danish authorities:
https://nyidanmark.dk/de-DE/Words-and-c ... a-sticker/
The section entitled 'DURATION OF STAY… DAYS' states the maximum number of days in which the holder can stay in the area in which the visa is valid. This number of days can be spent either on one continual stay or various stays, within the time frame of the visa's validity and in accordance with the number of entries permitted. In other words, a visa holder may not spend more days in Denmark (or the Schengen region)than the amount of days stated in this section, regardless of the period of validity stated (cf. 'Text B').
I understand you perfectly now. Probably I am too used to the long visas. The 20days doesn't restart even if valid for more than 20days. Indirectly they are giving a single entry. Because you can't do much with 20days mult.