ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Are my children already British Citizens?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kfk
Newly Registered

Are my children already British Citizens?

Post by kfk » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:10 pm

I am a German national who has been living and working in the UK since 1994. I've had 2 chilren with my unmarried British partner in 2003 and 2005. I am currently applying for British Citizenship and would like to obtain it for my children as well. I have done the Life in the UK test and have completed the forms for myself and was doing a section 1(3) application for the children. However, on calling the Home Office to confirm I had the right forms for submission they suggested that they thought the children were already British and hence no need to register them. They stated that this is because of the Lassal ruling and that I should get confrmation from the passport office. The Passport Office had never heard of the Lassal ruling. Are the children British Citizens already with entitlement to a British Passport?

The Passport Office says that if they were born before 2000 or after April 2006 they would be British at birth. In between those dates they are not unless I have a ILR stamp in my passport (which I do not).

The Home Office says that the Lassal ruling applies and that the Passport Office understanding of the law is incorrect, but they will not put this opinion in writing. The Home Office believes that if I can prove that I lived in the UK for 5 years before 2000, then I already had permanent residence when the children were born and hence they have British citizenship from birth, so no expensive citizenship application is required for them; only a passport application is required. I have read the Lassal, not following how it applies in my case. Can anyone explain how it is relevant?

Is the Home Office or Passport Office correct?
If the Home Office is correct how do I persuade the Passport Office?

Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:04 pm

Last edited by vinny on Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Re: Are my children already British Citizens?

Post by vinny » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:26 pm

kfk wrote:If the Home Office is correct how do I persuade the Passport Office?
Apply for Confirmation of British nationality status for the children. Use these confirmations when applying for their British passports.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:12 am

kfk - Are you the mother of the children, or the father?

kfk
Newly Registered

Post by kfk » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:55 am

To JAJ - Mother. Apologies for not being clear.

To Vinny - Thank you for your answer. Are you able to explain how the Lassal ruling applies in my case?

elias
Newly Registered

To KFK

Post by elias » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:13 pm

If your partner is British as you said, you don't need to stress yourself, the children are already British Citizens.
Check from the website below: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... territory/

If you were born in the United Kingdom on or after 1 January 1983, you are a British citizen if at the time of your birth one of your parents was:
â– a British citizen; or
â– legally settled in the United Kingdom.
By the virtue of your partner being british, they are already.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:46 pm

Chidren's father's status is irrelevant as father is unmarried. Does not satisfy the meaning of "parent".

TracyCK

Post by TracyCK » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:09 pm

vinny wrote:Chidren's father's status is irrelevant as father is unmarried. Does not satisfy the meaning of "parent".
If the partner is listed on the birth certificate(s) as the father, or parentage can be proven by a DNA test, then this satisfies the definition of parent in the document that this links to and as such, the children are British Citizens by birthright.
Husband issued with an EEA FP via Surinder Singh and various complications :)
Original thread: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=45808
Second thread: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=309363

John

Post by John » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:55 am

TracyCK, did you read the definition of "parent" in the link provided by Vinny? We are talking here about children born before 01.07.06. So Citizenship of father, not married to mother, is irrelevant.

But the children appear to be British, through their mother, who in accordance with Lassal had PR status at the time of their birth, so the UK-born children have been, we can now say, British from the moment of birth.
John

TracyCK

Post by TracyCK » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:13 am

Apologies, I must have missed the part about being born before 2006 and should have known better that Vinny would have been correct!

On a personal note, I find it quite wrong that the proven father couldn't pass down his nationality if the parents weren't actually married and that when the law was altered, it wasn't done retroactively.
Husband issued with an EEA FP via Surinder Singh and various complications :)
Original thread: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=45808
Second thread: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=309363