ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Guidance on Tier 1 Extn using all overseas earning

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

me786

Guidance on Tier 1 Extn using all overseas earning

Post by me786 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:59 am

I am in the process of preparing myself to get my Tier 1 visa extended by using all overseas earning. I have been following this forum for quite some time to collect all information/issues associated with this scenario. I am sure there are many on this forum who have gone through these issues and it will be invaluable if they can share their real experience on the same. With the aim of identifying ways to mitigate any risk associated with such application, I have thought of taking certain steps in advance which I am sharing below. Please share your views on the same and suggest any additional steps that can be taken to smoothen the process.

Some of the major hurdles which i identified in the extension process when one has worked overseas for most of the grant period are :-

1> Entering UK with limited leave to remain on the Visa.
To clear the immigration check smoothly one needs to showcase the intent of living and working in the UK. So any proofs associated with a scheduled job interview or intent to look for a job while in the UK should definitely help. I am not sure if entering UK with a one way ticket may help ..suggestions?

2> In person applications are not granted the same day or takes longer.
I believe this can be only helped by improving the quality of the documentary proofs submitted. The other option is to apply through post which may not be feasible if one has plans to leave UK post extension.

Some documents that I think may help the process:-
  • Employer’s reference letter to prove your status of employment.
    Tax slip/receipts to showcase your tax status in the foreign country.
    Any foreign Id proof for your resident status in the foreign country.
    If submitting a foreign bank statements then back it up with a letter from the bank on its letterhead confirming the authenticity of the statements.
    Also inform your employer/Client in advance about a possible background verification by UKBA and ensure they respond quickly and in the affirmative.
I request others to who have gone through similar process to add their bits as this may help many of us.

Points to note:

1> Using overseas earnings for Tier 1 extn should be done without using any upliftment i.e. direct conversion of foreign earning to GBP.
2> Any stay outside UK for a period more than 90 days may impact the chances of ILR.

PS: This is my understanding of the process and it is possible that I may have missed or misunderstood something. This is just to collectively understand the complexity of the process and one must draw their own conclusions based on their situation.

tier1extend
India

Post by tier1extend » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:35 pm

i will put my experience regarding the 2 concerns you raised

1> Entering UK with limited leave to remain on the Visa.:

As long as you are entering for the purpose of work, i don't think IO officer can create any unwanted problems. Be honest and stick to your point. scheduling interviews might help. But it is not mandatory. Don't try to fake anything. That might land you in trouble for deception etc.
I was asked unnecessary questions by the x-ray technician when i told her i didn't have a job. they started discussing about the unemployment in Britain and still new people want to enter..blah blah.
IO officer just asked my purpose.

2> In person applications are not granted the same day or takes longer.

I did a PEO using overseas earnings. i got the approval on the same day.
But no one can promise that. Maybe i was lucky.
My company and my bank has offices in UK too. So maybe they were able to verify easily. i am just guessing.
the primary proof should be salary slips and bank statements. They should be as per guidance. Rest all are not mandatory. But include it if think it will help.

btw i had to move out of UK after the extension and i will be entering again next month ( after 5 months) . My ILR ofcourse will be reset.

But i am hoping to get extra extensions as needed if the rules stay unchanged.

all the best. let us know how it went.

me786

Post by me786 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:03 am

Thanks Tier1extend for your views on the process. I have a follow up question which i am not sure you will be in a position to answer however i will go ahead and ask :-)

Once the process was over, were you able to find out what kind of verification was done with your overseas employer? What is the mode of communication that UKBA uses to contact any employer?

Anyone who has any idea about the verification process, please share your views. This might help me inform my employer appropriately in advance.

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:43 am

me786 wrote:Thanks Tier1extend for your views on the process. I have a follow up question which i am not sure you will be in a position to answer however i will go ahead and ask :-)

Once the process was over, were you able to find out what kind of verification was done with your overseas employer? What is the mode of communication that UKBA uses to contact any employer?

Anyone who has any idea about the verification process, please share your views. This might help me inform my employer appropriately in advance.
It will always be tricky to get a PEO approval on same day application as they have no mean of verifying your documents. No one would know the exact process of verification but UKBA staff
An [Expensive] Immigrant journey has ended 19/08/2015. Good luck to you all out there...

tier1extend
India

Post by tier1extend » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:07 pm

they were able to verify my documents on the same day. But i don't know how the verification was done. btw all my earnings were earned in US. Maybe they have the facility to verify documents for few countries. again i am guessing. No one would be able to confirm this.
My PEO location was Sheffield.

sts96508
Member of Standing

Post by sts96508 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:08 pm

me786 wrote:Thanks Tier1extend for your views on the process. I have a follow up question which i am not sure you will be in a position to answer however i will go ahead and ask :-)

you are assuming verification will always be done for overseas earning. not always true. I know of another forum member - cherrypie - who visited UK just to get her T1 extended, with only overseas earning, and she got same day PEO approval. the T1 guidance states that they will verify docs only they have reason to doubt something

me786

T1 Extn using all overseas earning

Post by me786 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:25 am

This information may be important or helpful in some way. I got my Tier1 visa extended through PEO in Glasgow using all overseas earnings (foreign earnings). The decision took not more than 2 hours and was not asked anything which was not normal. I had submitted original payslips and original bank statements which may have helped the process. I will post a more detailed experience when i have more time.

Lastly, a big note of appreciation for all forum members who are doing a great job of helping others. Many Thanks.

Mark 1100
Newly Registered

Re: T1 Extn using all overseas earning

Post by Mark 1100 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:59 pm

I have personally seen an application for extension using overseas earning supporting uk earnings on a PEO in glasgow. The client was granted an extension easiely.
However when it came to the ILR again the applicant went to glasgow PEO and the application was refused as the proof of income could not be verified because the employers letter of support was not meeting the policy guidance. The client got another letter from employer and applied for the same PEO in glasgow and lLR was granted.
so it depends on luck at times.
Fingures crossed dont give up.

shahmir

Post by shahmir » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:00 am

Guys tell me the following is possible or not.

You get a 2 year initial Tier 1 visa. Your required income level is 50k. You live in the UK for 20 months and earn only 20k in the last 8 months. Then you go back home, work there three months and return with foreign earnings of 30k. Have you met legal INCOME requirements FOR EXTENSION?

If yes, and if you get another three year extension. During the 5th year, you go back home again and return within three months with required level of foreign earnings.
Have you met INCOME & UK RESIDENCE legal requirements for ILR?
lets get together for migrants' rights

Mark 1100
Newly Registered

Post by Mark 1100 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:40 am

Please do read the guidance notes clearly. With my experience i had 90% Income having worked abroad for two months.
So what you are thinking about is possible. However you need to get proof of bank statements and letters to support your case as the case workers may be tight on you.
You will definately get what you want as its acceptable as per the guidance.
The issue with overseas income you must have proof and some case workers tighten but again they must follow the policy guidance.
so try it,
Any problems write me a private message in my inbox.

Mark 1100
Newly Registered

Post by Mark 1100 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:42 am

Watch the number of days you are out brother as it affects the ILR.
if its work related you need a letter to confirm that and relevance of the work.
good luck