ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Right of abode - applying for british passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Amjad26
Newly Registered

Right of abode - applying for british passport

Post by Amjad26 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:19 am

Hello

I am trying to find out what the procedure is to become naturalised/british citizen.

I arrived in the UK to settle on 1.3.13, I have a Pakistani passport with a certificate of 'entitlement to right of abode'.

I have been informed that I cannot apply for a british passport until I become naturalised.
Can someone please confirm if this is correct and if so what process do I follow to become naturalised?

Also my children are still in pakistan, what sort of application do a I complete so that they can move to the uk with me. They are Pakistani citizens but do not have right of abode like me.

Thanks, hoping someone can help.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:59 am

On what basis did you aquire the right of abode?

When were you born?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Amjad26
Newly Registered

Post by Amjad26 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:07 am

I was born in 1972 in Pakistan.
My other was born in the UK in 1948.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:25 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Amjad26
Newly Registered

Post by Amjad26 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:20 am

Thanks for the info.

Would you happen to know if I can apply for a passport without having to go through the citizenship application?

My mother was born in the UK as my grandfather was in the army stationed in the Uk. She however has never been registered as British but has a UK birth certificate. Is this sufficient evidence of her being British?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:32 am

No. Only British citizens may apply for British passports.

Prior to 1983, being born in the UK was sufficient to be a UK citizen, unless one was the child of a foriegn diplomat or an enemy alien.
Last edited by vinny on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NelsonVG
Newly Registered

Registering as citizen: Pre 1983 foreign born to UK mother

Post by NelsonVG » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:10 am

As you were born before 1983 I don't think you can apply for a passport yet. I believe you have to register as a UK citizen. For clarity, you are already a UK citizen and once registered will be regarded as having been a UK citizen since your birth. But, you will have to register.

I have posted a query on this topic too but it is not the exact same as yours.

Amjad26
Newly Registered

Post by Amjad26 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:53 pm

Thanks again for the info.

What application do I need to complete for this and is there a fast track service for people with right of abode?