ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of name route - UK passport, OCI or Indian passport?

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ramu123

Change of name route - UK passport, OCI or Indian passport?

Post by ramu123 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:39 am

Hi,
We are planning to change my wife's name. She has Indian passport at the moment. And we are planning to apply for British passport. Which route is the easiest to change the name?

- Get the deed and apply for UK passort using the new name and then apply for OCI with the new name? In this case will India accept this as valid and consider in future, for e.g. in India and to take Indian citizenship back?

- Or get the name changed first using High commission route (affidavit, newspapers etc) and get a new Indian passport and then apply for UK passport?

I am very keen to avoid High Commission route as it's lengthy and time consuming.

I tried to search the forum for thsi but coulnd't exactly find what i am after.

So any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

nehalbhagat

Post by nehalbhagat » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:23 am

Which name she is changing ?
Is she changing her first name or is she replacing her surname/middlename to with your name ?

ramu123

Post by ramu123 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:13 am

It's the surname.

NO1UKlover
Newly Registered

Post by NO1UKlover » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:08 am

My cousin has got her surname changed through HCI and she reckons it was painless. Prepare an affidivit and get name changed in the passport.

I would suggest, it is always better to get it changed through Indian authorities, if you intend to return India/give-up British nationality in future.

nehalbhagat

Reply..

Post by nehalbhagat » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:31 pm

If she is taking your name is then she can apply British passport asking for your surname in it.

She can provide marriage certificate or deed poll for British passport application.

For OCI, Please take your original marriage certificate when you go for application submission and they will accept it.

I recently went HCI London and asked the same question. Staff confirmed that you just need a marriage certificate to get OCI on new surname or middle name.

If you need a deed poll template then PM me, I will email you. It is free to do in UK .

gj6ab5657
Mood:
India

Re: Hi!

Post by gj6ab5657 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:53 pm

nehalbhagat wrote:If she is taking your name is then she can apply British passport asking for your surname in it.

She can provide marriage certificate or deed poll for British passport application.

For OCI, Please take your original marriage certificate when you go for application submission and they will accept it.

I recently went HCI London and asked the same question. Staff confirmed that you just need a marriage certificate to get OCI on new surname or middle name.

If you need a deed poll template then PM me, I will email you. It is free to do in UK .
you can use following link
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/rel ... f_name.htm

roxy444
Newly Registered

Re: Change of name route - UK passport, OCI or Indian passpo

Post by roxy444 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:52 pm

Hi Ramu123,
I've got a similar similar situation. Which way did you opted to change your wife's surname? Did you have any issues changing her name?