ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does your degree meet the B1 requirement?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

niranjany
Newly Registered

Post by niranjany » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Thanks.

what about UK master's degree? I suppose should be the same?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:07 pm

For a UK awarded degree the certificate alone should suffice in addition to LIUK.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

kmahere
Newly Registered

Re: success ILR with only Degree

Post by kmahere » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:30 pm

gana wrote:Hi Guys,

Just to give you an update. I got ILR for my wife & me. I have shown only her degree and PBS calculator print out.

Got on 1st of Nov 2013. Hope this helps.

PEO : croydon
Hi Gana,

Congrats and thanks for clarifying a most confused requirement. Please can you explain the country from where degree is obtained and if it contained applicant's full first & surname (not just initial) & medium of instruction.

Thanks!

aliq09
Member of Standing
Mood:
United States of America

Re: Does your degree meet the B1 requirement?

Post by aliq09 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:36 pm

D4109125 wrote:The following post is regarding settlement (ILR) applications and the additional B1 English requirement.

If you have an overseas Bachelor’s, Masters or PhD degree that is comparable to a UK degree and was taught in English then that should suffice the new B1 requirement in addition to the LIUK test.

There are two assessments/statements offered by UKNARIC:

1. UKNARIC statement of comparability and

2. UKNARIC English Language Assessment

If your degree is awarded points on the PBS calculator this should suffice (include a print out) if the degree is not awarded points then:

I believe that the Statement of Comparability (thus the degree is deemed to be comparable by UKNARIC) and proof it was taught in English (either a certificate or letter from the institution) should suffice as per the Home Office Guidance at page 35.

For naturalisation: the same should apply.

Hi ,

First of all thanks for the information and i really request to make it sticky so that no confusion should be there .. Can you further please group the cases as to my best knowledge , people are coming with following case / Scenerios

Case No:1 I have UK Degree ( including BSC / MSC & PHD )

Case No:2 I am on TIER1 visa and i have proved my initial English requirement at the time of entry clearence while demonstarting the following piece of documents
a) I submitted original UK NARIC letter with English Language test / IELTS or TOEFL etc
b) I submitted my degree with letter from academic body that the medium of instruction is English for my course and the course appear in UKBA calculator .

c) My degree or course is not appearing in calculator ?

Case No:3 Dependent cases

Thanks
Thanks

Ali

suds19

Re: Does your degree meet the B1 requirement?

Post by suds19 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:53 pm

aliq09 wrote:
D4109125 wrote:The following post is regarding settlement (ILR) applications and the additional B1 English requirement.

If you have an overseas Bachelor’s, Masters or PhD degree that is comparable to a UK degree and was taught in English then that should suffice the new B1 requirement in addition to the LIUK test.

There are two assessments/statements offered by UKNARIC:

1. UKNARIC statement of comparability and

2. UKNARIC English Language Assessment

If your degree is awarded points on the PBS calculator this should suffice (include a print out) if the degree is not awarded points then:

I believe that the Statement of Comparability (thus the degree is deemed to be comparable by UKNARIC) and proof it was taught in English (either a certificate or letter from the institution) should suffice as per the Home Office Guidance at page 35.

For naturalisation: the same should apply.

Hi ,

First of all thanks for the information and i really request to make it sticky so that no confusion should be there .. Can you further please group the cases as to my best knowledge , people are coming with following case / Scenerios

Case No:1 I have UK Degree ( including BSC / MSC & PHD )

Case No:2 I am on TIER1 visa and i have proved my initial English requirement at the time of entry clearence while demonstarting the following piece of documents
a) I submitted original UK NARIC letter with English Language test / IELTS or TOEFL etc
b) I submitted my degree with letter from academic body that the medium of instruction is English for my course and the course appear in UKBA calculator .

c) My degree or course is not appearing in calculator ?
d) I submitted my degree and the course appear in UKBA calculator .

Case No:3 Dependent cases

Thanks
Many cases fall under the above point (d) and the discussion thread is going here - http://immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=149949

niranjany
Newly Registered

Post by niranjany » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:01 am

Hi,

The date of letter from university (confirming medium of instruction was in english) should be 28 days before the application date? or the date can be within 3 months.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:03 am

I do not think that would matter.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

niranjany
Newly Registered

Post by niranjany » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:06 am

Thank you Amber.. was just thinking about this if it would be an issue

ykumar1680
Newly Registered

B1 requirement?

Post by ykumar1680 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:39 pm

completed Bachelor's degree in Commerce (1998 to 2001) and during this period my study was taught in English from Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra.

I am on tier 1 general visa applying for ILR on 15 Nov this month.

this university is coming of UKBA record and i got letter from college that my qualification was taught in english.

I need to clear B1 exam or not ? pls advise

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:03 pm

If you got 10 points for that degree on the English Skills section and 30 points on qualification, on the PBS calculator, that should suffice.

arpit.tayal

Post by arpit.tayal » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:41 pm

D4109125 wrote:If you got 10 points for that degree on the English Skills section and 30 points on qualification, on the PBS calculator, that should suffice.
Hi Amber, my spouse is TIER-2 ICT dependent. PBS calculator grants her 10 points for English skills. We choose Tier-2 ICT as her Visa category.

Is that enough to prove that her qualification meets the B1 requirement?

We do not have the option of 'qualification' when we choose Tier-2.

Please advise.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:33 pm

Then just put T1 in the calculator to check it doesn't really matter what Tier you put in.

ykumar1680
Newly Registered

Re: Please help - Degree taught in English requirement

Post by ykumar1680 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:26 pm

ILR.dot.dot.dot wrote:Hi,

I am also planing to apply on 18th Nov for my ILR. I am on Tier-1 visa.

1. My course/college from India is listed in PBS calculator. I am getting a letter from college stating that the medium of instruction for the degree was English. Will it be sufficient along with LIUK test to prove the English requirement,with degree in original or I need a NARIC letter too?
2. Can I just show a original letter from college with original degree? or better I must clear b1 exam ?
3. My wife's has done MBE with same university/college is also listed in the PBS calculator. Do I need to get the NARIC letter for her too?
I got same certificate for here aswell, college letter stating the the medium was english with original B com degree from kurukshetra university,

The NARIC letter takes a month a I do not have that much time left.
Please help.
you can contact me with email aswell
ykumar1680@gmail.com
kindly help its very urgent>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks

ykumar1680
Newly Registered

Post by ykumar1680 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:29 pm

kmahere wrote:

Just to give you an update. I got ILR for my wife & me. I have shown only her degree and PBS calculator print out.

Hi Gana,

Congrats and thanks for clarifying a most confused requirement. Please can you explain the country from where degree is obtained and if it contained applicant's full first & surname (not just initial) & medium of instruction.

Thanks!

Hi,

1. My course/college from India is listed in PBS calculator. I am getting a letter from college stating that the medium of instruction for the degree was English. Will it be sufficient along with LIUK test to prove the English requirement,with degree in original or I need a NARIC letter too?
2. Can I just show a original letter from college with original degree? or better I must clear b1 exam ?
3. My wife's has done MBE with same university/college is also listed in the PBS calculator. Do I need to get the NARIC letter for her too?
I got same certificate for here aswell, college letter stating the the medium was english with original B com degree from kurukshetra university,

Please help.
ykumar1680@gmail.com

Thanks

ykumar1680
Newly Registered

Post by ykumar1680 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:31 pm

ykumar1680 wrote:
kmahere wrote:

Hi Gana,

Thanks!

Hi,

Please help.
ykumar1680@gmail.com

Thanks
hi Gana
congrats........
pls advise your study was outside uk or english speaking country ?

ykumar1680
Newly Registered

Post by ykumar1680 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:38 pm

D4109125 wrote:If you got 10 points for that degree on the English Skills section and 30 points on qualification, on the PBS calculator, that should suffice.
thanks
ya i have been proven my english language requirement twice fist for hsmp tier 1 visa and again for extension
naw i need to prove again they gave me 30 points for degree and 10 points for english language requirement.
now i got certificate also from my college do i need to do b1 exam.

pls help

ykumar1680
Newly Registered

Indefinite Leave to Remain

Post by ykumar1680 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:59 am

Hi,

Please help.
ykumar1680@gmail.com

Damanisshallo
Respected Guru

Post by Damanisshallo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:16 am

@ykumar1680,

Multiple Posts will be locked/ deleted

In response to 1 , 2 and 3
Statutory Warning:Members are advised to make thorough inquiries before acting upon any description displayed on my behalf.
Skydrives, Templates

t_india

Post by t_india » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:33 am

Hi Amber,

Sorry, this 30 points for the qualification is required only for Tier 1 Applicants applying for ILR, or is that required for all categories, including the dependants.

I am from Tier 2 - ICT

I thought Degree available in PBS and 10 points being awarded alone should be sufficient; but now confused withh this 30 points

Damanisshallo
Respected Guru

Post by Damanisshallo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:40 am

params0073 wrote:Dear Sir/Madam,

Applicants for settlement may submit a degree qualification satisfying the 10 points English language requirement on the Point Based Calculator, as acceptable evidence of B1 level English. They must submit the original degree certificate along with two prints of the Point Based Calculator (to show that it awards 30/35 points for equivalence of UK degree and 10 points for English language). These documents, together with a Life in the UK pass certificate will be acceptable as evidence of the KOLL requirement.

The point based calculator is regularly updated by UK NARIC therefore, there is no need to provide a UK NARIC letter in cases, where the Point Based Calculator recognises the degree qualification was taught in English.

Regards
Ann

@t_India, Refer to this post
Statutory Warning:Members are advised to make thorough inquiries before acting upon any description displayed on my behalf.
Skydrives, Templates

t_india

Post by t_india » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:53 am

Damanisshallo wrote:
params0073 wrote:Dear Sir/Madam,

Applicants for settlement may submit a degree qualification satisfying the 10 points English language requirement on the Point Based Calculator, as acceptable evidence of B1 level English. They must submit the original degree certificate along with two prints of the Point Based Calculator (to show that it awards 30/35 points for equivalence of UK degree and 10 points for English language). These documents, together with a Life in the UK pass certificate will be acceptable as evidence of the KOLL requirement.

The point based calculator is regularly updated by UK NARIC therefore, there is no need to provide a UK NARIC letter in cases, where the Point Based Calculator recognises the degree qualification was taught in English.

Regards
Ann

@t_India, Refer to this post
Thanks Damanisshallo; will give in as Tier 1, and take printout of qualificationa nd english skills page for both me and and dependant.

john353

Post by john353 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:01 pm

The english language requirement is clear now. I (main applicant) have already proved the english requirement at EC and just need to take printouts of 30 points for qualification and 20 points for english from PBS calculator.

But my wife's case is slightly tricky because her qualifications gives 30 points for qualification but 0 points for English. But we have a certificate from University stating that the degree was taught in English which should be ok as per Home Office Guidance at page 35.

I was wondering, since her qualification gets 30 points in PBS, does she need a NARIC statement of comparability?

john353

Post by john353 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:47 am

The english language requirement is clear now. I (main applicant) have already proved the english requirement at EC and just need to take printouts of 30 points for qualification and 20 points for english from PBS calculator.

But my wife's case is slightly tricky because her qualifications gives 30 points for qualification but 0 points for English. But we have a certificate from University stating that the degree was taught in English which should be ok as per Home Office Guidance at page 35.

I was wondering, since her qualification gets 30 points in PBS, does she need a NARIC statement of comparability?
Any thoughts?

Damanisshallo
Respected Guru

Post by Damanisshallo » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:20 pm

The news about how an applicant can use the Points Calculator is now published on UKBA's website.
Skydrives, Templates

params0073

Post by params0073 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:04 pm

Damanisshallo wrote:The news about how an applicant can use the Points Calculator is now published on UKBA's website.
Just a thought this news is under naturalization i.e BC , would they accept this for ILR as well or do we need to show the emails from settlement teams ?

Thanks

Param