ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Regarding professional referee for MN1

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rangeel

Regarding professional referee for MN1

Post by rangeel » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:01 pm

Hi all,

I am filling MN1 for my 2 year's child. I went to GP for the referee, but they told they have to know my child for at least three years and are not able to provide reference. Child never been to school, so cant have the schooling reference.

Could somebody inform me, what are the other options ? What about professional accountant, nurses ?

Any ideas would be really helpful.

Thank you

ric1982
Member of Standing

Re: Regarding professional referee for MN1

Post by ric1982 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:07 pm

rangeel wrote:Hi all,

I am filling MN1 for my 2 year's child. I went to GP for the referee, but they told they have to know my child for at least three years and are not able to provide reference. Child never been to school, so cant have the schooling reference.

Could somebody inform me, what are the other options ? What about professional accountant, nurses ?

Any ideas would be really helpful.

Thank you
Personally I dont think there should a reference request for children under 3 years but I am not the one who is making decisions here so we leave it to that...

Since your child is only 2 years old you are NEVER going to find anyone who knows him/her for 3 years. Try to get someone else from the list. My understanding is that they are quite liberal for references for infants/children so you should be fine.
We had same issue. Our GP chickened out but fortunately one of my friend who was from the list knew my kid and it went through just fine.

Ozair

Post by Ozair » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:00 pm

I am in a similar situation,

The nurse who has seen my baby for the past year (baby is 13 months old) regularly every fortnight, said today that she wont sign the form as its not their policy. The receptionist at the surgery said she will ask the secretary of the doctor but it is not guaranteed and if it is possible there would be a fee involved.

However, i dont want to go to the GP as one of the recent topics in this forum suggest that the IPS london rejected doctor's signature saying they dont accept doctors as signatories.

What are my options?

noble72uk
- thin ice -

Post by noble72uk » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:58 pm

Ozair wrote:I am in a similar situation,

The nurse who has seen my baby for the past year (baby is 13 months old) regularly every fortnight, said today that she wont sign the form as its not their policy. The receptionist at the surgery said she will ask the secretary of the doctor but it is not guaranteed and if it is possible there would be a fee involved.

However, i dont want to go to the GP as one of the recent topics in this forum suggest that the IPS london rejected doctor's signature saying they dont accept doctors as signatories.

What are my options?

Please read here

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=95747

here's a list for passport countersignatory

Who you can ask to be your countersignatory
Your countersignatory should:
• have known you for at least two years
• live in the UK
Your countersignatory should not:
• be related to you by birth or marriage
• be in a personal relationship with you
• live at the same address as you
• work for the Identity and Passport Service
The occupation of your countersignatory will not determine whether or not your application will be successful. The issue of a passport relies on an applicant satisfying a number of criteria. Therefore, the list of occupations below is purely for guidance and not an exhaustive list of occupations. However, you should try to get a countersignatory who is a person of good standing in your local community. If you are not sure who to ask, call the IPS Passport Adviceline on 0300 222 0000.
• accountant
• airline pilot
• articled clerk of a limited company
• assurance agent of recognised company
• bank/building society official
• barrister
• chairman/director of limited company
• chiropodist
• commissioner of oaths
• councillor (local or county)
• civil servant (permanent), but not someone who works for IPS
• dentist
• director/manager of a VAT-registered charity
• director/manager/personnel officer of a VAT-registered company
• engineer (with professional qualifications)
• financial services intermediary (eg a stockbroker or insurance broker)
• fire service official
• funeral director
• insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company
• journalist
• Justice of the Peace
• legal secretary (fellow or associate member of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs)
• licensee of public house
• local government officer
• manager/personnel officer (of a limited company)
• member, associate or fellow of a professional body
• Member of Parliament
• Merchant Navy officer
• minister of a recognised religion (including Christian Science)
• nurse (RGN and RMN)
• officer of the armed services (active or retired)
• optician
• paralegal (certified paralegal, qualified paralegal or associate member of the Institute of Paralegals)
• person with honours (an OBE or MBE, for example)
• pharmacist
• photographer (professional)
• police officer
• Post Office official
• president/secretary of a recognised organisation
• Salvation Army officer
• social worker
• solicitor
• surveyor
• teacher, lecturer
• trade union officer
• travel agent (qualified)
• valuer or auctioneer (fellows and associate members of the incorporated society)
• Warrant Officers and Chief Petty Officers

Glc

Post by Glc » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:37 pm

Ozair, are you referring to your child's naturalisation application? If you have concerns finding a suitable referee for him/her then any professional person known to you may act as referee. Home Office is more lenient with mn1 applications, specially if it concerns very young children. We have done the same for our children and we had no problems with it.

Ozair

Post by Ozair » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:39 pm

Thanks noble72uk and Glc

I know a few people who are in the list of acceptable professions. The only thing is that they are part of a distant family like my wife's second cousin wife is a teacher and an aunt of mine is a doctor who knows my son personally.

The referees are for my son who is 13 months old, i was wondering if home office would consider them as related to the applicant?

According to the post by noble27uk, relation is by blood or marriage?

Glc

Post by Glc » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:43 pm

I suppose anyone applying for naturalisation will always opt to be on the safe side. Whilst I believe Home Office will not spend so much time tracing your child's relation with his referees, whether by blood or by virtue of parent's marriage, having another professional person not related to your child in any way is absolutely recommended. Don't you know any other suitable referee not related to you? Home office may be less strict in approving mn1 applications but rules are very specific. Personally, I won't challenge them.

Ozair

Post by Ozair » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:21 am

One referee should have known the child personally and have been their doctor, teacher, health visitor, social worker, or minister of religion. The other referee must be a holder of a British citizen passport. He/she must be either a professional person or over the age of 25. See the list of Acceptable professional persons. Each referee must not be related to the child, or to the other referee. He/she should not be acting as a solicitor or agent in connection with the application and should not be employed by the Home Office. Section 6 - consent to the application

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... ngtheform/

Glc

Post by Glc » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:45 am

As you have quoted yourself, "Each referee must not be related to the child, or to the other referee". You have further mentioned that the doctor you were referring to is your aunt and your other potential referee is a teacher who is a cousin of your wife. Aren't they related to your child as well, he/she being related to you? Your potential referees, in fact, are your child's aunt and grandmother. Nonetheless, it's still your decision. Im just re-stressing the facts.

ashvar123

Post by ashvar123 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:42 am

My son 16 months old goes to nursery - can I get it signed by a carer in the nursery - is that acceptable..?
Please advise
- Ashvar

Ozair

Post by Ozair » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:21 pm

I think with kids it does not matter that much. It is merely a formality that you have to get referees. Do the best you can and it should be fine.

ashvar123

Post by ashvar123 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:43 pm

Many Thanks for the information Ozair..
- Ashvar