ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

TV license

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Derivaz

TV license

Post by Derivaz » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:22 pm

Hi! Guys

I have a question about TV license: I'm currently staying in a shared flat, so I rent my own room and don't watch TV; the other day, we got a letter stating that if we watch TV, we need to purchase a license.

I've read that in shared accommodation each tenant is responsible for their own license, but since I don't watch TV, I don't need to purchase it and I'm not sure if other flatmates watch it, so since the letter doesn't come in my name and if they come to the flat to check, they can see that I don't watch TV, I shouldn't worry right? even if we got a letter saying that if we watch TV we need to purchase a license?

Regards

D

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:55 pm

This is relevant to citizenship because?

"You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder."
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

njoy1987
Member of Standing

Post by njoy1987 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:20 pm

D4109125 wrote:This is relevant to citizenship
Think he has confused it with "Good Citizenship" as he wants to stay on the right side of the law.. Well random tho made me lol

Derivaz

TV License - Good character

Post by Derivaz » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:02 am

HI Amber

I thought the TV license might be relevant to citizenship because of the Good Character section; if the HO check with the TV license department and say that my flat is unlicensed; the HO might think that I don't want to pay and therefore think that I'm not a person of good character; do you think they check if applicants pay for the TV license?

I don't watch any TV at all, so I was thinking if they come to check I'll just show them that I don't have a TV and that's fine, but they haven't come and if they tell the HO that they sent my flat a letter and I haven't replied or paid, do you think the HO might consider this as a reason not to approve my citizenship application?

I was thinking of calling them and telling them that I don't watch TV, but I'm concerned that they might put the bill for the whole flat in my name and then if some other tenant watches TV, they will issue a fine in my name; even though, I'm only responsible for my own room, as the rule for multiple occupancy says; so I just thought, I'll wait for them to come and then show/tell them that i dont watch TV and it will be fine, but they haven't come to check yet, so if the HO contacts them, they might just say that they sent a letter and I didn't pay yet; do you think the HO would refuse the application over that or it would actually have to get a fine to have my application rejected?

Regards

D

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:04 am

Hi Njoy

I was thinking about "good character"; I thought that if the HO contacts the TV license department and they tell them that they sent a letter and I haven't paid, the HO might think I'm not a person of good character due to that.

In reality, I don't have to pay, because I don't watch TV, but they haven't come to check yet, so if the HO contact them, they might just say that they have sent a letter and I haven't paid..

What do you think?

Regards

D

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:34 am

Unless you are convicted you don't need to worry.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:02 am

Thanks Amber, I can't be convicted, because for that to happen they would have to come to the flat and then, they would realise that I don't watch TV and I'm exempt, so it seems like I'm fine :)

Cheers

D

njoy1987
Member of Standing

Re: TV License - Good character

Post by njoy1987 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:03 pm

Derivaz wrote:Thanks Amber, I can't be convicted, because for that to happen they would have to come to the flat and then, they would realise that I don't watch TV and I'm exempt, so it seems like I'm fine :)

Cheers

D
Your laptop, computer and smartphone?

It's not just for Telly

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:57 pm

Yes, I know, but I don't watch it at all, laptop, phone or TV set; I just don't watch it, so even if they come and have a way to check, they can't prove that I watched TV, because I hasn't, so i can't be convicted; my concern was if they would reject it just if they were told that I hadn't paid the license, but if it's only in case I'm convicted, then I'm fine, because to convict me, they'd have to prove that I've watched TV and they can't prove something that hasn't happened.

Regards

D

shahid2000
Member of Standing

Post by shahid2000 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:10 pm

Derivaz wrote:Yes, I know, but I don't watch it at all, laptop, phone or TV set; I just don't watch it, so even if they come and have a way to check, they can't prove that I watched TV, because I hasn't, so i can't be convicted; my concern was if they would reject it just if they were told that I hadn't paid the license, but if it's only in case I'm convicted, then I'm fine, because to convict me, they'd have to prove that I've watched TV and they can't prove something that hasn't happened.

Regards

D
Every household has to have a TV license if someone in the house has a device that they can use to watch TV ...... saying from personal experience several years ago.
I dont think you will be convicted that easily but they can easily give you a penatly notice for not having a license.
You may not be watching any TV but that is not the point. The point is that you have device(s) inside the house which you can use to watch TV.

How are you going to prove you "dont" watch TV? Even blind people have to pay for the TV license although they do get some concession :-)

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:19 pm

but I've read that in a flatshare where each tenant pays for their bedroom separate, each tenant is responsible for his/her own license (this is my case); so according to this if I don't watch TV, but my flatmates do; I'm not liable for that, right?

Their website says that if you have a device but don't use it to watch live TV, for instance if you have a TV and use it for gaming, you don't have to pay for the license, isn't this correct?

Also, I have a laptop and phone, but no TV set; but I don't think I have to prove that I don't watch it; I think they have to prove that I watch it, which I don't, so they can't prove something that I don't do; I guess they have a way to check if people do, not sure how though.

Also, they can't give me a penalty notice, because they don't have my name; the letter was addressed to the current occupier; so in order to get my name they would have to come to the flat and check and then, they'd see that there is no TV and I can explain to them that I don't watch it and then they can check the rest of the flatmates.

cheers

D.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:52 pm

This hypothetical questioning is pointless, if you do not watch TV however it is streamed, then you should just forget it.

Derivaz

tv license - good character

Post by Derivaz » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:18 am

you are right, Amber; I probably worry too much

cheers

D

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:48 pm

Derivaz wrote:but I've read that in a flatshare where each tenant pays for their bedroom separate, each tenant is responsible for his/her own license (this is my case); so according to this if I don't watch TV, but my flatmates do; I'm not liable for that, right?

Their website says that if you have a device but don't use it to watch live TV, for instance if you have a TV and use it for gaming, you don't have to pay for the license, isn't this correct?

Also, I have a laptop and phone, but no TV set; but I don't think I have to prove that I don't watch it; I think they have to prove that I watch it, which I don't, so they can't prove something that I don't do; I guess they have a way to check if people do, not sure how though.

Also, they can't give me a penalty notice, because they don't have my name; the letter was addressed to the current occupier; so in order to get my name they would have to come to the flat and check and then, they'd see that there is no TV and I can explain to them that I don't watch it and then they can check the rest of the flatmates.

cheers

D.
If you do watch on your lap top then you will need a licence it will be easy to see that you do when you switch on your computer!! If you are watching illegally do something about it and pay. If not forget about it!
pennyless

QQA
Newly Registered

Post by QQA » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:39 pm

This is NOT issue. No worries at all.

But, personally I think you need to get license if you watch any videos on your smart phone (already downloaded or online) if you not actually watching TV.

One and half hundred pound (TV License Fee) wouldn't change your life and the penalty must negatively affect your life and your credit background.

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:00 pm

you are right pennyless in India; if you watch it on any device you have to buy a license; I don't, so I should be fine; I was just worried about my flatmates using it, but since we all have separate tenancy agreements for our rooms we are individually responsible for our own license, so it seems like Im fine :)

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:07 pm

Hi QQA,

No, it's not for any videos of online videos; it's for any TV programme if you watch it or record it as it is shown on TV and if you are a lodger with your own tenancy agreement, each lodger is responsible for their own license, so since I have my own tenancy agreement, I'm only responsible for my own license and since I don't watch TV, that means I don't have to buy a license; check this out: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-y ... gers-aud2/

navalaviator
Member of Standing

Post by navalaviator » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:31 am

But you still look at TV don't you?Because if you don't look at the tv then how do you know there is a TV in property :roll:

you have to have a TV licence as there is a TV on your property and even if you don't watch it you still look at your tv!!!!!!which means your looking at tv without a TV licence and breaking law!!!!!!

By the way do you have a licence for Kettle and Microwave as applying for naturalization without a licence for these two might cast a doubt on your character :roll:

you can get a licence for Kettle and Microwave from the post office just go to the main counter and ask for one. :wink: :roll:

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:48 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:31 am

QQA wrote:
But, personally I think you need to get license if you watch any videos on your smart phone (already downloaded or online) if you not actually watching TV.
Wrong. You only need a license if you watch (or record) programs as they being broadcast (live).

You can have a television in every room of your house, and if you use it (eg) just to watch dvd's or play video games etc, you do not need a license. Same is the case with mobiles and computers.

mealos

Re: TV license

Post by mealos » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:08 pm

Derivaz wrote:Hi! Guys

I have a question about TV license: I'm currently staying in a shared flat, so I rent my own room and don't watch TV; the other day, we got a letter stating that if we watch TV, we need to purchase a license.

I've read that in shared accommodation each tenant is responsible for their own license, but since I don't watch TV, I don't need to purchase it and I'm not sure if other flatmates watch it, so since the letter doesn't come in my name and if they come to the flat to check, they can see that I don't watch TV, I shouldn't worry right? even if we got a letter saying that if we watch TV we need to purchase a license?

Regards

D

And people think I am paranoid.... Wow... Worry over-load my friend, you need to chill :)

Derivaz

Re: TV license

Post by Derivaz » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:13 pm

Ayyubi72

You are right, my concern was if other lodgers in the flat use it; if it would be liable for that (i have my own tenancy agreement for my own room); but from the website it doesn't like i wouldn't be.

Mealos

I'm not worried; if I don't get it; it's not the end of the world; actually most EU people don't apply for citizenship, but I just thought, it would be nice since I've been here for ages; so I'm not worried, I just like to know where to stand, so I like to clarify the grey areas, that's all.

Cheers

D