ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Further guidance on new B1 English Requirement

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Amber
Mood:

Further guidance on new B1 English Requirement

Post by Amber » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:35 pm

From 28 October 2013, there will be two parts to the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KoLL) requirement, both of which must be met by all applicants for settlement and naturalisation unless the individual is exempt.

From this date applicants will be required to:

• pass the Life in the UK test

AND

• have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification.

Regarding degrees:
Degrees taught in English
Those who have obtained a degree taught in English will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification.
Those with an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) who provide appropriate evidence that the qualification was taught or researched in English are considered automatically to meet the English language component of the KoLL requirement and will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification. The qualification must be deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK. However, they will still be required to pass the Life in the UK test to demonstrate their knowledge of life in the UK.
See also, Does your degree meet the B1 requirement? (click)
Last edited by Amber on Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:39 pm

Acceptable Qualifications
Acceptable qualifications from 28 October 2013

We will accept a range of English language qualifications as evidence that an applicant has met the requirement to hold a B1 level speaking and listening qualification. This will help ensure that all those needing to take a test will be able to find one suitable for their needs and, so far as possible, that no one who already has an English language qualification at B1 level or above will be required to take another one.

The following qualifications will be accepted for settlement and naturalisation purposes:

• Qualifications covering speaking and listening at B1 or above from the Secure English Language Test (SELT) list in the Immigration Rules, Appendix O. The SELT list is available at: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... d-english- tests.pdf

• Qualifications in English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) at Entry level 3, Level 1 or Level 2, that include speaking and listening and that have been regulated by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual). The qualification must be listed as an ESOL qualification on the Ofqual Register of Regulated Qualifications and have been taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland. The Ofqual register is available at: http://register.ofqual.gov.uk/

• A National Qualification in ESOL at Scottish Qualifications Framework (SCQF) levels 4, 5 or 6 awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA).
Accredited colleges
Migrants will not be required to study for their qualification at any particular institution or follow any particular curriculum. The method of study that applicants undertake in order to reach the minimum B1 English level is up to them.
Last edited by Amber on Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:45 pm

Transitional arrangements for settlement applications

We recognise that the new KOLL requirement may be challenging for some. We will therefore allow the following categories of applicant to apply for further periods of limited leave (subject to continuing to meet the other relevant Immigration Rules in their category) to enable them to meet the requirement if they have not yet done so:

 partners, children or parents applying under Appendix FM or subject to transitional arrangements under Part 8;
 those here on the basis of long residence under paragraph 276A
 those here on the basis of private life under paragraph 276ADE;
 those here as dependants of HM forces personnel; and
 dependants of those who originally entered the UK as PBS migrants or work permit holders.

Additionally, we will introduce provisions to enable individuals who have been in the UK for 15 years with limited leave as a partner, child or parent (under Appendix FM or the transitional arrangements under Part 8 ), or as a dependant of HM Forces personnel, or as a dependant of a PBS migrant or work permit holder, to apply for settlement on the basis of an English language speaking and listening qualification at A2 CEFR and without passing the Life in the UK test. They will, however, need to produce evidence from a suitably qualified person, for example a teacher of English for Speakers of Other Languages, that it is not reasonable to expect them to reach B1 English.

We will consider whether a similar provision should be introduced for those here on the basis of long residence or private life.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:49 pm

The Life in the UK test

There will be no changes made to the Life in the UK test. The Life in the UK test is a computer- based, multiple choice test. It will continue to be available through the network of test centres operated by learndirect on behalf of the Home Office. There will be no change to the existing booking mechanisms and tests will continue to be booked online through the website: http://lifeintheuktest.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/.

Since 25 March 2013, the test has been based on the official handbook “Life in the United Kingdom: A Guide for New Residents”. It will continue to be possible to take the test in Welsh or Scottish Gaelic at centres in Wales and Scotland respectively.

Sahib

Post by Sahib » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:31 pm

Amber, Thanks for the nice info, it is very helpful.

gaboon_viper

Post by gaboon_viper » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:01 am

Thanks amber you are a star. MBA from huddersfield england exempted in naturalization from this B1 certificate i suppose? Cheers
Always here to help to best of my understanding

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:09 pm

Yes your MBA will satisfy the new B1 requirement. Just the degree certificate will be required.

kais

Post by kais » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:34 pm

D4109125 wrote:
The Life in the UK test

There will be no changes made to the Life in the UK test. The Life in the UK test is a computer- based, multiple choice test. It will continue to be available through the network of test centres operated by learndirect on behalf of the Home Office. There will be no change to the existing booking mechanisms and tests will continue to be booked online through the website: http://lifeintheuktest.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/.

Since 25 March 2013, the test has been based on the official handbook “Life in the United Kingdom: A Guide for New Residents”. It will continue to be possible to take the test in Welsh or Scottish Gaelic at centres in Wales and Scotland respectively.

Will that means following will still be effective:

Migrants who are on skilled workers e.g. Tier 2 (g) I assume will not have to prove English Language requirment again.

My situation is that When I first got Tier 2 (G) visa i sent UKBA the letter from ACCA saying that 2 stages are considered equivalent to Becholer Degree (and i had passed 2 stages that time and at the moment still same). UKBA accepted that letter (eventhough NOW they are saying they wont accept professional or vocational qualification).

So my concern is regarding two points:

I am still 2 stages passed ACCA (but UKBA accepted that as proof for english in the initial application)

Will UKBA reassess my English qualification for settlement purpose on the basis of 2 stages of ACCA passed or will ALREADY PROVED ENGLISH REQUIRMENT will work for me?

??????

gaboon_viper

Post by gaboon_viper » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:47 pm

D4109125 wrote:Yes your MBA will satisfy the new B1 requirement. Just the degree certificate will be required.
thx
Always here to help to best of my understanding

kais

Post by kais » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:39 pm

Will that means following will still be effective:

Migrants who are on skilled workers e.g. Tier 2 (g) I assume will not have to prove English Language requirment again.

My situation is that When I first got Tier 2 (G) visa i sent UKBA the letter from ACCA saying that 2 stages are considered equivalent to Becholer Degree (and i had passed 2 stages that time and at the moment still same). UKBA accepted that letter (eventhough NOW they are saying they wont accept professional or vocational qualification).

So my concern is regarding two points:

I am still 2 stages passed ACCA (but UKBA accepted that as proof for english in the initial application)

Will UKBA reassess my English qualification for settlement purpose on the basis of 2 stages of ACCA passed or will ALREADY PROVED ENGLISH REQUIRMENT will work for me?

??????[/quote]

Qouting above in my earlier post, I am still confused that

1- I am on Tier 2 (g) and UKBA accepted my ACCA 2 stages passed in English by ACCA letter for ENGLISH requirement at THAT TIME (when making initail application in March 2009).

2- A)Am i okay English requirement wise as they it says on UKBA website who ever on Skilled category only need to pass English test OR

B)Will I have to comply this B1 or B2 Level Test requirement in any case (because NARIK or UKBA may not consider it NOW because its vocational and not a bachelor degree)

Please comment

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:20 pm

this isn't complicated.

I rang HO about it.

If you have a degree taught in the UK and you have the Certificate, that will be sufficient.

and the other piece of document you require if LIUK test certificate.

kais

Post by kais » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:38 pm

innocentdevil wrote:this isn't complicated.

I rang HO about it.

If you have a degree taught in the UK and you have the Certificate, that will be sufficient.

and the other piece of document you require if LIUK test certificate.
Thanks for your reply and I really appreciate it.
Problem still persist though ,

which is Will ACCA 2 stages letter from ACCA meet this NEW English Requirement which UKBA accepted in the initial Application Time or they will Consider that in Today's B2 level or NARIK letter (which NARIK wont compare partly or fully vocational qualification). I am really confused & stuck. I know for sure if someone has degree which taught in English that will be sufficient but mine is not Degree and also its 2 stages of ACCA. :shock:

guptaabhi
Newly Registered

English at B1 CEFR

Post by guptaabhi » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:57 pm

Hello All,
My Naturalisation is due on 1st week of Nov based on (2 yrs HSMP+3 yrs Tier1+ 1 Yr ILR).

I have Masters in Computer Networks (MSc Mobile Computer Networks) from Leeds Met University (UK) passed 2006. I believe this suffice NEW English language requirement of B1 CEFR requirement?

I just wanted to know is my Master Certificate is sufficient enough or do I need some additional document to support it?

Many Thanks
Amitabh shah

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:04 pm

That should suffice. I assume you have LIUK.

applyforILR

Post by applyforILR » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:11 pm

Hi Amber,

I am on Tier 2 (ICT). I got english qualification points for my university in PBS system in both my applications, initial Tier 2 and then the extension application.

Do i still have to give ESOL test? Or is it fine that my non-uk university is listed in PBS system and that will take care of the English requirement?
There is 1 small variation as well. When i graduated, my institute was affiliated to a university currently listed in PBS. My degree certificate has the name of the same university. But this year only my institute has been declared as a University. Does that affect anything??

I dont want to get my degree certified from NAIC as it would take a lot of effort to get the transcripts from my university.

Thanks in advance.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:14 pm

The recent changes to the immigration rules would suggest so, though, for naturalization it has not been confirmed yet, to my knowledge.

guptaabhi
Newly Registered

Post by guptaabhi » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:53 pm

Thank u Amber, Yes i have life in uk which was done during ILR last year

msvayani

Post by msvayani » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:09 am

Accredited colleges
Migrants will not be required to study for their qualification at any particular institution or follow any particular curriculum. The method of study that applicants undertake in order to reach the minimum B1 English level is up to them.
What r other methods to achieve B1 Level and who will assess if applicant doesn't join any institute. I think HO needs proof in the form of certificate?

Regards
MSV

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:15 am

whitequeen

Post by whitequeen » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:03 pm

I have a question regarding the new requirement for knowledge of the language.

On this document.. http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk

It states the paragraph below on page 3.
If you already have a qualification at B1 level
Applicants who already have an English language qualification at B1 level or above will not be required to take another one. For example, someone who demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level when applying for entry clearance will not be required to take a further test in order to qualify settlement.
I just want a clarification regarding this. When I applied for my fiancee visa, my IELTS result is equivalent to C1 level, which is obviously above B1. But by the time I'll apply for ILR, the test certificate will already be expired. Will it still be acceptable based on the paragraph quoted above?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:04 pm

whitequeen If it is expired I don't think it is of use as you met an A1 English requirement not B1 for entry clearance as a spouse. However, do you have a degree taught in English?

s_anda
Newly Registered

Post by s_anda » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:18 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a Cambridge Certificate in Advance English (Level C1) , dated March 2006, but I only have the Certificate and Statment of results. I don't have the Candidate ID number, Candidate secret number or Statement of Entry, mentioned on their list:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -tests.pdf

Is it going to be enough if I just send the Certificate and Statement of results to prove that I meet the language requirements?

Do any of you have a HO phone no. I could call and ask about it?

Thanks!

ujjwal.barman
Newly Registered

About english language test

Post by ujjwal.barman » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:08 am

My question is regarding qualification for ILR.
I got my Tier 1 stamped in 2010 and extended in 2012. Both the time , points calculator showed by university. So do i need to again give a UK-NARIC comparison and B1 test during ILR?
For my wife , her university is also listed in the UK Border agency website but since she is on dependent she never did points calculation. Please help to clear what documents she need to submit during ILR for english language assessment and qualification comparison

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:15 am

You should be ok. Your spouse should submit a NARIC statement of comparability and proof the degree was taught in English - certificate/letter from institution stating medium of instruction, in addition to LIUK.

ujjwal.barman
Newly Registered

Post by ujjwal.barman » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:22 am

Just to correct my understanding, if my wife can get "certificate/letter from institution stating medium of instruction as English" then B1 is not required. Correct me if i am wrong

And for myself do you mean just the Degree certificate and Points calculation is enough ?