ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IELTS and English Tests from 29th November

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

minty

IELTS and English Tests from 29th November

Post by minty » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:12 pm

I thought i would share with you some information i have recieved from the UKBA

My Fiance recently took the Ielts test in Pakistan. I was not sure as to what score would be required as A1 pass does not correlate to a score on the BHC website.

My wifes overall score was as below

Speaking 5.5
Writing 4.5
Listening 2
reading 2

overall band 3.5

The UKBA replied accepting that as a valid band as per below.

My email

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 10:56 AM
Subject: RE: Question
To: Public Visa Enqs

Based on my fiances ielts test score below, i assume she does not need
to retake the ielts test and has acheived the required A1 cefr level
that comes into place on Nov 29th for settlement visas.

Please can you confirm this is correct?

Her score is below.
Speaking 5.5
Listening 2.0
Writing 4.5
Reading 2.0
Overall band = 3.5

UKBA reply

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 17/11/2010 10:51:33 am
Subject: RE: Question

Thank you for the follow on message

Provided that her English language test was taken with a local UK Border
Agency approved test provider, your spouse may submit the IELTS
certificate as evidence of her test score. I do not have access to a
list of approved Pakistan English test providers. She should therefore
contact our visa application centre locally for confirmation of the test
provider's status.

Sent by:

Public Enquiries [J],Customer Services,

Visa Services Directorate, International Group,

UK Border Agency, c/o Lunar House,

40 Wellesley Road, Croydon CR9 2BY

Web-site: www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopes that helps any ppl who are planning to appear in IELTS for a settlement Visa from the 29th November.

Note these tests are only need to be taken if you are

1. Applying for a settlement visa ( handing in you aplication form documents and fees) on or after 29th Novemeber.

2. Applying for ILR after your 2 years settlement visa has expired

geriatrix

Re: IELTS and English Tests from 29th November

Post by geriatrix » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:50 pm

minty wrote: I was not sure as to what score would be required as A1 pass does not correlate to a score on the BHC website.
The comparison map of IELTS test scores against CEFR levels is available on IELTS website. IELTS doesn't map its score against A1 and A2 level of CEFR. But, having looked at the chart, it seems to be that your fiance(e) can be considered to have passed at CEFR A2 level. But that's just my opinion!
minty wrote:2. Applying for ILR after your 2 years settlement visa has expired
1. One cannot apply for ILR after expiry of settlement visa.
2. One does not need to take this new English language test when applying for ILR (settlement).
3. If one is not eligible for settlement before expiry of current settlement visa, then one must apply for leave to remain (extension of stay) using FLR(M). If such an application (for extension) is (to be) submitted on / after 29-Nov-10 then the applicant will need to provide evidence of passing this new English language test.

regards

minty

Post by minty » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:38 pm

Thankyou for the clarification

The English test will not apply to partners on settlement visas in the UK who wish to apply for ILR on or after the 29th Novemeber,

The English test will apply to partners on settlement visas in the UK if these partners are not legible for ILR and are applying for FLR on or after the 29th Novemeber

VisaAhmad10
Newly Registered

Post by VisaAhmad10 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:51 pm

Hi,

How much did the test cost and where in Pakistan was the test carried out?

What kind of level is A1?

I can't find any information about the list of approved English test providers in Pakistan, the link on the uk borders agency website doesn't seem to work.

Thanks

minty

Post by minty » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:09 pm

The test costs 12000 rupees = approx 90 UK pounds

The brittish High commision carry out the tests in several cities in pakistan

A list of the test centres any where in the world and information can be found on www.ielts.org.

The pakistani locations are below

Pakistan
Faisalabad
British Council Faisalabad - Test Venue
Next Test Date: 20-Nov-2010
More Information

Pakistan
Hyderabad
British Council Hyderabad - Test Venue
More Information

Pakistan
Islamabad
AEO Islamabad - Test Centre
More Information

Pakistan
Islamabad
British Council Islamabad - Test Centre
Next Test Date: 27-Nov-2010
More Information

Pakistan
Karachi
AEO Karachi - Test Centre
More Information

Pakistan
Karachi
British Council Karachi - Test Centre
More Information

Pakistan
Lahore
AEO Lahore - Test Centre
More Information

Pakistan
Lahore
British Council Lahore - Test Centre
More Information

Pakistan
Multan
British Council Multan - Test Venue
Next Test Date: 04-Dec-2010
More Information

Yas2010

Post by Yas2010 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:39 pm

Do u hav 2 do this test if you apply before the 29th Nov

minty

Post by minty » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:41 pm

Yas2010 wrote:Do u hav 2 do this test if you apply before the 29th Nov
No you do not need to

This is for all applicants applying for settlement visas on or after 29th Movember.

sefftonkani
Newly Registered

New English test for partners ...

Post by sefftonkani » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:11 pm

I am a British citizen and my wife would like to apply for a visa to come and join me in the UK from Pakistan.

I have been told that she will have to pass an A1 English test before she applies for a visa.

Please can someone advise me:

1: The exact name, address and contact details of the best place this test can be taken in Islamabad and how to book this test?

2: Is this test speaking and listening only OR reading and writing as well?

3: What marks have to be achieved to pass?

4: My wife speaks some basic english and has a BSc in maths, how much tuition will she need to pass this test ?

Any advice is welcome

thanks

seffton

Study786
BANNED

Post by Study786 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:56 pm

i am confused now as minty stated the test is IELTS and includes reading writing aswell. but ukba site says as follows

In the test, you will need to demonstrate a basic command of English (speaking and listening) at level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference. This is a basic level, which is judged to require 40 to 50 hours' tuition for most learners. Someone assessed at level A1 can understand and use simple, everyday expressions and very basic phrases.

altmore
Newly Registered

IELTS

Post by altmore » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:47 pm

Dear Brother,
Could you please tell me if your wife took IELTS acedamic test or GT, as there are two tests and i am confused

minty

Post by minty » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:48 pm

The GT is sufficient.

The accademic is more for student and study visas, however both are acceptable

VisaAhmad10
Newly Registered

Post by VisaAhmad10 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:56 pm

Is the IELTS test the correct test for visa settlement applicants to the UK?

On the uk borders agency, it says

"In the test, you will need to demonstrate a basic command of English (speaking and listening) at level A1 of the cefr"

and also

"You will not need to demonstrate your reading and writing skills."

so is taking the IELTS test the correct one? because that contains reading,writing,speaking and listening?

Thanks

Louby Lou
Newly Registered

Post by Louby Lou » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:04 pm

Hi,
There is no way to take only the Speaking and Listening part of any of the tests, and unfortunately there does not seem to be a clear answer as to how the information on grades will be interpreted.
This may seem self-evident to many but thought I would share a recent discovery. The British Council do IELTS which is quite academic, but they also do the Key English Test and the Preliminary English Test which are much more basic. They both include reading and writing but seem more straightforward and are also cheaper than TOEFL/IELTS etc.
As I say this may seem obvious, but without a prior working knowledge of all the English Tests which are listed on the UKBA pdf it took us a long time to get to this stage...
I hope this helps.

VisaAhmad10
Newly Registered

Post by VisaAhmad10 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:46 pm

On the british council pakistan website, it doesn't mention the Key English Test, just the IELTS one.

Do you know where the information for the Key English Test is? Thanks

Louby Lou
Newly Registered

Post by Louby Lou » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:41 am

Hi VisaAhmad,

You are right it's not on the British Council Pakistan website. My experience is with Cairo. However it is an ESOL exam and if you look on the UKBA pdf there is a link to Cambridge ESOL centres. It says that there is one provider in Islamabad. A business/management school I think.
Hope this helps.

haly4mozi

Re: New English test for partners ...

Post by haly4mozi » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:39 pm

sefftonkani wrote:I am a British citizen and my wife would like to apply for a visa to come and join me in the UK from Pakistan.

I have been told that she will have to pass an A1 English test before she applies for a visa.

1: The exact name, address and contact details of the best place this test can be taken in Islamabad and how to book this test?

4: My wife speaks some basic english and has a BSc in maths, how much tuition will she need to pass this test ?

Any advice is welcome

thanks

seffton
Hi bro i hope u dont mind me asking but i just wanted to ask if you have applied for ur wife's visa yet. did she get it? and what was her ielts result? Thx 4 the reply in advance :)

haly4mozi

Re: New English test for partners ...

Post by haly4mozi » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:59 pm

sefftonkani wrote:I am a British citizen and my wife would like to apply for a visa to come and join me in the UK from Pakistan.

Any advice is welcome

thanks

seffton
Hi bro i hope u dont mind me asking but i just wanted to ask if you have applied for ur wife's visa yet. did she get it? and what was her ielts result? Thx 4 the reply in advance :)

XnailaX
- thin ice -

Post by XnailaX » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:12 pm

sis that post was a year ago lol..

haly4mozi

Post by haly4mozi » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:17 pm

XnailaX wrote:sis that post was a year ago lol..
haha lol yh i just wanted 2 know coz i want my hubby to come ASAAAP and i will be quite confident after knowing peoples results.... well i'l stil wait for his reply n by the way sis what did ur hubby get? PM it if you want :) thx

flyguy

Post by flyguy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:49 am

She hasnt passed the listening element of ILETS, with a band 2.0, ilets measures from level B1 which is a band 4.0

May result in a refusal

flyguy

Post by flyguy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:17 pm

The minimum standard applicants will need to meet is in speaking and listening at level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference.

The list of approved tests and providers includes some tests above A1 level. This is because the UK Border Agency will also accept tests in speaking and listening, or speaking and listening with additional skills such as reading or writing, taken at a higher level with an approved test provider.

This is to give people as wide a choice as possible and to provide for those who have already taken a test at a higher level with one of the current approved test providers. It also allows for people who wish to take a higher-level test for work or study reasons.

harv

Post by harv » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:41 am

Hi flyguy

If you partner is having issues with IELTS (because it is makred at slightly higher level then required by the UKBA). Why not try the TOIEC or TOEFL tests, marking for these tests have a much lower starting position and hopefully these should also be available widely in many countries to take.

You can see the level rquired in terms of grading/marking for these exams from the UKBA approved tests PDF and aim for the scores. these should be a lot easier then what IELTS is asking for.

Hope the above information is useful.

PS - make sure that the test centers are approved and official!
Feb 2012 - Spouse Visa - New Delhi
Mar 2012 - Documents collected - VISA Granted
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Apr 2015 - Applied for Naturalisation
Nov 2015 - Naturalised