ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR - Cohabitation documents

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ilrapp2012

ILR - Cohabitation documents

Post by ilrapp2012 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:57 pm

Dear Seniors,

I have read the guidance document for cohabitations, and they need 6 documents and each of them from 3 different sources. Can someone please guide me if these documents are ok? Morever, at this moment i am just trying to do every possible steps to get our ILR application successful when we have to file our application (nov 2012).

1. Tenancy agreement:- The property that i am renting although is on my and my wife's name, but all of our bills are included. That is why, we do not have any other evidences here.

2. We both have a joint account together. Although i have a different bank account where my salary gets credited. Would it be sufficient?

3. She has purchased a sim only contract from t-mobile. and bills are coming on her name.

4. Her GP details are on the same address, but the medical card was issued long time before and since then we have moved the address. But my GP is saying we cannot issue another Medical card for you?

Please if someone can guide me?

Do i have to take a separate BT Line? Although we do not need any BT line at the moment, but just for the sake of proof and i can add her name in there?

Please if senior members can guide. MAny thanks once again

ilrapp2012

Post by ilrapp2012 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:24 am

Please if any senior member can reply?. Many thanks

jems
Newly Registered

Post by jems » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:04 pm

Hi, i'm not a senior member however my husband applied and was successful this week. We included our tenancy agreement, some joint account statements, some council tax bills, water bills spanning the 2 years all in joint names. We also included the letter my husband received when he got his national insurance card and when he opened his bank account, and a letter about my pension scheme from work as these were letters dating right from the start before we had any joint letters. It tells you on set(m) at the back what letters are acceptable, they don't have to be in joint names, as long as you can show a letter for each of you at the same time. We handed in around 18 letters for them to choose from to be safe. The lady at UKBA just selected 6 from them. Anyway I hope that helps a bit.

ilrapp2012

Post by ilrapp2012 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:14 pm

Thanks for replying. The point here which is making me worried, we do not have any bills on our name as the property we are renting includes all bills. Now, i am trying to see what documents i can arrange.

As i told i have a bank account where my salary gets credited but that is not on joint names, and the other account i have opened is a joint account. I just transfer some money regularly on that account so that my wife can do shopping/grocery etc. Being an houswife, she does not work, so no other letters we have except GP.

In this case, do i need to have this BT phone line connected? This is kind of extra cost that i need to bear, in reality i do not need a BT line. So please if someone can suggest, are these evidences sufficient?

Many thanks

eager2learn

Post by eager2learn » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:51 pm

jems wrote:Hi, i'm not a senior member however my husband applied and was successful this week. We included our tenancy agreement, some joint account statements, some council tax bills, water bills spanning the 2 years all in joint names. We also included the letter my husband received when he got his national insurance card and when he opened his bank account, and a letter about my pension scheme from work as these were letters dating right from the start before we had any joint letters. It tells you on set(m) at the back what letters are acceptable, they don't have to be in joint names, as long as you can show a letter for each of you at the same time. We handed in around 18 letters for them to choose from to be safe. The lady at UKBA just selected 6 from them. Anyway I hope that helps a bit.
so we need 6 letters from 3 categories at the least. Do we need 6 letter for husband and 6 for wife, or both together?

jems
Newly Registered

Post by jems » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:55 pm

Did your wife get a national insurance card and any correspondance from them? Check the set(m) form, hospital/docs letters are OK, does she have any of those? It tells you on page 15 of the form. Telephone bills would be ok, does she have a mobile, and any letter from mobile company? A BT bill would be fine but you may find you don't need to go to such extreme if you don't really need the BT line. Like I said page 15 on the form gives you many examples that are acceptable, have a look at that, things like letters from DVLA and TV licence are all ok. Hope this helps some more.

ilrapp2012

Post by ilrapp2012 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:08 pm

thanks very much for your reply.
Let me tell you few things more to explain my case more clearly.

I had HSMP and then Tier1. I applied for my wife(dependent)'s visa since April 2008. Now, you can see she has been living with me for long time, In between she paid 2 visits back home for 5-6 months. That was in Dec 2008 - Mar 2008. Then March 2009- Aug 2009. But since then, she has been here. We were living in a previous accomdoation, where i had water bills on her name, but then i left that property and now living in another property from Oct 2010. Keeping the fact that she can apply with me for ILR as long as she lives with me the whole 2 years, i have started collecting all the evidences that i can proof.

I applied long time back in April 2008 for her NI, and got her NI after that, but that was on old address. Shall i contact HMRC and asked them to send a letter? but my wife does not work.?

So, If i do not want to open a BT line as i do not need it. But due to lack of evidences, what other options i have. Thanks very much.

1. Yes, she got one T-mobile contract now. and bills are on her name.
2. We got HSBC statement which is a joint account, though it is not the account where my salary gets credited
3. We got tenancy agreement on our name.

jems
Newly Registered

Post by jems » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:14 pm

Hi again, we just had straight forward set(m) after my husband had been here 2 years. I think you need a more senior member to help advise? Can anyone help clarify?

ferrarilondon
Member of Standing

Post by ferrarilondon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:21 pm

Hi Jems,

Can you please post your experience, that will be much appreciated

jems
Newly Registered

Post by jems » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:26 pm

eager2learn - I was a bit unclear as to the 6 letter thing. We handed in 18 letters, mostly joint, around 12, and some in mine or his name - mainly just letters when my husband first arrived which weren't in joint names. Anyway the lady who dealt with our case just took a few of those. It looks like she took 1 in just my name and 1 in just my husbands name (from the first month he was here) and then 5 in joint names across the rest of the 2 years. I think best take a range of different letters. But someone else may be able to clarify this for you? I just took too much with the idea its better for them to have too much than too little!

ilrapp2012

Post by ilrapp2012 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:39 pm

Thanks anyways. Any senior members if please can response.

Many thanks

ilrapp2012

Post by ilrapp2012 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:07 pm

On the guidance note, if you see, it is mentioned 6 documents from 3 different sources. On page 15, they have mentioned

telephone bills or statements

1. Does the T-Mobile billing/montly statements count as valid telephone bills. Please if someone can clarify? That will help me to avoid getting a BT line solely for this purpose.

Many thanks.

silversurfer

Post by silversurfer » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:34 pm

Sorry!
I am not not trying to hijack the thread but the question seems relevant in context of the discussion.

Is the proof of wife and husband residing together required in all ILR cases or only when wife has not spent 5 years in UK as dependent to husband.

My wife has been on dependent Visa and we entered UK on the same date.
Can I simply include her on the ILR application or will I need to produce proof of her address?

jimmymcad
Member of Standing

Post by jimmymcad » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:12 am

Interesting, my case is smilary to yours. Let see if any senior can reply.

eager2learn

Post by eager2learn » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:28 am

jems wrote:eager2learn - I was a bit unclear as to the 6 letter thing. We handed in 18 letters, mostly joint, around 12, and some in mine or his name - mainly just letters when my husband first arrived which weren't in joint names. Anyway the lady who dealt with our case just took a few of those. It looks like she took 1 in just my name and 1 in just my husbands name (from the first month he was here) and then 5 in joint names across the rest of the 2 years. I think best take a range of different letters. But someone else may be able to clarify this for you? I just took too much with the idea its better for them to have too much than too little!
if you have 12 in joint names i guess thats way more than required. In my case I have only 3 in joint names, rental contracts, council tax bill, joint bank ac statement. Does the birth cert of our new born child count as evidence as that have both our names on it?

I have lot others in single names in mine and for my wife. From what u wrote, it seems like 1 in joint name is equivalent to 1 in husb name+1 in wife name?

jems
Newly Registered

Post by jems » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:34 pm

yeah thats how i read it, but i'm no expert i'm afraid. Basically for the first few months my husband was in UK we didn't have joint letters so I picked 1 for him dated Jan09 for example and one for me in same month and took that to be 1 out of the 6 required. They seemed happy with that. But like i said i'm no expert, this is based on personal experience only