ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I study in UK with PSW visa

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

eydey
Newly Registered

Can I study in UK with PSW visa

Post by eydey » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:12 pm

Hi,

I just got my PSW visa after obtaining my degree in UK.

Looking for a job but if I don't find one, will apply for a masters. Can study with the PSW visa or do I have to change status ? If I do change status, then would that mean that my PSW will be canceled ?

Thanks

geriatrix

Re: Can I study in UK with PSW visa

Post by geriatrix » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:30 pm

eydey wrote:If I do change status, then would that mean that my PSW will be canceled ?
Yes.

regards

fibreman

Re: Can I study in UK with PSW visa

Post by fibreman » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:06 pm

eydey wrote:Hi,

I just got my PSW visa after obtaining my degree in UK.

Looking for a job but if I don't find one, will apply for a masters. Can study with the PSW visa or do I have to change status ? If I do change status, then would that mean that my PSW will be canceled ?

Thanks
Ok, just my 2 cents... if you can't find a job, what makes you think you'll get one with masters?

I know people with bachelors, who faced Phds on iviews, and got the job. You would be going into additional expenditure, for uncertain results. Unless you come from a bad uni, or need to fix the grades, I'm not sure it's the best way to go.

If you satisfy minimum reqs, and have a good cv, you get the iview... then it's about you.

eydey
Newly Registered

Post by eydey » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:12 pm

You are right, but if can't get a job after a year then rather do masters then be iddle... and maybe do a Phd so that I extend my stay in UK and can apply for 10 yrs ILR.

I have PSW now, don't know how laws for work permit will change in future...

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:17 pm

eydey wrote:You are right, but if can't get a job after a year then rather do masters then be iddle... and maybe do a Phd so that I extend my stay in UK and can apply for 10 yrs ILR.

I have PSW now, don't know how laws for work permit will change in future...
OK, I see your point there... you want to extend your time of stay to get enough for ILR... then you are right.

However, I would try to use the spare time to work on my skills and practice interviews and you will get a job eventually.

eydey
Newly Registered

Post by eydey » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:36 pm

Ya, so spend 2 yrs looking jor a job or working, then do a masters if can't renew work permit...

I had another question, wanted to know if I broke the continuous residency requirement for 10 yrs ILR...

I left UK JUL-2010 with student visa (expired SEP-2010) and came back to UK OCT-2010 with visit visa, back home OCT-2010 then back to UK FEB-2011 with PSW visa (valid from FEB-2011).... do I breach the continuous residency ?

cwhnt11

Post by cwhnt11 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:48 pm

it might be better to mention here, the time you spend in UK neither under student visa nor the PSW counts as "stay" in the UK to be eligible for ILR.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:26 pm

All legal leave may be included under long residence.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

cwhnt11

Post by cwhnt11 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:02 pm

ohh sorry you are talking about 10 years continues residency for ILR.. So sorry.