ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How about Scotland Fresh Talent, can it return?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

xleft
- thin ice -

How about Scotland Fresh Talent, can it return?

Post by xleft » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:17 am

Hi

Before Post-Study, there was Scotland Fresh Talent visa. Any chances it might return next year after post study cancelation? Big chances or small? Cheers!

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:48 am

do you want us to speculate and in the process spike the unfounded rumours?

the reasons behing psw abolishment was so that govt can control immigration. hows that gonna help if they start SIMILAR scheme! right after they have abolished one

ginger_beer

Post by ginger_beer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:44 pm

the scottish government might be pro-immigration, but Home Office is not ..

i'm studying in Glasgow btw :D

xleft
- thin ice -

Post by xleft » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:10 pm

arsenal49 wrote:do you want us to speculate and in the process spike the unfounded rumours?

the reasons behing psw abolishment was so that govt can control immigration. hows that gonna help if they start SIMILAR scheme! right after they have abolished one
Hahaha, nice comment, I think so too but kinda hoped Scottish Parliament would do something, but doubt they will have balls now at this moment, Theresa May is too strict lady...

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Re: How about Scotland Fresh Talent, can it return?

Post by Tier 4 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:22 pm

xleft wrote:Hi

Before Post-Study, there was Scotland Fresh Talent visa. Any chances it might return next year after post study cancelation? Big chances or small? Cheers!
I put lots efforts on the restoration of fresh talent Scotland ever since they started consultation on student visa, even I got a very encouraging letter from Scottish government by this assurance if PSW will scraped they will call similar scheme in Scotland. Now I tried to contact them again as reminder that its time for action. But as you know Scottish parliament has been dissolved so :cry:
N/A

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:07 pm

Let me remind my friend's that immigration is not devolved so westminister will have the final say on immigration, full stop!!

ginger_beer

Post by ginger_beer » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:49 pm

Tier 4 wrote:

I put lots efforts on the restoration of fresh talent Scotland ever since they started consultation on student visa, even I got a very encouraging letter from Scottish government by this assurance if PSW will scraped they will call similar scheme in Scotland. Now I tried to contact them again as reminder that its time for action. But as you know Scottish parliament has been dissolved so :cry:
tier 4, i assume that you're in scotland too ? could you show us the letter you mentioned ?

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:35 pm

ginger_beer wrote:
tier 4, i assume that you're in scotland too ? could you show us the letter you mentioned ?
yes i am in Scotland too, you can see it here
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=10 ... &aid=25224
N/A

ginger_beer

Post by ginger_beer » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:56 pm

Tier 4 wrote:
ginger_beer wrote:
yes i am in Scotland too, you can see it here
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=10 ... &aid=25224
thanks, very informative .. but i think aryan is right, unless immigration is devolved, there's not much chance for Fresh Talent scheme to return.

After all, what's to stop people from coming on the Fresh Talent then making a run to England once they've gotten it ? :P

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:24 pm

ginger_beer wrote:
After all, what's to stop people from coming on the Fresh Talent then making a run to England once they've gotten it ? :P
No I don’t think so; I completely disagree on this.

It’s very logical if you spend some of your time in one particular area you don’t really feel like to hang around the country at all. I got many friends Graduated from Stirling University they didn’t even bother to move from Stirling let alone England where unemployment and population is already on its peak.
N/A

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:53 pm

I think no chance at all... until next govt comes, then there may be another scheme uk wide again. A shame...

ginger_beer

Post by ginger_beer » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:14 pm

i think that there might be a chance still .. because Fresh Talent existed before even Tier 4 PSW were created. There's a recent publication by the Scottish Affairs Committee on the subject of psw and student visa. It's very long so I didn't read .. but generally the general tone is supportive of FT/PSW.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... ntents.htm

Whether this consultation is actually making any impact to Westminster is a different thing altogether though .. :D

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:44 pm

most of the consultation done before April 2011 was ALSO supportive of keeping psw forever... but look what will happen to psw beyond April 2012!!??

ginger_beer

Post by ginger_beer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:54 am

yes .. the consultations are all for nothing .. :(

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:33 pm

ginger_beer wrote:yes .. the consultations are all for nothing .. :(
Which simply means, no way... all Uk foreign students are messed up now.

xleft
- thin ice -

Post by xleft » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:28 am

ginger_beer wrote:i think that there might be a chance still .. because Fresh Talent existed before even Tier 4 PSW were created.

I absolutely agree. I think it's about 30% chance.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:29 am

I receive an email by Scottish Government regarding restoring Fresh Talent Scotland, thought to share it here.

Dear Mr -----

Thank you for your email of 25 March regarding the UK Government's recent changes to the student immigration system.

The Scottish Government shares your concerns and believes the closing of the Tier 1 Post-Study Work (PSW) Visa route will have potentially negative consequences for Scotland's universities and colleges, as well as our wider economy.

As is set out in our Economic Strategy, Scotland has an explicit population target to address our projected trends towards an aging and declining working population. The UK Government’s proposals to close the PSW is likely to have a potentially negative effect on achieving this target and on achieving sustainable economic growth for Scotland. That is why the Scottish Government opposed these proposals and called on the UK Government to retain Post Study Work.

In addition, the Scottish Government has called on UK Ministers to implement a scheme similar to the previous Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme. The proposed Fresh Talent Scotland Visa would operate in a similar manner to the current PSW arrangements, and would allow students from any UK institution to take up skilled work in Scotland for 2 years post graduation.

The Minister for Culture and External Affairs, Fiona Hyslop met with UK immigration Minister Damian Green on 14 March to discuss this proposal as well as the UK Government's overall approach to immigration. At this meeting Damian Green committed to consider our proposal for the introduction of a Fresh Talent Scotland Visa. We are currently awaiting the UK Government's response.

Scotland will always welcome talented people who wish to come here to live, learn, work and remain, and we will continue our efforts to press the UK Government to introduce flexibilities for Scotland within the immigration system that will allow us to do so.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Yours sincerely
Jacqui Jarron

Jacqui Jarron
Fresh Talent Policy Team | International Division | Directorate for International and Constitution | Scottish Government | 2-H (dockside) Victoria Quay, Edinburgh EH6 6QQ
|+44(0)131 244 5021 |
email: jacquelynn.jarron@scotland.gsi.gov.uk
N/A

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:30 am

Though I know the chances are slim yet it’s worth a try to push you University / College, especially in up-coming 5th May 2011 Scottish Parliament general election.

Those who live in Scotland can cast their votes to pro-foreign students / pro-immigrants parties. All the common wealth international students are eligible for vote. Check out your Local council web site “how to register for voteâ€
N/A

ginger_beer

Post by ginger_beer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:46 pm

The proposed Fresh Talent Scotland Visa would operate in a similar manner to the current PSW arrangements, and would allow students from any UK institution to take up skilled work in Scotland for 2 years post graduation.
If the Fresh Talent Scotland Visa is implemented then upon graduation, any student from both England and Scotland could come to work in Scotland ?? I'm surprised that they don't limit it to Scotland graduates only ..
We are currently awaiting the UK Government's response.
It's good to know that at least the Scottish government is behind this. Let's await any further development.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:19 pm

ginger_beer wrote:If the Fresh Talent Scotland Visa is implemented then upon graduation, any student from both England and Scotland could come to work in Scotland ?? I'm surprised that they don't limit it to Scotland graduates only ..
Fresh talent was actually the base of PSW and introduced in 2004. It was valid only for those who gained Degrees only from Scottish institutions and have to work only in Scotland, not in England, Wales or Northern Ireland. If a person caught working apart from Scotland means he was working illegally.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc ... 064664.pdf

But to be honest I don’t think UK Government and hostility of English Universities will let Scottish Government do that. The only possibility if in 5th May 2011 election current Government wiped out completely then might Scottish Government can have a chance to argue about it.
N/A

aviator1903
Newly Registered

@ Tier 4 ....Wts the Recent Status

Post by aviator1903 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:00 am

My Friend do you know exactly what is the recent status of proposed scheme in Scotland, as elections are passed and we have New Govt in place. Thanks

ginger_beer

Post by ginger_beer » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:47 am

it's not good

http://www.workpermit.com/news/2011-06- ... grants.htm

don't expect anything, just forget about it ..