ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

General discussion after BC and Passport application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: wife applying british citizenship

Post by Jambo » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:42 pm

syedyasir4 wrote:can my wife apply british citizenship through AN form . here is the situation:
came to uk as dependent visa tier1 on dec2009.
granted ILR on FEb 2012.
husband granted citizenship certificate in april2013.
in total she has been here for more then 3 years and now im a british citizen can she apply under 3yr rule or she has to wait 5 year in total?
what exactly the rule says? someboday told me that she could have applied BC when i applied for my nationality in march 2013. but i thought she can't apply apply because i wasnt british then
Yes. She can apply now (with your naturalisation certificate or British passport).
You are right that according to the rules, she could not have applied before you became British.

syedyasir4
Newly Registered

Post by syedyasir4 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:13 pm

Thanks jambo for the reply. Before applying do i need to register my marriage here as well? I got married in pakistan July 2009.

Many thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:04 pm

syedyasir4 wrote:Thanks jambo for the reply. Before applying do i need to register my marriage here as well? I got married in pakistan July 2009.

Many thanks
No need to register.

Just use the marriage certificate the same way you used it in the past for the visas.

syedyasir4
Newly Registered

Post by syedyasir4 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:33 pm

Thanks. Really usefull information.

haider2026
Newly Registered

British Citizenship 5 year qualification PBS route

Post by haider2026 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:58 pm

I urgently need help with two important questions. 5 year qualifying period and naturalisation for one of my daughters who was born in UK.

Please refer to my situation and advise:

- I got my HSMP visa on 15th June 2007
- First entered UK on 30th August 2007
- Family arrived on 23rd September 2007
- Got my and family Tier 1 (3 years) on 15th June 2009
- Received mine and family ILR on 8th June 2012

(One of my daughter's was born in UK on 10th March 2010 while i was on Tier 1 visa. Soon after her birth i got Tier 1 dependant status for her and she is currently on ILR)

As per above can i apply for UK Naturalisation for self and family on 9th June 2013 or will i have to wait till 30th August 2013? and will i have to apply for my UK born daughter for UK naturalisation or directly for UK passport?

NOTE: On 9th June 2013 i would have been living in UK for 5 years 9 months and 8 days (including 1 year and 1 day on ILR)

Thanks

Ibes
Newly Registered

Quick Question

Post by Ibes » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:06 am

Hi,

I have my uk passport interview (first passport) tomorrow morning but I still haven't received my old passport or the interview letter.

I know my application reference number which I had used to arrange the interview. Would knowing this reference number be enough to go to the interview or will they insist on seeing the letter and/or my old passport?

Can someone please confirm?

Thanks

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:43 pm

Folks,

Do all adult applicants applying for their first British passport have to attend an interview? Or is it just the 'lucky' ones?

I have just gotten my citizenship approval and will be attending my ceremony in May. My husband and I have a trip in late June and I am trying to work out the probability of receiving my British passport before our trip.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:45 pm

Plum70 wrote:Folks,

Do all adult applicants applying for their first British passport have to attend an interview? Or is it just the 'lucky' ones?

I have just gotten my citizenship approval and will be attending my ceremony in May. My husband and I have a trip in late June and I am trying to work out the probability of receiving my British passport before our trip.
Everyone need to attend an interview (including Brits from birth). It normally takes 2-3 weeks to get the passport (with the interview) so it should be fine.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:02 am

Jambo wrote:
Plum70 wrote: Everyone need to attend an interview (including Brits from birth). It normally takes 2-3 weeks to get the passport (with the interview) so it should be fine.
Alright..that must be loads of work for the IPS!

Thanks Jambo.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:35 pm

Jambo wrote:
Plum70 wrote:Folks,

Everyone need to attend an interview (including Brits from birth). It normally takes 2-3 weeks to get the passport (with the interview) so it should be fine.
They do offer some leniency generally, for those born on or before 2 September 1929.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:16 pm

D4109125 wrote:They do offer some leniency generally, for those born on or before 2 September 1929.
I certainly won't qualify then! :wink:

happy321
Newly Registered

Post by happy321 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:05 pm

Hi All

Can any one of you please let me know that can i travel to india using indian passport after completion of ceremony?

Thanks in advance

dadageer
Mood:

English Requirement B1

Post by dadageer » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:23 pm

Hello all,

I am currently on ILR which was granted to me in Jan 2013 and I will be applying for Naturalisation in Feb 2014. I was on HSMP+Tier-1 before getting ILR status.

My question is regarding this new requirement for English qualification Equivalent to B1. I have already passed Life in the UK test last year as I had to for ILR application. Previously in all my HSMP and Tier-1 application I met English requirement by showing NARIC certificate of my 4-year Engineering Bachelors degree which is Equivalent to British Bachelors.

Do I still need to sit in a PET/IELTS exams to show my English Qualification or my degree equivalency by NARIC will be enough?

Also, I did appear in IELTS way back in 2009-2010 with an overall score of 7.5 but I read somewhere it expires in 2 years..will that be ok for UKBA?

UKBA update:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... st+news%29
Not all those who wander are lost...

l2mz
Newly Registered

Re: English Requirement B1

Post by l2mz » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:14 pm

Does anyone know if I(dual nationality) can ask the custom officer stamp on my passport issued by another country when I come back from abroad?

macgyver

Post by macgyver » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:03 pm

happy321 wrote:Hi All

Can any one of you please let me know that can i travel to india using indian passport after completion of ceremony?

Thanks in advance
Yes you can within the grace period of three months but if yu travel after that there is a fine you will have to pay.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:40 pm

I need some clarity folks:

I will officially become a British Citizen tomorrow and will straight after hand in my British passport application to my Dr. to countersign, otherwise he'll be away from the surgery for some days and I'd like to get this sorted (hopefully) in time for a trip in June.

Will it matter that the date stamp will be on the same day as I naturalise?

Thanks

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:55 pm

Plum70 wrote:I need some clarity folks:

I will officially become a British Citizen tomorrow and will straight after hand in my British passport application to my Dr. to countersign, otherwise he'll be away from the surgery for some days and I'd like to get this sorted (hopefully) in time for a trip in June.

Thanks
Nope

haider2026
Newly Registered

URGENT: Physically Present in UK - Citizenship

Post by haider2026 » Thu May 02, 2013 12:28 pm

Hi

As per requirement i saw the need to be physically present in the UK 5 years prior to the date the citizenship application is received by the home office.

I was granted ILR with my wife and 2 children on 7th June 2012. I am planning to apply via NCS Manchester on 7th June 2013. My concern is this... on 10th June 2008 my wife and child travelled out of UK for 4 months due medical reasons. If the application is received by the home office on 10th or 11th June, will that be an issue?

p.s. they first entered UK as HSMP dependants on 22nd Sept 2007.

Need help with this please.

Peterpan81

Re: URGENT: Physically Present in UK - Citizenship

Post by Peterpan81 » Thu May 02, 2013 3:45 pm

haider2026 wrote:Hi

As per requirement i saw the need to be physically present in the UK 5 years prior to the date the citizenship application is received by the home office.

I was granted ILR with my wife and 2 children on 7th June 2012. I am planning to apply via NCS Manchester on 7th June 2013. My concern is this... on 10th June 2008 my wife and child travelled out of UK for 4 months due medical reasons. If the application is received by the home office on 10th or 11th June, will that be an issue?

p.s. they first entered UK as HSMP dependants on 22nd Sept 2007.

Need help with this please.
When I applied the Guy in NCS Manchester mentioned among his checklist was you have to be physically in the UK when the HO receives your application, and he checked whether I was on Holiday, so it might affect, however you could simply call them and clarify.
Hi I would like to join this forum for the benefit of myself and others

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Wed May 08, 2013 6:22 pm

ban.s wrote:
Plum70 wrote:I need some clarity folks:

Thanks
Nope
Thx Ban.s. My application is with the IPS at the moment so we'll see if you're right! :wink:

junjun24
Newly Registered

Post by junjun24 » Fri May 24, 2013 8:22 pm

I am a EU citizen aged 23 applying for British naturalisation. The problem is I've only been living here in the UK for 5 years and 4 months and according to the Home Office website:
"If you are a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, or you are the family member of such a person, you will automatically have permanent residence status if you have exercised EEA free-movement rights in the UK for a continuous five-year period ending on or after 30 April 2006. You do not need to apply for leave to remain. You should have held permanent residence status for 12 months before you apply for naturalisation."
However, my mother has been living here for more than 6 years, therefore she has exercised EEA free-movement rights and held permanent residence for 12 months. My question is, can my mother and I submit our application together and is it possible for me to be considered as her dependant as I am still living with her or do I need to wait for another one year for me to apply for British Naturalisation?

ukforever
Member of Standing

Post by ukforever » Fri May 24, 2013 8:44 pm

junjun24 wrote:I am a EU citizen aged 23 applying for British naturalisation. The problem is I've only been living here in the UK for 5 years and 4 months and according to the Home Office website:
"If you are a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, or you are the family member of such a person, you will automatically have permanent residence status if you have exercised EEA free-movement rights in the UK for a continuous five-year period ending on or after 30 April 2006. You do not need to apply for leave to remain. You should have held permanent residence status for 12 months before you apply for naturalisation."
However, my mother has been living here for more than 6 years, therefore she has exercised EEA free-movement rights and held permanent residence for 12 months. My question is, can my mother and I submit our application together and is it possible for me to be considered as her dependant as I am still living with her or do I need to wait for another one year for me to apply for British Naturalisation?
i'm afraid u have to wait 1 year and more importantly isl,you need to confirm your PR ,which means u need to send an application EEA3 to the home office for confirmation of PR,then u have to hold it for 12 months and only then u can apply for citizenship,this is what i know,if i'm mistaken,i'm sure someone with more knowledge will step-up to rectify.
UK------++++-------****

junjun24
Newly Registered

Post by junjun24 » Fri May 24, 2013 8:52 pm

I thought EU citizens wiil automatically have permanent residence status after living in the UK for five years. I do have certificates to prove that, i.e. letter from my secondary school, college and uni. Or is it compulsory to apply for EEA3?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri May 24, 2013 9:01 pm

ukforever wrote:
junjun24 wrote:I am a EU citizen aged 23 applying for British naturalisation. The problem is I've only been living here in the UK for 5 years and 4 months and according to the Home Office website:
i'm afraid u have to wait 1 year and more importantly isl,you need to confirm your PR ,which means u need to send an application EEA3 to the home office for confirmation of PR,then u have to hold it for 12 months and only then u can apply for citizenship,this is what i know,if i'm mistaken,i'm sure someone with more knowledge will step-up to rectify.
You are mistaken, you do not need a PR card to prove you have permanent residency. If you have exercised treaty rights as a qualified person for 5 years then you have permanent residency - settlement - 12 months following this you could apply to naturalise providing you meet the other standard requirements unless you are the spouse or civil partner of a British Citizen. The documentary evidence of continuously residing in the UK whilst exercising treaty rights would suffice.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

junjun24
Newly Registered

Post by junjun24 » Fri May 24, 2013 9:04 pm

D4109125 wrote:
ukforever wrote:
You are mistaken, you do not need a PR card to prove you have permanent residency. If you have exercised treaty rights as a qualified person for 5 years then you have permanent residency - settlement - 12 months following this you could apply to naturalise providing you meet the other standard requirements unless you are the spouse or civil partner of a British Citizen.
Thanks ukforever and D4109125 for your responses, it is greatly appreciated!