ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BRP for ILR? Is there any official news?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ilraspirant

BRP for ILR? Is there any official news?

Post by ilraspirant » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:16 pm

I read through all the news but could not find any official statement from UKBA about issuance of Biometric Residence Permits for ILR Applicants.

I have also read this document available as a sticky, but even in this document there is no reference that each successful ILR applicant will be give a BRP. [url][url]http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=91987[/url][/url]

In this URL, refer to "Who needs to apply for a biometric residence permit?" where the answer is:

[b]You do not need to apply for a biometric residence permit if you are: a foreign national applying for permission to settle in the UK[/b]

Am I missing something?

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:41 pm

ilraspirant

Post by ilraspirant » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi Greenie, I was referring to the same link.

Please see the section and relevant statement on that page as mentioned by me above.

Please clarify.

chrisrich

Post by chrisrich » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:54 pm

Tried to get you the link but it takes me back to what Greenie gave you. Found this in the news section on UKBA website. I hope it answers your querry

Biometric residence permits – online checks to simplify the process for employers

06 December 2011

It will soon be much easier for employers to carry out checks to let them know whether foreign nationals have the right to work in the UK, Immigration Minister Damian Green announced today.

From spring 2012, firms will be able to go online to verify that the details contained on a foreign employee's biometric residence permit (BRP) are correct.

Damian Green said:

'It is vital that we work with employers to give them the tools they need to meet their obligations.

'Our new online checking service will also turn up the pressure on those who wish to live and work here illegally. The message is clear - the UK is no longer a soft touch for illegal workers.'

It was also announced that from 29 February 2012 BRPs will be issued to more categories of foreign nationals, including refugees and those granted permission to settle in the UK.

BRPs, which hold a person's fingerprints and photograph on a secure chip, are issued to non-EEA nationals with permission to remain in the UK for more than 6 months. They are an important step forward in the fight against immigration abuse and illegal working.

BRPs are simplifying the process of checking an individual's right to work by replacing the wide range of documents currently in use. The new online checking service for employers will enable quick and easy real-time checks on permits and their holder's identity and right to work in the UK.

Around 600,000 BRPs have been issued since November 2008. From next year they will cover all those applying from inside the UK to remain here for more than 6 months.

To meet increased demand and provide foreign nationals with more locations around the UK where fingerprints and photographs can be taken, the immigration minister has today announced that a contract for the collection of this information has been awarded to the Post Office Ltd.

The contract will run for 4 years and Post Office Ltd will offer a network of around 100 locations from spring 2012.
God has made everything beautiful in its time

hsmpengineer
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by hsmpengineer » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:23 pm

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... tement.pdf

Yea i know, im not liking it either!

ilraspirant

Post by ilraspirant » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:32 pm

:( :( :(

jaskiratbaweja

Post by jaskiratbaweja » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Is this only for people applying for ILR after 29th February?

hsmpengineer
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by hsmpengineer » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:37 pm

@ilraspirant

I'll cheer up if i were you mate, been angry all week but i guess we better take the BRP with a smile as long as it retains all key benefit of the old ILR (i.e. the link to citizenship after 12MONTHS!) I've got a gut feeling the plug on settlement is going to be pulled soon...41 days to ILR for me now....heres to hoping :)

chrisrich

Post by chrisrich » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:04 pm

jaskiratbaweja wrote:Is this only for people applying for ILR after 29th February?

Yes
God has made everything beautiful in its time

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:44 pm

hsmpengineer wrote:@ilraspirant

I'll cheer up if i were you mate, been angry all week but i guess we better take the BRP with a smile as long as it retains all key benefit of the old ILR (i.e. the link to citizenship after 12MONTHS!) I've got a gut feeling the plug on settlement is going to be pulled soon...41 days to ILR for me now....heres to hoping :)
Don't quite understand why you are angry? The introduction of BRPs for those being granted ILR (and other forms of leave) is the result of the UK implementing an EU regulation. It has nothing to do with changing the entitlements of those granted ILR.

hsmpengineer
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by hsmpengineer » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:12 pm

true that. I still prefer having the ILR status in my foreign passport. It is certainly more convinient than this glorified drivers licence being introduced. Even though the EU regulation is the main driver behind the ID card thing, it does not clearly state that leave to remain should seize to be endorsed in passports (i.e both can be done rather than one or the other) if the applicants so wish. you get my drift? wishful thinking though

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:02 pm

hsmpengineer wrote:true that. I still prefer having the ILR status in my foreign passport. It is certainly more convinient than this glorified drivers licence being introduced. Even though the EU regulation is the main driver behind the ID card thing, it does not clearly state that leave to remain should seize to be endorsed in passports (i.e both can be done rather than one or the other) if the applicants so wish. you get my drift? wishful thinking though
Not really. Why is a stamp on the passport more convenient? Passports expire meaning you either need to have the permit transferred to the new passport or carry it round with you. If your passport is stolen then your evidence of your ILR will be stolen too meaning you will have to have it replaced. BRPs are harder to forge and also easier to read and for employers to recognise. they are also more recognisable in Europe.

hsmpengineer
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by hsmpengineer » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:33 pm

Interesting point you make there about then ID's being more recognisable in europe. I think some Tier 1's already have been issued the ID's for a while now. Anyone want to shed more light on how they ID's are recieved in europe? The other thing i found out is the ID cards all have expiry dates even for people with ILR. This I believe may be a source of confusion for some people who may see this as limited leave to remain.

sunil.suneel
Member of Standing

Post by sunil.suneel » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:52 pm

hsmpengineer wrote:Interesting point you make there about then ID's being more recognisable in europe. I think some Tier 1's already have been issued the ID's for a while now. Anyone want to shed more light on how they ID's are recieved in europe? The other thing i found out is the ID cards all have expiry dates even for people with ILR. This I believe may be a source of confusion for some people who may see this as limited leave to remain.
What do you mean the ID cards have expiry date ? I believe it is the expiry of the card just like the driving license cards ... if so its just the card that needs renewal ... the actual data it is linked to will always remain, irrespective of the card validity ?

A question here, whats the validity duration of the card ?

hsmpengineer
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by hsmpengineer » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:57 am

The card will be valid for 10 yrs i think