ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving my American partner to New Zealand

Australia: Points Calculator | Skilled Immigration
New Zealand: Points Calculator | work visas

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jc3013
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Moving my American partner to New Zealand

Post by jc3013 » Mon May 04, 2020 8:25 pm

Hi there,

I have been in a 2-year long-distance relationship with my partner, We have been visiting eachother about every three months in that time.
I currently live in the UK and Her in the US.. I am a New Zealand citizen and we both went there for a holiday recently and are now thinking of migrating over.

The visa information about partners who haven't lived together is quite murky.

Does anyone know if a can apply for my partner to get a partner visa or something like that so we can both move over together?

Thank you for you time :)

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Moving my American partner to New Zealand

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed May 06, 2020 4:18 pm

Hi

Some information is available here:

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zea ... idence-USA

Universally, for the purpose of immigration, if you are not married, you need to show that you are in a relation akin to marriage with same address, joint commitments... etc. Usually a remote relation involving seeing each other a few days every quarter won't qualify anyone for partner visa.

I am quoting from the page above:
Partnership requirements
You must be able to show us that you're living together in a genuine and stable relationship before we can grant you a visa based on your partnership.

Living together means sharing the same home as your partner, which doesn’t include:

spending time in each other’s homes while you each maintain your own home
sharing accommodation while on holiday
flatmate arrangements.
These provisions are not specific to NZ. They are standard really.

You probably need to think marriage here.