ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visiting or Emigrating to Australia with Drink Driving conviction.

Australia: Points Calculator | Skilled Immigration
New Zealand: Points Calculator | work visas

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Bertie1969
Newly Registered
Mood:

Visiting or Emigrating to Australia with Drink Driving conviction.

Post by Bertie1969 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:08 pm

Hey Guys

I have been having discussions about visiting Australia and possibly Emigrating there in the future. I have always wanted to emigrate to Australia. I have a couple of things on my criminal record.

15 years ago I got a breach of the peace charge. No jail time.

1 year ago I got charged for drunk driving which is a criminal offence. I got fined and banned but no jail time.

Will these charges prevent me visiting or possibly Emigrating to Australia?

Will they even delay any visa application?

Many thanks for reading ;)

FTH
Newly Registered

Re: Visiting or Emigrating to Australia with Drink Driving conviction.

Post by FTH » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:45 pm

First answer is don't lie to the Australian authorities even for a tourist visa. Be upfront and truthful. The Aussies have become very efficient and everything is electronic.

Australia has had a dim view on drink driving and it has been getting dimmer.

As the conviction does not appear to be more than 12 months, you should be ok, but you may not be able to get a visa / ESTA online. Best step would be ask about obtaining a tourist visa from the High Commission.

Generally the longer the visa is for, visitor, temporary work or PR, the stricter the conditions are. My tourists visa was instant and online, my temporary work took a couple of weeks, my PR application took a few months.

Other point to watch is your age and health if you are looking to move permanently.