ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Adopted in Australia - Birth Mother British Citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

NotTheNorm
Newly Registered

Adopted in Australia - Birth Mother British Citizen

Post by NotTheNorm » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:49 am

Any help would be appreciated :)

I am an adopted person. My birth mother was born in the UK but moved to Australia at the age of 4 with her British family. Later in life she became pregnant with me, and I was born in Sydney (1969). I was then given up for adoption. Two Australians adopted me, and became my wonderful parents.

Even though I was adopted, and my birth mother is British born, am I still entitled to be "British by Descent"? What are the legalities?

I know that if a UK mother gives birth in Australia, that child is British by Descent, but what are the rights of the child when a mother has given the child up? British blood flows through my veins...is this recognised :?:

I want to have the freedom to visit my British roots and explore the UK without having to worry about visa time frames. Obtaining a British Passport / Dual Citizenship is something I would like to do if I am able.

Thanking you in advance :)

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:40 am

I am not aware of any provision whereby being adopted out removes someone's claim to Right of Abode or British citizenship via UKM.

Do you have:

a. documentary proof of your link to your birth mother; and
b. proof she was born in Britain?

NotTheNorm
Newly Registered

Post by NotTheNorm » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:17 am

Thank you JAJ, I do hope you are right. I have spend hours on the internet trying to find out about this.
a. documentary proof of your link to your birth mother; and
I have my "original" birth certificate which shows she is my mother and that she was born in Bedfordshire, England. The birth certificate has been stamped with "not for official use" though, I believe they do this so I don't take on two identities since I was renamed.
b. proof she was born in Britain?
I have a scanned copy of her Birth Certificate stating she was born in Luton but not the full type (with her parents details as well).

I also have what is called a "Supply Authority" which is my "passport to the past" so to speak. This document also has attached a copy of the "adoption order" but does not make mention of her British roots, but does show her name, including maiden name.

JulesN19

Post by JulesN19 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:39 am

You should order a certified copy of your biological mother's birth certificate. You may do this online from the General Register Office site if you know all her details.

If the copy of your birth certificate is marked as not being for official use, then you should try to get some sort of certified copy that is capable of being used as legal evidence. It should at least state your name at birth, date of birth, and biological mother's name.

If the adoption order changed your name, then you should definitely get a certified copy from the relevant court. This will help to show that the person named on your Australian passport and the person named on your birth certificate are the same person.

By the way, one alternative to registering as a British citizen is to apply to have a Certificate of Entitlement to a Right of Abode in the UK placed in your Australian passport--not that this would be a better option than getting a British passport.