ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

beeba

Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

Post by beeba » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:04 pm

Hi,

I am filling form AN and would be grateful if someone please give advice on few points. These may be very basic silly questions but I am confused.

I came here in UK in Oct 2001 on work permit and after finishing my project I went back to my country in March 2003. Then I came here in Jul 2005 on HSMP and since then I am living here. Got ILR in july2009. My questions regarding the form An are,

1. In section 2.1 where it asks about Date and place of first arrival in the UK. Which date should I put? Oct2001 or July 2005?

2. What should be the order of days spent outside UK, should I start from the last visit going backward to my first visit since 2005.

3. For the last five year addresses should I put my current address first in section 1.17 and what should I put in TO: can I put TO: DATE would that be OK.

Thanks and Regards,

Beeba

Backer
Member of Standing

Post by Backer » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:36 pm

1. In section 2.1 where it asks about Date and place of first arrival in the UK. Which date should I put? Oct2001 or July 2005?

If you lived in the UK back the I would would Oct 2001. In any case, the last 5 years is what counts.

2. What should be the order of days spent outside UK, should I start from the last visit going backward to my first visit since 2005.

What counts are the last 5 years so this is what you should give.

3. For the last five year addresses should I put my current address first in section 1.17 and what should I put in TO: can I put TO: DATE would that be OK

A list of your past addresses (in the last 5 years) and periods you lived in them[/b]

beeba

Post by beeba » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:33 am

Many Thanks Backer for the answers but my second and third questions are a bit different.

May be I could'nt explain it clearly..Sorry for the confusion and asking very simple questions. Please let me ask in the other way.

If I visited Malta in 2006, Canada in 2007 and Italy in 2008, which trip should I mention first in the form AN as time spent outside th UK. Should I put 2006 trip first or 2008?

Other question is if am living on my current address since 15-09-2008 I will put this date in the form where it asks From -15-09-2008 To:
What should I put against TO: Can I put simply word DATE or should I put todays date as 11-07-2010

Now one more new question is how specific dates should be for the last 5 years. e.g should I put 15-09-2008 or just Sep-2009.

Thanks

Backer
Member of Standing

Post by Backer » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:12 pm

If I visited Malta in 2006, Canada in 2007 and Italy in 2008, which trip should I mention first in the form AN as time spent outside th UK. Should I put 2006 trip first or 2008?

You start with the oldest trip and work you way up to the present. The recommended format is alreay in the form
Other question is if am living on my current address since 15-09-2008 I will put this date in the form where it asks From -15-09-2008 To:
What should I put against TO: Can I put simply word DATE or should I put todays date as 11-07-2010

Say From 15/9/2009 to "present" - or use the day you submit the form. It really makes no difference.

Now one more new question is how specific dates should be for the last 5 years. e.g should I put 15-09-2008 or just Sep-2009.

No. You have to be as specific as you can with actual dates. In terms of calculating absence do not count days you left or arrived.

beeba

Post by beeba » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:04 am

Thanks Backer for the reply.

beeba

Post by beeba » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:18 pm

Hi,

As many people ask questions about AN form, I would request to put a sticky or a separate category relating AN form if its possible.

Many Thanks,

Beeba

denin
Newly Registered

Post by denin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:32 pm

Yes please, I agree..
beeba wrote:Hi,

As many people ask questions about AN form, I would request to put a sticky or a separate category relating AN form if its possible.

Many Thanks,

Beeba

John

Post by John » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:08 pm

This is now a sticky.
John

beeba

Post by beeba » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:11 pm

John wrote:This is now a sticky.
John, Thank you very much.

johnvfc
Newly Registered

Post by johnvfc » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:37 pm

Hello,

I read the form guide and I am still confused. Can someone please help me fill in few questions in the form?

In Section 2.1 (Date and Place of first arrival in the UK)

1. I arrived in UK on September 2004. But I don't remember the exact day. It was either 12 or 14th of September. What to do write in the day field?

In Section 2.2 (Absences from UK)

1. I remember most of my absences and they are less than 150 days. What happens if I forgot one or two absences (which are less than 10 days per absence)?

2. Sometimes I left UK one day and returned the next one. E.g. 15/08/2010 to 16/08/2010. Practically I was 0 days away. Do I need to write down this period or no?

In Section 1.3 (Please enter the day when you were given indefinite leave to enter/remain)

As I am from EEA I read the related guide section but I am still confused.

I arrived on September 2004 and I was studying until September 2005.
From September 2005 till now (September 2010) I have been working without breaks (I have 5 P60s).

Do I have to apply ILR?
What date to I put on this field?

In Section 1.22 (Sufficient knowledge in UK)

I have passed the Life in UK test and I have written the number. There is another check box under the test number "I passed the Life in the UK test to qualify for settlement" do I need to check this or no?

In Section 3.5 (Address or tax office or tax office reference)

What do I write in this field? Do I have ask this information from my current employer?

In Section 6.6 (although I do not meet all of the statutory requirements for naturalisation, I believe
that, in view of the following special circumstances, the Home Secretary should treat me as fulfilling
those requirements or waive the need in my case to fulfil them)

I believe that I do meet all of the statutory requirements for naturalization. In that case do I have to delete that sentence and NOT check the box?

Thank you very much
John

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:58 pm

i will give my best shot

2.1 Just pick one, at the end of the day it doesnt actually matter because you will need to prove you were in UK 5years from the date of application

2.2 I dont it will be too much of a problem if you forget a few, especially taking into account that absences are way below the amount allowed for

Fill in the days but put 0 days, in the absence column

1.3 Enter the day you got PR if you didnt formally apply then enter the 5year mark from the date you first entered (again i know u not too sure what day you actually entered, so use the same day as in 1). experts please advised

1.22 Do not tick the settlement box, fill in the naturalisation box and makesure you attach the certificate when apply

3.5 Employer will have this. Also check on your P60

6.6 Do NOT tick the box, just delete the statement

hope that helps

johnvfc
Newly Registered

Post by johnvfc » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:29 pm

Hello f2k and thank you very much for your answers.
Most of my questions have been answered.

However I am still unsure about the following:

In Section 1.3 (Please enter the day when you were given indefinite leave to enter/remain)

So assuming that I arrived legally in UK in 12th of Sep 2004.
When is the date I got PR? (I thought EE nationals have automatically PR and Indefinite leave to remain according to the guide).
As far as I have understood from the documentation guide you get ILR after 5 years. Thus the date I should write is: 12th of Sep 2009 ? or no

I booked appointment to apply with nationality checking service and they send me a letter which mentions required documents I need to provide:

In the required document list it includes the following:
Proof of their indefinite Leave to Remain status

How do I get that if I am EE?

Thank you

beeba

Post by beeba » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:22 pm

A quick simple question,

On the naturalisation certificate there are two numbers,

1. Certificate Number:XXXXXXXX
2. Reference Number: XXXXXXXX (This is actually previous HO Ref Number)

Now on form AN section 1.34 where it asks

If your partner is a nturalised British citizen, give citizenship certificate reference number.

Which Number will go on the AN form to apply for Naturalisation as a spouse of British citizen?

Thanks

beeba

Post by beeba » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:19 am

Please use this thread for AN form queries.

Thanks

vasu347
Newly Registered

2.1 First Arrival date and place in UK and Passports Questio

Post by vasu347 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:10 pm

Hi Please help, what date shall i fill up?

1. I am in UK from 2002 as in Student Visa. I got HSMP in 2005. Please let me Know what date shall i put in the application Form?
2002 or 2005

2. I got 2 passports (Expired and Latest one). Do i need to submit Both passports, whe i am applying.

Please advise.

Thanks
Vasu

beeba

Re: 2.1 First Arrival date and place in UK and Passports Que

Post by beeba » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:59 pm

vasu347 wrote:Hi Please help, what date shall i fill up?

1. I am in UK from 2002 as in Student Visa. I got HSMP in 2005. Please let me Know what date shall i put in the application Form?
2002 or 2005

2. I got 2 passports (Expired and Latest one). Do i need to submit Both passports, whe i am applying.

Please advise.

Thanks
Vasu
If you re-entered the UK by applying HSMP from outside the UK then put 2005 but if you changed your status from within the UK then put 2002 and the name of the port. Hope this helps.

You should send both passports if both are linked to UK visa/immigration.

Regards.

taliska

Post by taliska » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:52 pm

beeba wrote:A quick simple question,

If your partner is a nturalised British citizen, give citizenship certificate reference number.

Which Number will go on the AN form to apply for Naturalisation as a spouse of British citizen?

Thanks
I thinks this means if your partner is Naturalised - therefore they obtained citizenship through living here and not by Birth. So if your spouse was Born British then you won't need this but if they were Naturalised, they should have the cerificate which they received when they attended their ceremony and the number should be on there

beeba

Post by beeba » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:05 pm

taliska wrote:
beeba wrote:A quick simple question,

Thanks
I thinks this means if your partner is Naturalised - therefore they obtained citizenship through living here and not by Birth. So if your spouse was Born British then you won't need this but if they were Naturalised, they should have the cerificate which they received when they attended their ceremony and the number should be on there
Thanks. But the question was a little different.

iwantILR
Newly Registered

FORM AN Various queries

Post by iwantILR » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:35 pm

Hi there
I'm sorry if the following questions have been answered elsewhere but would be grateful if someone could throw some pointers to my few queries here.
Background - We are a family of three and got our ILR in Sep 2009. Now applying for naturalisation.
1. Do I need to fill 1 form each for me & my wife? Sorry for this silly one.
2. Shameful yet fact, 1st question 1.1 I'm not sure what to fill as the ILR (HSMP JR) letter given to us has Case ID number but ref# fields are blank.
3. My wife's a homemaker. What shall we fill-in for questons 3.1-3.4 and 3.5 which asks about occupation, employer, employed status and address of employer. there are no fields for others.
4. 3.5 asks about address of tax office or tax office reference - what shall I fill in?IS that for self-employed people?
5. My daughter would complete 5 yrs in Dec. I'm not sure how we got ILR last year when she'd not completed 4yrs (although we both had). Is it ok to apply for her in MN1 as the ILR letter says it can be done from Sep 2010 or shall I wait until she's completed 5yrs in UK in Dec?

Many thanks in advance for all your advice.
Rgds
Desirer

geriatrix

Re: FORM AN Various queries

Post by geriatrix » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:43 pm

iwantILR,

1. Be sure that your wife qualifies for naturalisation at the same time as you (see standard requirements).
Form AN, page 7 wrote:A partner who is not a British citizen and wishes to apply must submit a separate application.
5. Is your daughter born in the UK? And what is her age?

Also see Fees leaflet and Mid-year fee increases for immigration and nationality.

regards

iwantILR
Newly Registered

Post by iwantILR » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:05 pm

Thanks SushDMehta.
1. yes my wife qualifies at the same time as me. (We got ILR last year together for all three of us. I've checked all conditions.)
5. My daughter was born outside UK and now she's 5+yrs old.

Any idea about section 3.1-3.4 please?
Rgds
BC Desirer

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:15 pm

iwantILR wrote:My daughter was born outside UK and now she's 5+yrs
An application for registration as British citizen may be submitted at the time of either parent's naturalisation. Registration subject to discretion (3(1)). Use MN1 form.

regards

iwantILR
Newly Registered

Post by iwantILR » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:06 pm

Thanks SushDMehta. could someone else be able to guide with regards to what we should fill in section 3.1-3.4 for my wife about her employment as she's a housewife?
I might be asking too many now but with regards to referee - my friend is a manager in a PLC - it is listed in the accepted list of professionals - just wanted to double-check with experts. Secondly, is it ok to get a retired British friend to act as a referee?
I'm grateful to all already for these advice.
Rgds
BC desirer

John

Post by John » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:51 pm

Have you looked at the form AN? And then at page 24 of the Guide? Isn't the Guide very clear?
John

saurya_s

Post by saurya_s » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:11 pm

[quote="f2k"]i will give my best shot

2.1 Just pick one, at the end of the day it doesnt actually matter because you will need to prove you were in UK 5years from the date of application

/quote]

To show this you will need to prove you were in UK 5years from the date of application do you need to show that you were not absence from the UK or something else?
Many thanks
S